VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Yep

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:41:13 06/20/17 Tue
In reply to: Calvin 's message, "Re: Yep" on 12:21:16 06/20/17 Tue

Gotta go with Calvin on this one.

North Carolina played in the last two national championships game. It took a Kris Jenkins buzzer beater to lose the first one. The Tar Heels are not too far from being the two-time defending national champion as we speak.

Sure, a national championship sounds like more of a reach than a mere Ivy title. But programs like the Tar Heels can realistically think that way more than Dartmouth can realistically think of an Ivy trophy, or even playing at The Palestra next March.

Alabama football will win its next national championship before Dartmouth football wins its next Ivy title. You can book it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: You brought it up, not me

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:49:45 06/20/17 Tue

I'll take Dartmouth achieving fourth over any single team winning the NC next season.

Penn should indeed be improved next season. Maybe even good enough to earn a split against Dartmouth.

Should also add that if you want to ask someone whether its more fun to be scrub for a NC or join probably-not-ready-for-prime-time Dartmouth, we can always go ask an expert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawford_Palmer

And this is a guy who actually did see playing time--albeit not much--for the reigning ACC power.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You brought it up, not me

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:52:48 06/20/17 Tue

I think that the right expert to consult on this question is Andrew Hatch.

"Andrew, which option would you be more willing to forego? Telling prospective employers about your Harvard degree or recounting to attractive young women stories of your winning the national championship at LSU?"

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Extrapolation for $100, Alex

Author:
Clavin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:40:39 06/20/17 Tue

I never cease to be amazed how, with an apparent straight face, you construct arguments based on what someone else says or did, ergo it must be true for everyone else, too. Law school, even in western PA, must provide some powerful antidote to common sense.

Crawford Palmer is (was, 30 years ago) his own case. Walker Miller is his own case. Young Mr. Miller has made his decision, right or wrong (I think basketball is the wrong standard, but I'm neither 18 nor Mr. Miller). He has decided the chance of sneaking into that ivy tournament does not equal his chance of being on a NC team. I doubt a phone call from Palmer would change his mind.

Here's an offer for you, if you are truly serious (versus merely being argumentative because you love arguing). If Dartmouth finishes 4th or higher in the League next year, I will cease posting for 3 months. If they don't, you will cease for 3 months. Deal?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: How about this?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:56:19 06/20/17 Tue

Pick any college basketball team you want. Duke, UNC, Gonzaga, whoever.

If they finish closer to winning the NC than Dartmouth does finishing fourth in the Ivy, I will stop posting for three months. If Dartmouth is closer, then you stop for three months.

And if your team wins the NC and Dartmouth finishes fourth or better, then its a draw.

Deal?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Mutual suicide pacts don't work well for either party

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:17:10 06/20/17 Tue

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I've got my popcorn

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:24:14 06/20/17 Tue

I thought Dartmouth guys liked a good food fight? Are you telling me Animal House was inaccurate?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: My offer was simple and clear

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:32:02 06/20/17 Tue

How could anyone ever determine how a team finishes "closer"? Why try to complicate matters or leave a lawyer's "out"?

If you are so certain, then say yes to my very simple and unambiguous offer. If you don't accept, it's clear you don't truly believe what you have claimed.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: You mean this?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:35:16 06/20/17 Tue

"I'll take Dartmouth achieving fourth over any single team winning the NC next season."

Which of course was in response to your claim that "UNC winning the NC seems more likely to me than DC getting 4th in the ivies next year."

Even AO thinks you should take the bet.

As for "closer," what exactly was your definition when you made your claim that UNC was more likely to win the NC than Dartmouth was to take fourth?

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.