VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: 3*** Cali QB commits to Penn

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:19:02 06/28/17 Wed

Mason Quantd

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: 3*** Cali QB commits to Penn

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:27:03 06/28/17 Wed

Quandt

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: 3*** Cali QB commits to Penn

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:09:52 06/29/17 Thu

Hope he gets in. 4.0 ain't what it used to be (not that I would have any personal experience in the matter).

[> [> [> Subject: Re: 3*** Cali QB commits to Penn

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:18:55 06/30/17 Fri

I had thought all these years that a 4.0 from a school like Exeter Academy was scored differently than a 4.0 from some random high school, but in listening to an interview with our squash coach he specifically stated that for AI scoring purposes, they are scored identically.

Obviously that might not be true when evaluating the thousands in the non athlete part of the application pool. They obviously look at honors and AP courses etc when making a yes/no decision.

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:00:01 06/29/17 Thu

Congrats to the young man.

But what's the basis for his three-star ranking? Best I can tell, he only has Ivy offers.

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:31:56 06/29/17 Thu

That's a fair question. I think the answer was a very strong performance at the Nike Regional Camp in LA in March.

From what I read, he was very focused on the Ivy League the entire time. Last year he had an excellent season as a 1st year starter at St. Bonaventure in Cali. He's transferred to Sierra Canyon for his senior year. Sierra Canyon has sent many kids to the Ivies, including two rising sophomores on the current Penn team.

There are a ton of articles on the internet. Here's one recent one;

http://www.recruitingnewsguru.com/2018-california-qb-mason-quandt-goes-depth-upenn-football-commitment/

[> [> [> Subject: Re: 3*** Cali QB commits to Penn

Author:
Unknown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:05:13 06/29/17 Thu

Any insight as to why he is transferring? Is it a warning sign of another Michael Collins?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 3*** Cali QB commits to Penn

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:44:08 06/30/17 Fri

I'll never really understand the Collins transfer although he did explicitly state why. It's not that I think The Ivy League is for everyone, Penn just seemed like a better fit for him on most fronts: 1) academic prestige 2) alumni network 3) playing time opportunity 4) proximity to home. But... whatever. He certainly would have come into the spring as a front runner, but even his opportunity at Penn was no guarantee.

As for Quandt, Sierra Canyon is a private school with a top notch academic reputation. Besides that they have a very strong football program. I think they were 16-0 last year and won the California Div 2 State Championships. This one I do understand.

[> [> Subject: I wonder

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:19:57 06/29/17 Thu

whether he will go to Wharton and become a quant

[> [> [> Subject: Re: I wonder

Author:
colorless raider
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:12:47 06/29/17 Thu

Not a bad idea these days. Not much demand for my Gate major-History.

[> [> [> Subject: my son worked at a quant shop

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:40:04 06/29/17 Thu

until he moved south, it's one of the biggest around. He said they had legions of mainly Chinese and Indian programmers doing algos all day long

[> [> [> Subject: Re: I wonder

Author:
Cautionary
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:34:12 06/30/17 Fri

Competing to see who can do the most damage to the economy, no doubt.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: I wonder

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:34:07 06/30/17 Fri

some of them used to pay huge state taxes then David Tepper decided to move to a more tax friendly state and left NJ with a budget deficit
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-05/new-jersey-fiscal-peril-david-tepper-departs

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: I wonder

Author:
Cautionary
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:28:02 06/30/17 Fri

Holtsie, another demonstration of civic responsibility. Remember, the guys at Lehman, Citigroup, and Bear Stearns paid taxes, but that doesn't excuse what they did.

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:36:52 06/30/17 Fri

Exactly right.

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:39:47 06/30/17 Fri

To clarify, my "exactly right" comment was responding to the "damage to the economy" comment above.

[> Subject: we know

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:58:29 06/30/17 Fri

and that you hate Penn State too

[> [> Subject: don't worry

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:03:46 06/30/17 Fri

my daughter even though she went undergrad there has a MSW from Fordham and a MPH from NYU so she is a certified leftie despite her father's best effort to pull her back from the dark side
It was either Jake Novak's or Henny Youngman's line that went

"ask me how much it cost

how much did it cost

"Don't ask"

[> [> [> Subject: Re: don't worry

Author:
Roar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:32:12 06/30/17 Fri

Holtsledge,

You should be PROUD of your daughter!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: don't worry

Author:
Roar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:33:00 06/30/17 Fri

And maybe you are.

[> [> Subject: I am

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:44:45 07/01/17 Sat

very much so, because of her the world is a better place. She works for an international non profit aid group and travels overseas to various places. As a matter of fact her salary this year is 5K less than her last years tuition at NYU.

[> [> [> Subject: as a matter of fact

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:13:22 07/01/17 Sat

she has volunteered at this camp for almost 10 yrs and any contributions would be greatly appreciated
https://elm-project.org/

[> [> [> Subject: Re: I am

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:24:30 07/01/17 Sat

My view is that the economy and the world cannot run without a certain percentage of the population focussed on efficiency and profit-maximization. And across different countries and economies, the more of those people, the better. But you don't WANT to live in a world where EVERYBODY is focussed on profit-maximization.

Thank goodness for your daughter and people like her, Holtsie.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Agree, with one caveat

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:38:05 07/01/17 Sat

Everything is wonderful, right up until, as Margaret Thatcher put it: "they run out of other people's money".

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:25:34 07/01/17 Sat

I don't exactly hate Penn State. Just so you know, I used to be in the Penn (UPenn) administration and, in that job, had constant and substantial exposure to PSU, so my thoughts about it are based on real experience.

My criticism of Penn State is that, IMHO, the extreme PSU-style warping of the relationship between athletics and academics will not be good for this nation over the long haul in our competition with global competitors. Again, IMHO, we're over-emphasizing the wrong stuff.

I've worked in China and other parts of Asia, and I can report that the Chinese look at the ridiculous amounts of treasure that we squander on this nonsense and piss down their legs laughing at our self-destruction, while they pour similar amounts of treasure into STEM and huge economic development.

Maybe I'm wrong of course, but that's my view based on my slice of life experience. I don't intend to disrespect any Penn Staters out there. I just think that their priorities are putting the U.S. on a losing track.

Author:
Ivy Voyeur
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:37:19 07/04/17 Tue

I agree with Boston Lion's point. Universities are cultural centers as well as educational centers, and for better or worse university preseidents are cultural leaders. Their budgeting priorities, also for better or worse, teach about appropriate emphases. So when the football or basketball coach is the highest paid employee on campus, it says something about how the learned university president tells us to value football or basketball relative to physics or literature. Their rationalizations of the reasons they don't get their respective houses in order also teach about principles and courage. It's one of the debilitating curruptions dragging at the heart of the American economy. Imagine if the U presidents actually had the guts to take an effective stand!

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:03:12 07/08/17 Sat

The principles of self-selection virtually ensure that guts and the overwhelming majority of moden university presidents parted company decades ago. Exhibit 1: That cowering s**mbag, and now convicted jailbird, Spanier, at Penn State. Exhibit 2: The virtually silent (I've heard less out of her than we have from the non-speaking first son-in-law, Jared Kushner) and impactless Drew Faust at what used to be a great university in eastern Massachusetts.

Author:
Drew24
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:19:45 07/08/17 Sat

Really China pours money into only quality infrastructure and STEM? How are those Olympic facilities being used right about now? How many useless cities were built that no one lives in? Bridges to nowhere. Spending money on the Waldorf... All financed by debt which is growing at 2.5x the growth of the economy...as for STEM, they have created nothing, only try to "buy" it (i.e. Steal it). Anyone with money is trying to get it out and they have a serious aging issue.

Now I know why I never agree with any of your points...those who can't do, teach, those who can't teach, become administrators!

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:07:42 07/08/17 Sat

Been to China lately, or ever? They don't have insipid wastes of resources like college sports factories where the coaches earn a ridiculous 6X the president's salary and a more ridiculous 30X the state governor's salary.

As far as your snark goes, I won't fire back, but I will say that it works better when you don't outrun your facts. I said that I USED TO BE an administrator at Penn. I've been a public and private company tech company exec in the private sector for the past 20+ years.

Author:
Drew24
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:43:07 07/08/17 Sat

Yes...just got back thank you..Shanghai and Beijing. No they don't have college coaches who make 6x but they do have a kleptocracy where people solely thru connections to a Communist Party became billionaires. Please explain what the bird's nest is being used for...please refute the alarming debt load the country has and the thousnds of crappy companies that are bankrupt but are being propped up by bad loans..every company I saw over there was barely making any money yet wanted to be valued at book in merger context...that place is a powder keg waiting to explode unfortunately.

As a tech exec you should know that they haven't developed anything on tech side...they steal it. Maybe they should pay college coaches 6x the President if in exchange they create a functioning capital markets, bankruptcy law and develop as opposed to steal innovation.

Plus as regards Sandusky, I could see the sports angle except older men praying on your boys and girls occurs far too often to say PSU was blind do to sports obsession. For example, Horace Mann, Poly Prep, Exeter, St. George's, St. Paul's all had similar issues...were those due to over-emphasis on sports? Unfortunately, administrators ignored these reports whether it was a defensive coordinator or a French teacher. Repeatedly calling out PSU when it also occurred in the rarefied halls of just about every boarding school does seem to indicate that you have an agenda to push against PSU and sports in general.

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:33:49 07/09/17 Sun

Yeah, I'm against sports in general. That's why I'm on this board.

You make a valid point about the preps.

I'm not branding China as faultless. What I am saying is that we've got serious new global competition, so unless we want to be roadkill, we have to re-focus on our tech/industrial core instead of warping our higher ed priorities to the ridiculous extent that university presidents find themselves reporting up to athletics coaches. PSU's President Spanier was once quoted as saying that he was just glad that Paterno didn't fire him.

Debt? A citizen of the debt-addicted U.S. calling out another nation for excessive borrowing. Priceless.

Btw, you're kidding about men "praying" on boys and girls, right? That might happen in church but probably not at PSU ("preying" on?). And it can't be "do" to sports obsession; it' can only be "due" to sports obsession.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.