VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Ivy Football Preview

Author:
IvyFBDad
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:38:02 06/29/17 Thu

Nice little preview:
http://footballgameplan.com/fbgps-fcs-kickoff-2017-ivy-league-season-preview/

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Ivy Football Preview

Author:
The Mountain Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:33:13 06/29/17 Thu

Best preview I have ever seen on Ivy League Football. Happy to see that Game Plan selected four Lions as pre-season All Ivies -Milstein, Hyemang, Ruane and Wainwright. Also, GP picked out a very good freshman prospect to highlight in 6'5" 240 tight end Cameron Lipton-Martinez from Montclair, NJ.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Football Preview

Author:
Acob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:44:19 06/30/17 Fri

Good effort. Curious. Did Brown decline to participate or is this a winless year?
Thought there are some quality guys returning.

[> [> Subject: No Wonder Bagnoli Is the Best

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:38:40 06/30/17 Fri

I agree with you, Mountain Lion. No wonder Bagnoli is the best.

What is more, I recently emailed Peter Pilling, Columbia's AD. I told him he was doing an absolutely superlative job. Pilling was, after all, the man who brought Bagnoli to Columbia. Also, Pilling is lifting all other Columbia sports to new heights.

Tod Howard Hawks CC 66

[> [> [> Subject: Re: No Wonder Bagnoli Is the Best

Author:
Upper Valley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:17:49 06/30/17 Fri

Bagnoli is off to a great start. I think it's premature to anoint him the best, as least if we're comparing Ivy football coaches.

But if he turns Columbia into a consistent winner with, say, two or three conference championships before he retires, then -- yes -- I would say he is literally the best we've ever had.

Turning around Columbia football is not at all like turning around Harvard basketball, though the latter had even one fewer Ivy title upon his arrival. Amaker is of course also doing very well, but Harvard has given him an advantage, not a disadvantage, in terms of winning titles. Coaching football at Columbia is the greatest turnaround project in our conference.

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:45:54 06/30/17 Fri

Looks like Princeton is the team to beat. I find it interesting that Al Bagnoli said that the talent in the league is at its zenith. No one would know better than him.

[> [> Subject: Talent will probably continue to increase

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:48:08 06/30/17 Fri

In the current decade, Dartmouth has been bringing roughly 10-15 guys a year who had scholarship offers (at least if you count the military academies).

That wasn't happening in the 1990s or 2000s.

I can only assume the rest of the league has seen comparable jumps in recruiting.

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:34:30 06/30/17 Fri

Based on that preview, Penn seems to be the favorite because of all of the talent it will return on defense with Princeton challenging based on its veteran OL and potent two-headed QB attack. For those teams the question marks will be around the performance curve of new starters: Penn's UGA transfer at QB and Princeton's new LBs and DBs. And injuries of course are the x-factor; I somehow missed that H's stud OL Allen would not be playing this year.

Author:
Brown Bear Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:14:01 06/30/17 Fri

Acob - I hope Brown was inadvertently excluded. Maybe they declined. They had zero love in that piece. They even left out last years All-Ivy DE Dewey Jarvis. I look forward to a good season with lots of "post season" All Ivies. Quality guys are returning- on offense Linta, Casey, Harriott, Montano, Okwara all started some if not all games last season. On D they will be very strong with Jarvis, Thompkins, Hoecht, Varner, Dovi et al. Good recruiting class too and also guys who were injured last year come back.

Author:
Penn Pop
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:35:41 06/30/17 Fri

Great Ivy season preview. Looks like the early favorites are Princeton, Penn and Harvard.

Author:
Sr Punter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:06:46 06/30/17 Fri

Acob, Old Boy, and BBF, Brown's mentions were somewhat limited, but the Frosh QB was shown in the key recruits section and a brief, but not negative, segment appears at 15:10. I believe that the possibility a winning (Ivy) season was even mentioned.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:50:27 06/30/17 Fri

Thanks for the post and a nice report on the Ivy League. Granted it's been a long time since Cornell had anything to boast about in terms of Ivy Football. However, the good news on defense nearly our entire unit is coming back along with star LB Miles Norris who was granted a 5th year. Those guys kept us in a lot of games last year.

On offense we're getting back All-Ivy RB Chris Walker and All Ivy QB Dalton Banks. The good news is receiver Colin Shaw was also granted a 5th year of eligibility. My concern on offense is we have a new offensive coordinator, so I hope he doesn't change the offense too much. During the spring game he was running no huddle which we have tried before and it didn't work very well. The games we won last year we ran the ball well and controlled time of possession, but if we do more "Dance and Prance" Clemson style football again it will be a long season.

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:17:14 06/30/17 Fri

Clemson has done okay the last two years. Even Alabama became more "dance and prance" after Kiffin arrived. Part of it is simply recognizing that the 53-yard width of the field had not been fully exploited by previous generations of offense. You can spread the field and still run right over people. Look at Stanford. In fact, it can be easier to run over people because you can better isolate the defenders you want to block with double-teams. What Stanford does is a thing of beauty.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:10:42 07/01/17 Sat

Observer....agreed we actually have several friends who attended Clemson and we enjoy watching the Tigers. Unfortunately at Cornell we don't have their RB's with 4.3 speed, where they run that Run-Pass Option (RPO). Every time Cornell runs the ball out of that formation we get stuffed.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Football Preview

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:06:46 07/01/17 Sat

I have absolutely loved watching Clemson the past two years. And you're right, having running backs with 4.3 speed (you know, like Harvard does) helps, as does having a guy like the Tigers' quarterback -- what's his name again?

These things move in cycles. Cornell will improve someday but, from your perspective, I fear that it will require moving past Archer. Until that happens, hang in there.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:49:20 07/01/17 Sat

I hate the spread all the time as its like watching Canadien Football. No pass action and it's like the same play over and over. Where in the NFL they play lots of formations and it's a much better game.

[> [> [> [> Subject: When you pass only 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:57:46 07/01/17 Sat

Woody Hayes was correct when he said that.

Author:
Acob (Correctiom)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:56:56 07/01/17 Sat

Was it not Darrell Royal who said rhar

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Football Preview

Author:
Diogenes (Acob)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:34:03 07/05/17 Wed

Acob,

I "googled around" on your question and the "internetwisdom" is that Darrell Royal said it, but he attributed it to Woody Hayes and always gave Hayes credit for the phrase. Also, it appears that some claim the famous Tennessee coach, Neyland, said it before Hayes.

Sorry to delay a response to you--I got covfefed on the Fourth.

[> Subject: When you run only 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad

Author:
gags
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:28:40 07/01/17 Sat

You can gain, you can lose, you can fumble.
WoodY didn't like pass football for other reasons, but he knew that a quotable quip was needed to stop the press from constant quibbling.

[> [> Subject: Woody should have said 6 things can happen and 5 of them are bad

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:31:04 07/01/17 Sat

You can have a completion for a loss, a QB sack, a fumble, an interception, an incompletion or a completed pass for a gain.

[> [> [> Subject: Actually he should have said 6 out of 7

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:28:02 07/01/17 Sat

You can rush onto the field and punch a player who just made an interception.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Actually he should have said 6 out of 7

Author:
Diogenes (Calvin)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:54:21 07/01/17 Sat

Not to put too fine a point on disgraceful conduct, but I thought Hayes punched the player a foot or two out of bounds--or maybe he punched somebody else that I don't recall.

In any event, voluntarily giving up possession of the football in the hope that your team will grab it instead of the opposing team grabbing it---well, Woody had that one right.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Actually he should have said 6 out of 7/punch

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:34:22 07/02/17 Sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVJyf0ft3I

you be the judge

[> [> [> Subject: That's kind of like saying...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:17:58 07/02/17 Sun

If you swing the bat, six things can happen, and five of them are bad.

Well, yeah. But...

:)

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: That's kind of like saying...

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:21:36 07/03/17 Mon

Hey I still like the passing game and have enjoyed watching great passers like Mark Allen, Ricky Rahne, and Jeff Mathews for Cornell over the years. What drives me crazy is when coaches like Dino Babers at Syracuse says "We will never huddle" but then the same team stops to look over at the sidelines three times on every play. I wish the refs would either call them offsides or delay of game. It's like the coaches are making all the decisions rather than the players. If Tom Brady still huddles to get the play right, maybe huddling once in awhile is not a bad thing.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Speaking of Brady....

Author:
U know me, dammit... (I'm with OJ!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:32 07/05/17 Wed

...better make it 7/8 - you can get caught passing with under-inflated balls and get suspended for 4 games..,

[> Subject: An Impressive Segment

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:07:58 07/05/17 Wed

Can't recall Ivy League football pre-season coverage being that good ever. Nice use of whatever video studio they are using to get it done as well.

I do think some of their praise is a little over the top, stretching it as far as impact players and freshmen. Overall the formula is not that complicated,. As usual, the parity in the league means that the better teams have to be careful of spoiler teams, the mid range teams need to hope they get breakthrough players and efficiency to win some games they are not expected to win. The lower end of the standings need magic in a bottle.

My pick is Penn to win the league but it could very well end up being a Harvard bounce back campaign after some disappointment last year. Princeton has what it takes but can they overcome those few critical letdowns that seem to get in their way when it is on the line. Spoilers are Dartmouth, Yale and Brown who could surprise and steal a big game in conference (as is the usual pattern). 4 wins would be a big season for Columbia. I don't expect much from Cornell though they have some good players as usual.

[> [> Subject: Re: An Impressive Segment

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:57:39 07/05/17 Wed

Agree with Al's Wingman that this is an impressive preview of the upcoming Ivy season. Also agree that right now that the League title is likely to go to one of H, P or P. However, spoilers are out there, and early season games such as Dartmouth-Penn, Dartmouth-Yale, and Yale- Penn will sort things out by mid-October--by then, I would think whether Dartmouth or Yale can be a true challenger will be determined. I doubt that Brown has the firepower to keep up with the five teams mentioned above. As a Yale fan, I must observe that Ivy titles are strongly influenced by QB quality, and Rawlings showed me quite a bit in last November's Harvard upset. Another wild card can be academic/injury red shirts, and Yale has two coming back on defense, both former first team All Ivies, DB Spencer Rymiszewski, and DT Copache Tyler.

Lastly, there has been a lot of discussion on this board about the significance of Rivals and 247 ratings. As perceptive contributors have observed here, such ratings must be discounted, as careful scouting and film evaluation by skilled coaches probably trump what the ratings say. Perhaps a good barometer of the talent vs coaching, nature/nurture controversy may be the performance of the '17 Yale defensive unit which, barring injuries (always an issue with recent Yale teams), could be composed of at least ten players who have either received All Ivy accolades, or carry 3 star rankings from one of the above tout sheets.
Q
Should be an interesting season!

Author:
Ivy Patriot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:42:04 07/06/17 Thu

Football Gameplan does a bunch of conferences. If you are nice to him, he's nice back.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.