VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Ivy Football Preview

Author:
Sr Punter
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:06:46 06/30/17 Fri
In reply to: IvyFBDad 's message, "Ivy Football Preview" on 16:38:02 06/29/17 Thu

Acob, Old Boy, and BBF, Brown's mentions were somewhat limited, but the Frosh QB was shown in the key recruits section and a brief, but not negative, segment appears at 15:10. I believe that the possibility a winning (Ivy) season was even mentioned.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Ivy Football Preview

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:50:27 06/30/17 Fri

Thanks for the post and a nice report on the Ivy League. Granted it's been a long time since Cornell had anything to boast about in terms of Ivy Football. However, the good news on defense nearly our entire unit is coming back along with star LB Miles Norris who was granted a 5th year. Those guys kept us in a lot of games last year.

On offense we're getting back All-Ivy RB Chris Walker and All Ivy QB Dalton Banks. The good news is receiver Colin Shaw was also granted a 5th year of eligibility. My concern on offense is we have a new offensive coordinator, so I hope he doesn't change the offense too much. During the spring game he was running no huddle which we have tried before and it didn't work very well. The games we won last year we ran the ball well and controlled time of possession, but if we do more "Dance and Prance" Clemson style football again it will be a long season.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Football Preview

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:17:14 06/30/17 Fri

Clemson has done okay the last two years. Even Alabama became more "dance and prance" after Kiffin arrived. Part of it is simply recognizing that the 53-yard width of the field had not been fully exploited by previous generations of offense. You can spread the field and still run right over people. Look at Stanford. In fact, it can be easier to run over people because you can better isolate the defenders you want to block with double-teams. What Stanford does is a thing of beauty.

[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Football Preview

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:10:42 07/01/17 Sat

Observer....agreed we actually have several friends who attended Clemson and we enjoy watching the Tigers. Unfortunately at Cornell we don't have their RB's with 4.3 speed, where they run that Run-Pass Option (RPO). Every time Cornell runs the ball out of that formation we get stuffed.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Football Preview

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:06:46 07/01/17 Sat

I have absolutely loved watching Clemson the past two years. And you're right, having running backs with 4.3 speed (you know, like Harvard does) helps, as does having a guy like the Tigers' quarterback -- what's his name again?

These things move in cycles. Cornell will improve someday but, from your perspective, I fear that it will require moving past Archer. Until that happens, hang in there.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:49:20 07/01/17 Sat

I hate the spread all the time as its like watching Canadien Football. No pass action and it's like the same play over and over. Where in the NFL they play lots of formations and it's a much better game.

[> [> [> [> Subject: When you pass only 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:57:46 07/01/17 Sat

Woody Hayes was correct when he said that.

Author:
Acob (Correctiom)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:56:56 07/01/17 Sat

Was it not Darrell Royal who said rhar

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Football Preview

Author:
Diogenes (Acob)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:34:03 07/05/17 Wed

Acob,

I "googled around" on your question and the "internetwisdom" is that Darrell Royal said it, but he attributed it to Woody Hayes and always gave Hayes credit for the phrase. Also, it appears that some claim the famous Tennessee coach, Neyland, said it before Hayes.

Sorry to delay a response to you--I got covfefed on the Fourth.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.