VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: 3*** Cali QB commits to Penn

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:25:34 07/01/17 Sat
In reply to: AsiaSunset 's message, "3*** Cali QB commits to Penn" on 21:19:02 06/28/17 Wed

I don't exactly hate Penn State. Just so you know, I used to be in the Penn (UPenn) administration and, in that job, had constant and substantial exposure to PSU, so my thoughts about it are based on real experience.

My criticism of Penn State is that, IMHO, the extreme PSU-style warping of the relationship between athletics and academics will not be good for this nation over the long haul in our competition with global competitors. Again, IMHO, we're over-emphasizing the wrong stuff.

I've worked in China and other parts of Asia, and I can report that the Chinese look at the ridiculous amounts of treasure that we squander on this nonsense and piss down their legs laughing at our self-destruction, while they pour similar amounts of treasure into STEM and huge economic development.

Maybe I'm wrong of course, but that's my view based on my slice of life experience. I don't intend to disrespect any Penn Staters out there. I just think that their priorities are putting the U.S. on a losing track.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: 3*** Cali QB commits to Penn

Author:
Ivy Voyeur
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:37:19 07/04/17 Tue

I agree with Boston Lion's point. Universities are cultural centers as well as educational centers, and for better or worse university preseidents are cultural leaders. Their budgeting priorities, also for better or worse, teach about appropriate emphases. So when the football or basketball coach is the highest paid employee on campus, it says something about how the learned university president tells us to value football or basketball relative to physics or literature. Their rationalizations of the reasons they don't get their respective houses in order also teach about principles and courage. It's one of the debilitating curruptions dragging at the heart of the American economy. Imagine if the U presidents actually had the guts to take an effective stand!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.