VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: 5.8% Is Correct Admit Rate for Columbia; the Typo is Mine.

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:49:10 07/02/17 Sun
In reply to: holtsledge 's message, "ah" on 16:13:25 07/02/17 Sun

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: General Studies students can play on Columbia teams

Author:
Diogenes (Tod Howard Hawks)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:12:42 07/02/17 Sun

A few years ago Columbia had a very good baseball player who was enrolled in General Studies. Don't know about football or basketball.

If GS students are 30% of the Columbia undergraduate population, admitted at a 33% rate and are eligible to play on varsity teams, isn't it a bit misleading to claim on a sports blog an admissions rate of 5.8%?

GS and its faculty are fully integrated into Columbia according to what I read on the internet. Check out the Wikipedia page on GS.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Harvard Extension School

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:45:04 07/02/17 Sun

Google Harvard Extension School to see how Harvard does the same that Columbia does.

Tod Howard Hawks

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Harvard Extension School

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:14:47 07/02/17 Sun

There are obviously not a lot of Columbia varsity athletes from the School of General Studies, but there are some.

Are there any Harvard varsity athletes from the Extension School? That's not intended to be smart alecky. I'm asking the question, not implying an answer.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Harvard Extension School

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:39:48 07/02/17 Sun

I think you're nit-picking.

Tod Howard Hawks CC 66

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: General Studies students can play on Columbia teams

Author:
IvyVoyeur
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:57:27 07/02/17 Sun

GS has an admissions restriction that reflects its mission to offer opportunities to nontraditional students. The be eligible, you have to have had an interruption in your education of at least a year. The baseball player referred to earlier was a Marine veteran of the War in Iraq who had been out of schol long enough for three tours. GS students have access to undergraduate courses across the university, but you can't fairly say they are part of the undergraduate admissions process in a meaningful way. I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if GS students can attend CU part-time, a privilege not allowed CU undergrads.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: General Studies students can play on Columbia teams

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:41:54 07/02/17 Sun

According to Columbia's web site, General Studies students are eligible for athletic teams but are required to meet with the Compliance Director of the Athletic Department to make sure their course load meets NCAA hour requirements applicable to all student-athletes.

GS students are fully integrated into Columbia academics and take the same courses, with the same professors, as other students. Indeed, they can transfer to engineering or science majors if they meet the standards.

Red Auerbach was a GS student from '37-'39.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.