VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: What was wrong with the 1990s?

Author:
Go Green
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:31:24 07/04/17 Tue
In reply to: Son of Eli 's message, "Old Rivalries Never Die, They Just Simply Fade Away" on 10:17:53 07/04/17 Tue

Just because Harvard and Yale were weak doesn't mean that the rest of the league wasn't having fun.

I mean, the 1980s had The Streak.

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: What was wrong with the 1990s?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:51:28 07/04/17 Tue

Seems to me the Ivy League was in in decline for the entire decade in terms of national interest and player recruitment. That's when the FCS downgrade really began to take its toll. Since 2000 those trends started to reverse, thanks to deregulated financial aid. 90's Ivy League football was closer to Division III in quality than FBS football. Today it is closer to FBS quality than Division III.

The diversity of today's teams vs the teams of the 90's tells they story. The 90's teams were for the most part lily white. It looked like prep school football. Today's squads draw from all over the country, and with greatly increased financial aid, from all economic demographics. This increased talent pool makes for higher quality football.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What was wrong with the 1990s?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:44:15 07/04/17 Tue

The 80's had signiture wins, like Yale beating Air Force and Navy, Harvard beating Army and Penn beating Navy. I can't think of any significant out of conference signature win in the 90's, except maybe Yale beating UConn in 94.

In terms of the 80's loss to division 3, are your referring to basketball or football? The only loss I know is Princeton losing in basketball to a D3 school. I think it was Oberlin.

[> [> [> Subject: Except that

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:35:41 07/04/17 Tue

By the 1990s, the Ivy teams got the hang of the AI. Not so in the 1980s when teams took a dive when they implemented their full AI allotment (Dartmouth, Yale, Columbia and eventually Penn).

As for D-III, the 1980s actually saw the Ivy lose to a D-III team. Even without know which team got that dishonor, most would be able to take a guess who the culprit was. While we certainly had weak teams in the 1990s, we didn't have any national punchlines the way the 1980s did.

I won't dispute that the talent level has risen in the past 10 years or so. All you have to do is look at the number of Ivy players in NFL camps to confirm that.

But, IMHO, if you're talking about the nadir of Ivy football, the 1980s should be tops on your list. Not unrelated, there is zero dispute that the 1980s were the nadir for Ivy basketball.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Except that

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:11:35 07/04/17 Tue

The 80's had signiture wins, like Yale beating Air Force and Navy, Harvard beating Army and Penn beating Navy. I can't think of any significant out of conference signature win in the 90's, except maybe Yale beating UConn in 94.

In terms of the 80's loss to division 3, are your referring to basketball or football? The only loss I know is Princeton losing in basketball to a D3 school. I think it was Oberlin.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Football

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:24:21 07/04/17 Tue

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/02/sports/college-football-columbia-up-by-14-at-halftime-is-beaten-again.html?mcubz=0

The 1980s also featured games against powerhouses such as Morgan State and Merchant Marine. Happily, those were victories.

:)

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Football

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:50:54 07/04/17 Tue

Let's hope Penn beats Ohio Dominican so we don't have a repeat of that embarrassment.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.