VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: What was wrong with the 1990s?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:51:28 07/04/17 Tue
In reply to: Go Green 's message, "What was wrong with the 1990s?" on 11:31:24 07/04/17 Tue

Seems to me the Ivy League was in in decline for the entire decade in terms of national interest and player recruitment. That's when the FCS downgrade really began to take its toll. Since 2000 those trends started to reverse, thanks to deregulated financial aid. 90's Ivy League football was closer to Division III in quality than FBS football. Today it is closer to FBS quality than Division III.

The diversity of today's teams vs the teams of the 90's tells they story. The 90's teams were for the most part lily white. It looked like prep school football. Today's squads draw from all over the country, and with greatly increased financial aid, from all economic demographics. This increased talent pool makes for higher quality football.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What was wrong with the 1990s?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:44:15 07/04/17 Tue

The 80's had signiture wins, like Yale beating Air Force and Navy, Harvard beating Army and Penn beating Navy. I can't think of any significant out of conference signature win in the 90's, except maybe Yale beating UConn in 94.

In terms of the 80's loss to division 3, are your referring to basketball or football? The only loss I know is Princeton losing in basketball to a D3 school. I think it was Oberlin.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.