VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?

Author:
YALE OL
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:54:12 07/04/17 Tue
In reply to: YALE OL 's message, "Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?" on 22:59:33 07/03/17 Mon

Great Stuff guys! Son of Eli and Bill I really like your take on things. I agree, there is nothing being at THE GAME! I love New Haven and Boston is always a beautiful city to visit in the fall. such a fun outing, great food, this past years game was amazing. I like rubbing elbows with interesting people and even seeing some classic ivy style clothing! Really nothing like it and hoping to share and pass on my passion and enthusiasm for this special day

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:12:30 07/06/17 Thu

I have not lived on the east coast in nearly 30 years so I don't know the vibe nowadays but back in the 70s and 80s the game seemed to carry importance beyond the rivalry, It was an event. Even in New York where we ordinarily could care less about new england sporting events, we knew Harvard vs Yale was huge. Especially so since we had nothing comparable in the way of college rivalries except maybe Lou Carnaseca's St John's basketball vs Georgetown.

Is that vibe still there? People and especially young people these days who might ordinarily want to go to a sporting event seem to have many other distractions and would be just as content finding a live stream to casually pay attention on their terms.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:00:57 07/06/17 Thu

Harvard having beaten Yale for nine years in a row - and for most of this century - certainly resulted in, shall we say, a "decline in enthusiasm" among Yalies. But a few of them (even on this site) seem to have perked up after the 21-14 win in 2016, with some Elis so jolly that you never guess their team finished 3-7. So it looks like the Harvard-Yale game still counts in many quarters.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:44:31 07/06/17 Thu

To answer the question, I would hedge and say, "barring class action lawyers wrecking the sport at all levels, yes, I think the H-Y game will continue."

That The Game has continued to attract a following--a sellout in Boston and about 50,000 fans in New Haven--despite Yale's sorry performance over the past 15 years tells me that it's future is secure. I buy at least a dozen tickets for me and my 60-something friends (none of whom were involved in sports at Yale).

Let's face it, the event has more to do with tens of thousands of HY grads affirming their place at the top of the East Coast pecking order than anything that goes on in the Bowl or Stadium (I know that sounds snobby, but it's true).

I am confident that, were Yale to return to its old perch near the top of the League, and an Ivy title were at stake on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, there would be more than 60k in the Bowl.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:54:14 07/06/17 Thu

Last time Yale- Harvard drew over 60k was 1989. Since they couldn't draw that in 2007 I doubt they ever will again.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:11:54 07/06/17 Thu

I checked and actually the attendance in 1989 was 59,263. So the last time The Game drew over 60,000 was 1983, when the attendance was 70,600.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.