VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Response to an archived U Chicago 2021 Football Recruiting Class Message

Author:
Diogenes
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:24:48 07/04/17 Tue
In reply to: Parent 's message, "Response to an archived U Chicago 2021 Football Recruiting Class Message" on 15:51:20 07/04/17 Tue

Well said. Thank you. A happy Fourth to you and your family.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Response to an archived U Chicago 2021 Football Recruiting Class Message

Author:
HDallmar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:37:05 07/04/17 Tue

Thanks for your interesting and helpful post.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Response to an archived U Chicago 2021 Football Recruiting Class Message

Author:
Big Green watcher
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:49:32 07/04/17 Tue

From everything I've ever heard, U Chicago is very, very hard. Nothing but respect for a student taking on academics and sports there. And what a great city! Thanks for your post. Monsters of the Midway...

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Response to an archived U Chicago 2021 Football Recruiting Class Message

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:08:11 07/05/17 Wed

Appreciate Parent's thoughtful posts and observations about the many virtues of U. of Chicago. I think it was Robert Maynard Hutchins, the "boy wonder" Dean of Yale Law School, who helped Chicago cement its reputation as a world class university in the 1930's. Unfortunately, Mr. Hutchins also pulled the plug on the glorious football tradition started by the immortal Amos Alonzo Stagg of Yale, Walter Camp's most talented protégé and the man who coached the Maroons to the point that they were known, before the Bears, as the "Monsters of the Midway." Yale tried to lure Hutchins back as its president in the late 30's, and he was said to remark, "why would I leave one of the world's great universities to head a glorified prep school on Long Island Sound." If this tale is true, it may have spared Yale FB a fate similar to that of Chicago's gridders, banned totally for decades.

Parent is dead on accurate with her comparisons of Chicago support of free speech with the sorry recent events on Ivy campuses. I would differ with Parent on one matter--the statement that there is such a thing as "a football recruit with an offer from Chicago and Yale." Reports in my possession from New Haven would indicate that no such person exists.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.