VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Response to an archived U Chicago 2021 Football Recruiting Class Message(cross admit comparison)

Author:
florida lion
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:58:34 07/05/17 Wed
In reply to: Parent 's message, "Response to an archived U Chicago 2021 Football Recruiting Class Message" on 15:51:20 07/04/17 Tue

I'm sort of reluctant to bring this up because it doesn't really change the gist of your comments about Chicago, a school which I've always admired. Nonetheless, you quote a lot of statistics to buttress your points.

I wasn't trying to prove or disprove anything, but out of curiosity, I looked at your reference for cross admit percentages. This source showed vs. Chicago: Brown-51%, Columbia-58%, Cornell-40%, Dartmouth-44%, Harvard-71%, Penn-56%, Princeton-59%, Yale-76%. You didn't mention Penn (which has a substantial margin over Chicago), said that Chicago is a small loser to Columbia (I wouldn't call Columbia's 16% pt advantage small) and that Harvard is the biggest blow out (Yale is the biggest). So, unless I'm misinterpreting, it appears that the stats in your reference don't quite line up with your assertions.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Response to an archived U Chicago 2021 Football Recruiting Class Message

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:48:11 07/06/17 Thu

While I agree with others that University of Chicago (U of C) is an outstanding university from an academic perspective, it is somewhat silly to compare U of C to Yale for recruited football players. This is not an "apples to apples decision", any more than the Ivy League is not competitive when trying to compete with Stanford for a four and five star football recruits.

It is extremely rare that any of the top 20 recruits for any of the Ivy football programs need to worry about competing with a D3 school. Occasionally, we may lose out on a marginally recruited Ivy player or even a preferred walk-on recruit to a D3 football program. The gap in the quality of play between the Ivy League and the U of C's Midwest Conference is as dramatic as the gap between the Ivy League and the Pac 12. The U of C plays in the Midwest Conference with Beloit College, Cornell College, Grinnell, Illinois College, Knox, Lake Forest, Lawrence, Monmouth, Ripon and St. Norbert. Simply put, this Midwest Conference does not have any of the rich traditions of the Ivy League.

Equally important, the league has a much better pipeline for former Ivy football players to elite jobs in the Wall Street, Private Equity, consulting and high tech. To illustrate this point, let's look at how U of C does placing its students in top 10 MBA programs compared to the Ivy League. College Confidential analyzed what were the top feeder colleges to America's top MBA programs. U of C only generated 12 MBA students compared to 192 for Harvard, 183 for U Penn, 113 for Yale, 101 for Princeton, 89 for Columbia, 80 for Dartmouth, 59 for Cornell, and 47 for Brown. The gap is similar when analyzing statistics for feeder colleges for Wall Street, Private Equity, consulting and high tech. Since the majority of football recruits have an strong interest in pursuing a career in business, this gap is very meaningful to them.

Finally, the third major gap area for U of C is not having an engineering program on campus. The lack of engineering classes hurts recruiting for the ever growing percentage of student athletes who have an interest in pursuing a career in high tech or entrepreneurship.

In summary, U of C is highly competitive for bright students overall, but it is not a close comparison between Yale and U of C when recruiting for an elite football player. It is a better comparison for the flute player or classics major.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.