VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 00:42:16 07/07/17 Fri
In reply to: Bulldogs1234 's message, "Re: Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?" on 00:25:25 07/07/17 Fri

If the Ivy League wants to grow local fan support good places to start would be participating in the FCS playoffs, scheduling the occasional FBS opponent and going to an 11 game schedule. An insular league is not appealing to unaffiliated local sports fans.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:54:19 07/07/17 Fri

True, but it won't happen. Unfortunately.

I would settle for better coverage, better marketing, better social media, better You tube. HYPE

Have events such as a mini concert, contests, giveaways. Cast a larger net of experiences. Not everyone is a sports fan. Do more rivalry contests pitting Yale vs. Harvard. I don't know, have drone races. Create an event where more people want to experience. Make it a "must not miss" experience.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:38:41 07/07/17 Fri

Think that posters make some good points, but here are some others to ponder: As per my point that HY is a big reunion of tens of thousands of people who have much invested in their schools' brands, and The Game becomes a platform from which to engage in a form of boasting, the comment about small alumni fan bases is somewhat msleading. H and Y are large universities with six-figure alumni bodies, Yale probably has 50,000 alums living in Boston-D.C. corridor, Harvard twice that, there are plenty of bodies to fill the Bowl, even without much town support. I know of many folks with Yale grad degrees who come to see the Harvard game when it's in NH. Attendance at the one championship showdown game in the Bowl of the past twenty (thirty?) years, the 2007 blowout by Harvard, was attended by 57,248 according to NY Times report. That game had party buses coming up from Manhattan sponsored by the big banks. I am sure that had the revelers not figured out in the first five or ten minutes that the contest was going to be a blowout, the walk in sales would have pushed attendance over 60k. There were, it was estimated, close to 80,000 in the parking lots and the Bowl that day. I know for a fact that the New Haven fire department was concerned that standing room sales on the track around the top of the Bowl would push attendance to 70k, an amount the Bowl is no longer designed to hold.

In sum, if Yale can get back to Cozza-era levels of achievement in the League, I am confident that we shall see a sellout of the Yale Bowl, and The Game will continue as one of the premier sporting events in New England.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:48:58 07/07/17 Fri

That's a good point. The 2007 game was over by the end of the first half. That goes down in my book as the worse loss in Yale football history. A total embarrassment for a 9-0 team to suffer at home. It was so one sided it looked like Harvard had stolen Yale's playbook.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.