VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Columbia: The Athletic "Sleeping Giant" That Is Starting to Wake Up

Author:
al's wingman
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:25:15 07/07/17 Fri
In reply to: Tod Howard Hawks 's message, "Columbia: The Athletic "Sleeping Giant" That Is Starting to Wake Up" on 20:21:08 06/30/17 Fri

The new AD and new approach is working well but bottom line is sports in NYC is tough to do. You can throw money at the problem but the geography is hard.

I always thought they shortchanged themselves by not getting a lacrosse program going in the 70s. NYC is surrounded by fertile recruiting areas and as we are seeing now, the sport has broad appeal nationally. It's not too late if they can find facilities for a men's and women's program.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Columbia: The Athletic "Sleeping Giant" That Is Starting to Wake Up

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:08:07 07/07/17 Fri

Women's lax already plays at Wien, correct?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia: The Athletic "Sleeping Giant" That Is Starting to Wake Up

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:17:42 07/07/17 Fri

Columbia fans don't get too excited as you finished 3-7 in football last year with only two Ivy wins. No doubt Bagnoli is a very good coach, but until you break the .500 mark, then you can talk a little about a "Sleeping Giant". Not like I can brag about Cornell football either as we were 4-6 last season with two Ivy wins as well, but definitely an improvement over the prior year. However, until we start going at least 5-5 or 6-4, we don't really deserve to discuss our title hopes anytime soon. It's a new year and I am always optimistic Coach Archer and his team can win some more games this season.

[> [> [> Subject: LAX

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:21:14 07/07/17 Fri

Well if they have women's LAX then they are just being lazy not participating in men's LAX.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: LAX

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:58:22 07/08/17 Sat

Columbia has had women's lacrosse for about 10 years. Not very successful so far but gradually improving.

I thought the reason for not having a men's team was based on male/female athlete and sports ratios and economics (title IX). Too bad for a school that was one of the original college lacrosse teams in the 1880s.

[> [> Subject: Re: Columbia: The Athletic "Sleeping Giant" That Is Starting to Wake Up

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:11:49 07/07/17 Fri

I didn't say Columbia Football was "awake."

I said it was "starting to wake up," which, in itself, is a huge accomplishment.

It will take a few more years to "awaken" and win a championship, especially after a decades-long coma.

Tod Howard Hawks CC 66

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia: The Athletic "Sleeping Giant" That Is Starting to Wake Up

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:39:03 07/07/17 Fri

Washington Irving spun quite a tale about Rip Van Winkle sleeping for 40 years in New York. Lions' NY football slumber is in its 56th year and counting. Some might equate such inactivity to death.

As a Yale fan, I must admit that such signs of Columbia's demise have recently been contradicted by victories over Yale in '12 and '15.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia: The Athletic "Sleeping Giant" That Is Starting to Wake Up

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:27:23 07/07/17 Fri

You're right.

Tod Howard Hawks CC 66

[> [> Subject: Re: Columbia: The Athletic "Sleeping Giant" That Is Starting to Wake Up(joiseyfan's Q?)

Author:
florida lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:06:41 07/07/17 Fri

CU does have a women's lax team. I don't when it started. But they were 7-8 overall, and 2-5 Ivy last year. They play up at the old Baker Field complex.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia: The Athletic "Sleeping Giant" That Is Starting to Wake Up(joiseyfan's Q?)

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:28:35 07/10/17 Mon

Columbia men had an LAX team in '71? Can't imagine women's sports would be so well represented prior to Title IX.

Author:
Roar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:00:51 07/08/17 Sat

People forget that we had a strong winning season in '71, went 6-3 and just missed Ivy title. So it's only been 46 years, no big deal.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.