VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: ILDN impact on fan base outside the Eastern region

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:32:57 07/07/17 Fri
In reply to: YALE OL 's message, "Could the Y/H rivalry ever die out?" on 22:59:33 07/03/17 Mon

I agree with John Harvard's assessment that ILDN may be having a negative impact on attendance, especially in unfavorable weather conditions. Yet, I also think that ILDN may generate a profound long-term benefit for our sports fans' interest and passion for the alumni who happen to live outside the core eastern corridor. I define this "Eastern Corridor" area as New England, NY, PA, DE, MD and DC, which represents about 50% of Ivy alumni living in the US. Using the example of Yale alumni, I determined that approximately 50% of Yale alumni living in the US reside outside this eastern corridor. For these alumni living outside the eastern corridor who are sports fans, ILDN can make a very significant difference. You can watch almost all the football, basketball games and good percentage of hockey games and other sports for that matter. You get to know the team players firsthand from watching numerous of the team's games. Previously, you only were able to casually follow your team's scores in the papers with virtually no team coverage other than from alumni news sources or college athletic websites.

For those of us living remotely, you are lucky to attend one Ivy game a year (or two in the case of basketball). When you do fly back to attend an Ivy game, your enjoyment is much greater since you feel you actually know the teams well. For my alumni friends who are parents of Ivy student athletes, ILDN is even more of a game changer for them. This even allows for small groups of alumni to occasionally get together to watch the major games as if you were still back east.

While ILDN may not help with attendance, it can make a significant difference in our fan base's knowledge of the teams, along with helping increase our national presence in sports.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Harvard vs. Yale Rivalry

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:02:11 07/07/17 Fri

The Game is a great tradition and I hope the two schools can keep it going strong. I am sure a school like Cornell would love the revenue boast this game could provide to our athletic department. For many years Cornell vs. Penn was a huge source of revenue for both schools, but then it died out in the 60's and 70's era. The rivalry re-ignited in the 80's and 90's but then again sputtered out. For the life of me I can't understand why Ivy League AD's don't do more to boast attendance and revenue for football and basketball??? It's just common sense, but then again I am just a local alum and sports fan. Oh well.....

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.