VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Pennsylvania QB picks Harvard over Yale, Princeton, Penn & Cornella

Author:
Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:34:08 07/10/17 Mon

“I’ve always wanted to go to an Ivy League school,” Emge said. “I committed to Harvard on the spot because there was no other school that could offer me that whole package. It’s pretty much my dream school.”

Emge also visited Cornell, Penn and Princeton, and he heard from Bucknell and Yale. But at the end of the day, after participating in a prospect camp and receiving an offer from Harvard last month, he simply couldn’t say no to coach Tim Murphy and the Crimson, who run a similar spread offense attack as the one Emge pilots at Manheim Township.

“I’ve talked to Harvard a lot, and I knew that’s the place I wanted to be,” said Emge, who hopes to become an orthopedic surgeon after his college days. “I knew that if Harvard offered, that was going to be it.”

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Pennsylvania QB picks Harvard over Yale, Princeton, Penn & Cornella

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:39:45 07/10/17 Mon

Harvard recruiting is so typical....they gave him the "full package" meaning another Crimson full athletic scholarship. Emgre said "no other school could offer me that whole package". No kidding......because the rest of the Ivy League actually follows the rules. Tim Murphy saying he doesn't give athletic scholarships is like saying Lance Armstrong didn't do performance enhancing drugs.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Your bitterness betrays you, Sprint

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:13:31 07/11/17 Tue

The "whole package" he's talking about here is not money, but academics, history, setting, facilities etc .... in other words, all that Harvard has to offer that makes it the "dream school" for so many, whether or not they are athletes.

[> [> Subject: Re: Your bitterness betrays you, Sprint

Author:
Warrior II
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:59:26 07/11/17 Tue

Did he receive other offers? Maybe so. It is not clear from the posting.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Your bitterness betrays you, Sprint

Author:
Old Lion (Cornell tution)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:02:52 07/11/17 Tue

Doesn't Cornell actually have the biggest financial advantage, since all of the schools other than arts % sciences (and perhaps engineering) are state schools with lower tuition (and separate tuition breaks for NYS residents)?

[> Subject: Re: Pennsylvania QB picks Harvard over Yale, Princeton, Penn & Cornella

Author:
BIg29Red
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:34:08 07/11/17 Tue

No- not anymore- if you live out of state and attend one of the NY state contacted Colleges, you pay the normal tuition which is paid by those attending Arts, Engineering, Hotel and the Architecture school!

Only NY state residents get the Lower tuition!

[> [> Subject: All 8 Ivies are among the top 16 in "best value" due to high "need-based" aid

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:01:11 07/11/17 Tue

Harvard is #1, and Cornell is #16

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/best-value

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:01:11 07/11/17 Tue

Bitterness......no but I think the league should audit Harvard's football program to see how many "full rides" they actually give and compare that to all the other league members. I think since 2001 the Crimson's record is no worse than 7-3 which is better than all FCS schools who offer full athletic scholarships.

[> [> Subject: That actually says more about

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:16:38 07/11/17 Tue

Harvard's record since 2001 says more about their weak-ass OOC scheduling, IMHO.

But I will admit financial aid is part of the story.

[> [> Subject: Hard as it may be for you to accept ...

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:16:08 07/11/17 Tue

The "story" primarily is Harvard's strong, national recruiting under Murphy, with the attractions of Cambridge as a place to go to school as a draw. We see it over and over again. Need-based financial aid comes in third on the list, since all recruiting schools can match within the Ivies.

The potential aid package makes more of a difference in basketball, where the demographics of the talent pool skew lower, economically. But this is just as true for all the Ivies, which have seen their talent level rise with the tremendous increase in need-based aid in recent years.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Hard as it may be for you to accept ...

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:03:07 07/12/17 Wed

I agree that Murphy is a very good coach and recruiter. He would be successful any where. Unfortunately the Ivy League system of recruiting based on need no longer works. Every other conference including the Patriot League have comprehensive guidelines for recruiting. The current system clearly benefits Harvard.

[> [> [> Subject: "The current system clearly benefits Harvard," he says

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:54:40 07/12/17 Wed

Exactly how is that so? How would you legally change it? Why is Harvard benefitted to a greater degree than Princeton or Yale, say, in your eyes?

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:07:20 07/12/17 Wed

I have heard students, both past and current, say that they didn't "pay". Yet, their parents were very wealthy. How does that happen?

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.