VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Such as which?

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:51:16 07/12/17 Wed
In reply to: Observer 's message, "Such as which?" on 16:39:58 07/12/17 Wed

The minimum AI hasn't been 171 for years. I believe it is now 183 but Mike James could clarify.

The only individual sport regulated by the league is football which remains banded as has been explained in detail in other threads on this board.

All other sports are lumped together and must be managed by each school as they see fit, so long as the total pool of "non football" recruited athletes averages out at one standard deviation below the mean. So if a school wants to average 195 in basketball because the average AI for their fencing team is 235, that's up to them.

I have no idea how Harvard or any other Ivy manages their pool across their non football sports. I do believe at Penn that not all teams are assigned the same AI number to manage to.

AI boosters are still utilized to build certain team averages. Additionally the league used to allow cases of below minimum AI admission if schools submitted a request and substantiated their rationale. I believe this practice also was stopped years ago.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Such as which?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:06:39 07/12/17 Wed

Thanks for the AI explanation Asia. Could you also explain the matching financial aid rules?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Such as which?

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:14:12 07/12/17 Wed

Supposedly you can only match a written fin aid offer from the fin aid office of another Ivy, but I suspect if a school is competing with Harvard for a sought after recruit, schools may be making Harvard like offers without having that written piece of paper in front of them. I say this not with knowledge but merely because I see the commitment cycle advancing each year and I doubt schools are waiting to see something in writing to lock down a recruit.

But - I really don't have the facts here. It's just what I suspect is happening out there.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Such as which?

Author:
New Dad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:34:48 07/12/17 Wed

Each school is different, and assumedly this varies by recruit as well, but most schools in the Ivy will provide a financial aid offer using a more generous school's formula if the recruit can show some level of "genuine recruiting interest" (personal emails or letters, OV invites, etc) from the more generous school.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Such as which?

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:02:17 07/13/17 Thu

Thank you

I sensed this was the case

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Such as which?

Author:
mrjames
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:02:03 07/14/17 Fri

AI floor is 183 now. Has transitioned through the following levels in the 15 years I've been following the league:

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: The effect of "recentering" test scores

Author:
Diogenes (mrjames)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:08:58 07/29/17 Sat

Would seem to be forcing up the AI, but not as much as forcing up the test scores themselves? Don't know if that is true, but if the increase in AI is lagging the increase in test scores due to "recentering", doesn't that mean it is easier to meet the AI minimums?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The effect of "recentering" test scores

Author:
mrjames
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:33:13 07/29/17 Sat

Indeed. I do believe that the arbitrage between the ACT and SAT (the ACT was bumping AI scores up relative to the SAT scores of the same prospect) led to the most recent bump of the floor. That hasn't been reported to my knowledge, however.

It was widely reported that the last big bump (171 to 176) was due to the gaming of the arbitrage between class rank and GPA.

For the football folks on the board - I have zero clue what this means for banding. Would be interesting if some of the football folks could dig in on that.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.