VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Columbia and Chicago Threads: Unraveling of HYP Hegemony

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:45:00 07/14/17 Fri
In reply to: Anthony 's message, "Columbia and Chicago Threads: Unraveling of HYP Hegemony" on 14:55:01 07/12/17 Wed

If you are looking at discriminatory practices within the Ivy League during the 60's and 70's, you also can look at within the colleges' elite social clubs admissions practices. For example, if you analyze who was formally admitted into each of Harvard's Final Clubs, Yale's Society Clubs and Princeton's Eating Clubs during the 60's and 70's and compare it to the general student body, you clearly will find discriminatory practices being implemented during this period.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: A personal admission

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:56:53 07/14/17 Fri

I confess to personally discriminating as to whom I dated. Nowadays I might be sued for being interested only in certain types of women. Or perhaps even for being interested only in women.

But at least religion wasn't a criterion.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: A personal admission

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:03:14 07/14/17 Fri

At Penn in my day, fraternities were strictly segregated. The total university population was nearly 50% Jewish, but there were half as many Jewish fraternities as Christian or more accurately non Jewish ones. Both the Jewish and non Jewish broke down into subsets of preppy, jock, Harry high school, dweeby and so. In fact, I recall that there were fraternities that were Jewish nationally. ZBT was one. Though there were fewer sororities, I think the same applied to them.

I have no idea if this still goes on but I would think it must have broken down to some degree. At least I hope it has.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Dartmouth Frats

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:25:04 07/15/17 Sat

For me it came down to a choice between I Felta Thigh and Tappa Nu Keg. I choose the latter

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Columbia College Addendum

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:18:21 07/15/17 Sat

In 1960 David A. Dudley came to Columbia College from MIT to be the new Dean of Admissions. (This was two years before I matriculated.)

What Dean Dudley did in 1960, which came to be called "Dudley's Follies," (an term with which I do not necessarily concur) is still part of the College's folklore.

Dean Dudley accepted only those applicants who had the highest SAT scores, which resulted in Columbia College's Class of 1964 averringly to have had the highest cumulative SAT score average in the annals of higher education, to that time at least. According to my investigation on the Internet, that class was nearly 80% Jewish.

Many especially influential (read "rich") College alumni took exception (read "were angry as hell") with Dean Dudley; consequently, the Dean was fired, and as I understand it, went to Mississippi to teach in an all-black college.

I, in turn, had to compete academically at times, for two years, with members of the Class of 1964, which, of course, made me a better student, and more importantly, a better human being, as there had been a paucity of Jews both at Andover and my home state, Kansas.

Tod Howard Hawks CC 66

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia College Addendum

Author:
Parent
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:41:33 07/16/17 Sun

Tod, that is a fascinating and authentic post--thank you for sharing it.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia College Addendum

Author:
Ivy Voyeur
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:48:40 07/16/17 Sun

Interesting article. So there has been affirmative actio for WASPs since the 19-teens?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia College Addendum

Author:
Leonlion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:51:33 07/16/17 Sun

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/367910/dudleys-folly-fred-schwarz

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Benjamin Ginsberg's Book on Anti-Semitism in America

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:10:54 07/16/17 Sun

Thank you, Leolion, for referencing Ginsberg's book in your post. I read with great interest and alarm all the pages of the book that you included in your post.

The coming of Trump, I regret to say, is a recrudescence in America of the same shameful attitudes and polices Ginsberg recounts in his book: racism, bigotry, nativism, among many other repugnant traits.

One salient example: David Duke, former Grand Wizard of the KKK, endorsed Trump for president, and Trump never disavowed that endorsement. Indeed, Trump, in my opinion, personifies the morally worst characteristics of the human race.

Tod Howard Hawks CC 66

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: The Delusional World of Tod Howard Hawks

Author:
The Lion (Tod Hawks, Holtsledge)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:25:19 07/20/17 Thu

To Holtsledge: Thanks for standing up for your human freedom and rights--and mine--under the U.S. Constitution which is under relentles attack by
a treasonous conspiracy of the "Democratic Party" (sic) and its clueless sheep,
a new strain of very violent sheep. And even more dangerous than the rioting Democrat street mobs in every city and university and is what used to be American journalism, now in lock goose-step with these tyrants.

To Tod Howard Hawks: What's your response to your endorsement for President by David Duke, huh, huh, huh? Come on, what is it, Tod? Do you disavow it, do you, do you, do you?

Trump, with this smelly trap thrown at him as he moved between appointments last year during the Democrat putsch, reacted as I and any honest person would have. "Duke? I haven't heard that name in years. What endorsement?
I haven't heard of any endorsement." (I, a professional observer of public events, added to my own response, "I thought that idiot died 20 years ago.")

Your statement, Tod, that "Trump never disavowed that endorsement" is a
total lie. He disavowed it the same day, several times, as soon as he--like any
rational adult--ascertained that there was some sort of "news" report--or Democrat propaganda- that the long-invisible Duke allegedly had spoken some obscure type of verbal support of Trump, somewhere, some place, some time,
while strangely failing to tell, write or send smoke signals to inform Trump or his campaign staff.

Trump then spent the next two weeks disavowing this mythical endorsement
from a clown not one-trillionth as dangerous as the one who had been destroying this democracy's foundations for the previous eight years.
The next knee-slapper was Trump's "collusion"--Mark Van Doren is rotating in his grave--with the same Russians our Democrat Party has partnered with since 1917.

Finally Tod, your story about Dean Dudley and combatting bias against Jewish applicants to Columbia College is all well and good except that--assuming you're accurate--it's a sequel not the seminal event. I matriculated more than a decade before you did, at the very start of the 50s, and my Class had a large complement of Jewish kids, a good number of whom were my own classmates from one of New York City's elite public high schools.

The NY public schools were excellent back then, and I maintain more rigorous
than Columbia which also was excellent but was "college" not mandatory. If you wanted to slide through a class, it was your loss. That wasn't permitted in the public schools. How soon that changed, in your decade of the 60s, when
"progressive"--ludicrous--ideology was forced upon education.

Also, to your original point which you degraded with your absolute nonsense about Trump, my freshman group at Columbia was not the first to have a large Jewish contingent. The three classes already there when I arrived also were well represented. They had matriculated in the late 40s, so the change occurred long before Dean Dudley in 1960 and your blessed arrival in 1962.

I don't know how early the bias reversal began. Perhaps the many upheavals
of World War 2 played a hand.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The Delusional World of Tod Howard Hawks

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:53:20 07/20/17 Thu

Thanks for spelling my name correctly.

Tod Howard Hawks

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The Delusional World of Tod Howard Hawks

Author:
The Lion (Wake Up!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:51:04 07/21/17 Fri

You're welcome. I'm a meticulous speller, of names and everything else.
However, I have no interest in your self-adoration.
I do have an interest in your proclamations of fake news, however, because they endanger this country's ability to protect my freedom of speech, thought and conscience.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: oh please Todd

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:18:19 07/16/17 Sun

worst characteristics of the Human Race
Eh I don't think so. Just might be the gang mentality of Former Pres Obama's home town of Chicago who's mayor just so happens to be his former chief of staff's Rahm Emmanuel. Have you been paying attention or not. Do you know how many murders were committed last yr in Chicago. Real Black on Black Crime something like 700 and they are on a pace to surpass that this yr and are you trying to tell me it's Trump's fault. Give me a break. Wake up man, over 75% of birth's in the black community are out of wedlock. Do you ever wonder why when you see a headline that says 12 yr old kid hit or killed in a drive by shooting at 2 AM why the kid is on the street. I guess Bernie and Kamala Harris will be able solve the problem in 2020

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: oh please Todd

Author:
Colorless raider
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:05:51 07/16/17 Sun

So by giving Chicago gangs review are you in fact a fan of Trump?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I am a fan of

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:10:10 07/17/17 Mon

Buy American, Hire American, America first, energy independence, exporting of LNG to Europe to lessen Russia's stranglehold on many countries energy supplies, building the Keystone pipeline, building the wall and a rational immigration policy, more pipelines bringing cheap efficient nat gas to NE to lessen dependence on heating oil among other things

I am not a fan of sanctuary cities getting my fed tax dollars, Teachers unions SEIU and ASFCME and other public employee unions colluding with the Dems, The Deep State, the EPA where unelected officials are making policy, activist judges legislating from the bench, Tesla and millionaires in New Canaan getting tax benefits to buy 100k cars, The Clinton News Network, The Clintons who are liars and crooks, MSDNC, Chris Matthews, Colleges not protecting free speech just to name a few

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: great news

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:08:08 07/18/17 Tue

it's like a dream come true for me
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/18/union-boss-hundreds-epa-employees-jobs-at-risk.html

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Hope you're also a fan of...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:07:21 07/18/17 Tue

College education.

:)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: not for everyone

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:06 07/18/17 Tue

I am in favor of trade schools apprenticeships etc. Not everyone belongs in college although Bernie and Liz want to sell you that. There is a shortage of skilled welders in this country. I was in the mining business for 35 yrs and even more important than skilled operators and mechanics a welder in the most important skill needed on a surface mine where big iron meets big rock. In the oilfield welders can make 200k /yr

We also need mechanics electricians carpenters etc in this country. A trade is a skill that travels

To add to my list of not a fan of is George Soros, Paul Krugman, Al Sharpton, Black lies Matter, occupy wall street, Joy Reid . Wolfman Blitzer, David Gregory and all of his ilk. Also my lying Sen Richard "I served in Vietnam NOT" Blumenthal and His colleague Chris Murphy who is against selling 100 billion in arms to the Saudis even though Pratt & Whitney and Sikorsky are major employers in CT

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: wanna know why

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:30:20 07/19/17 Wed

I dislike Lying CT Sen Blumenthal intensely
http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/07/19/democrat-blumenthal-wants-500-million-wounded-ukrainian-soldiers

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: oh please Todd

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:23:57 07/16/17 Sun

I spell my first name with one "d."

Tod Howard Hawks CC 66

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Ivy League rankings from WSJ - per Tod Howard Hawks twitter:

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:32:44 07/17/17 Mon

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ivy-league-schools-ranked-1478109058#livefyre-toggle-SB11485187061602724143504582412420690311222

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: And the national rank...

Author:
ungvar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:17:56 07/17/17 Mon

http://www.wsj.com/graphics/college-rankings-2016/

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.