VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Yale football recruits

Author:
remember it well
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:04:03 07/17/17 Mon
In reply to: walt yale blue 's message, "Yale football recruits" on 11:50:04 07/13/17 Thu

My opinions of Reno and Beckett took a nosedive after the YDN expose on the injury problems that have been so detrimental to the program. One can only wonder how long it would have taken for remedial actions were it not for the fine reporting by the journalists.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Yale football recruits

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:41:18 07/17/17 Mon

Patience is a virtue. Just think what a mistake it would have been to loose patience with James Jones during his 13 year drought in winning an Ivy League Championship, or with John Stuper with his 23 year league championship drought. Now both those coaches are receiving numerous awards and accolades. Did they just become good coaches? No. They always were.

In retrospect it's clear firing Sidliecki's was a mistake. Beckett is not going to make that mistake again. Yale needs to and will give Reno more time.

I may be wearing rose colored glasses, but I think the patience with Reno will be rewarded in the near future with an Ivy Championship. Once the program gets rolling we could even see a new Yale dynasty emerge in football. There are reasons to be very optimistic about the direction Yale Football is heading. Stay the course.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Yale football recruits

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:37:11 07/17/17 Mon

I agree with Son of Eli that firing Siedlecki was a mistake. He was a good coach who stepped into a difficult situation, stabilized it and then took it to regular residence in the upper division.

Jack's detractors always point to some excruciating losses to Harvard and Princeton as justification to terminating him. Sure, those losses were painful, but to paraphrase the old saying "their players are on scholarship, too," the Crimson guys are all on full financial aid. Just kidding. But the truth is, the other team's players are trying hard, too. Sometimes you're going to lose.

I'd take Jack back in a heart beat.

[> [> Subject: Firing Jack

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:09:26 07/17/17 Mon

NOT a mistake. Yale-Harvard 2005 and 2007 plus Princeton 2006. Three straight years, three straight disasters.

Plus earlier in the 2000's Yale had some of the worse defensive teams ever seen in New Haven. Remember a 55-44 loss to Brown?

Jack was a good guy and a mediocre coach.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Firing Jack

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:16:55 07/17/17 Mon

Although all those losses were painfull the only one I would categorize as a disaster is the 2007 loss to Harvard. Even that wasn't as bad as the embarrassing 4th and 22 fake punt loss in 2009 under Williams.

Siedlecki's 70-49 record at Yale speaks for itself, as does his two Ivy League Championships. Yale hasn't won an Ivy Championship since he was let go following the 2008 season, and has only beaten Harvard once since then. Siedlecki beat Harvard four times.

I

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Firing Jack

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:25:33 07/17/17 Mon

Furthermore, Yale's record is just 40-40 since Siedlecki was fired.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Firing Jack

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:37:41 07/18/17 Tue

Two "shared" Ivy championships. Mediocrity looks good after the last few years. That doesn't mean you settle for it.

Can't recall too many wins under Jack when I said to myself that he out coached the other guy.

There were far more games Yale lost that they should have won than there were games Yale won that they should have lost while Jack was coach.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Firing Jack

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:38:43 07/18/17 Tue

The quotes around "shared" are quite appropriate, both "titles" would have gone to rival team with application of elementary tie breaker of head to head result, Brown in '99 and Princeton in '06.

If you speak with Jack's players, they will tell you his offense was simple minded, esp in McLeod era, about four plays, counter trey and a few variations. Jack's overuse of McLeod in '07 was criminal, what did 40 plus carries against a weak Lehigh team prove? Yale tank was empty by time of Harvard game, and one of the most humiliating defeats in Yale history ensued.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Firing Jack

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:29:08 07/18/17 Tue

No one was calling Yale's offense simplistic in 2003 when they put up more than 40 points in five different games.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Firing Jack

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:36:51 07/18/17 Tue

and lost two of those five

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Firing Jack

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:54:55 07/18/17 Tue

LOL. Defense was atrocious that year. And I do agree that Jack got way too conservative in his play calling once he had McCleod. This is because he didn't have the talent on the field Reno has today. That's why he felt he had to over utilize McCleod.

They way I see it Siedlecki was a great coach, but not a great recruiter. I also don't think he had the same level of support from the admissions department Reno enjoys today. Yale was slow to get into the Financial Aid arms race. Harvard got the jump on them with that.

Yet his record shows he got more out of his players than all other Yale coaches in the IAA era.

Consider this, which Yale coach has the best winning % in the IAA era?

A. Cozza
B. Siedlecki
C. Willimas
D. Reno

Ans. Siedlecki.

Cozza is a Hall of Fame coach, so that accomplishment must mean something.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.