VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Columbia and Chicago Threads: Unraveling of HYP Hegemony

Author:
Old Lion (then and now)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:03:05 07/19/17 Wed
In reply to: Uptown 's message, "Re: Columbia and Chicago Threads: Unraveling of HYP Hegemony" on 20:57:37 07/17/17 Mon

Read Harvard Prof. Stephen Greenblatt's article in last week's New Yorker. Great stuff about Yale during his freshman year in 1961 and college today.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Joseph Albeck and Stephen Greenblatt

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:09:33 07/19/17 Wed

Prof. Greenblatt reminds me of my friend Joe Albeck, a brilliant and kind young man, who was a classmate of mine at Columbia College, Class of 1966.

Joe graduated at the top of our class and attended Harvard Medical School. He served for many years as Professor of Psychiatry at his medical school alma mater.

Joe changed my life. Sometime during our junior year at Columbia, we had lunch together in John Jay cafeteria. We chatted. Both of us had been tapped for membership in Nacoms, the College's oldest senior society. I had accepted, Joe had not, and he explained to me why. Joe, who had established the Double Discovery program, an exemplary outreach program to serve and help the young in Harlem, said Nacoms was an elitist organization, and he wanted nothing to do with it. He was right. In later years, I came to see, and more fully understand, the simple power he had shared with me many years before. I wound up giving my Nacoms ring to a Russian woman whom I had met in Moscow in 1991.

Joe Albeck exemplified the best about Columbia College. As it turned out, both of us also became poets. Joe published a number of his poems in a book that he sold to raise for an organization he had founded to help children of survivors of the Holocaust. His grandparents had been murdered in Nazi Germany.

I am sorry Prof. Greenblatt didn't matriculate to Columbia instead of Yale. Maybe Joe and Stephen would have met. Maybe they met at Harvard. I hope so.

Tod Howard Hawks CC 66

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.