VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Columbia and Chicago Threads: Unraveling of HYP Hegemony

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:50:47 07/19/17 Wed
In reply to: Anthony 's message, "Columbia and Chicago Threads: Unraveling of HYP Hegemony" on 14:55:01 07/12/17 Wed

Thank you Old Lion for suggesting we read Professor Greenblat's article in the New Yorker titled Shakespeare's Cure for Xenophobia. It was enlightening to read about his first-hand the prejudices he had to overcome at Yale in the 1960's. Like most of us, I can grumble and make fun of political correctness in the Ivy League. Yet, reading articles like this reminds me why activists can feel so passionate about social change. Fortunately, the Ivy League has evolved for the better.

Enjoy the read

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/07/10/shakespeares-cure-for-xenophobia

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Columbia and Chicago Threads: Unraveling of HYP Hegemony

Author:
Old Lion (Thanks)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:49:52 07/23/17 Sun

For posting. I would have done so myself but it is beyond my technological level of competence. I wish that there would be more Stephen Greenblatts and fewer PC professors. The PC agenda is driven by the faculty. On a decidedly non-PC front I and other Columbians of my generation are mourning the passing of the great Ted de Bary, scholar, gentleman, teacher and fervent Columbia football fan. I remember seeing him at a game as recently as last Fall, all of 96 years old, as he was being helped to the Maniatty Lounge. And when the Greenblatts and other great scholars leave the scene, I shudder to think what will fill the void.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.