VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Yale Football 79-81

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:08:14 08/03/17 Thu

These were the best Yale teams I ever had the privilege to watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hN2riReH6I

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: 1969-71 Ed Marinaro breaks NCAA Division I record.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:08:21 08/03/17 Thu

Those were great years for Cornell fans too and many of us can remember when Schoellkopf Field was rocking on autumn Saturday afternoons. So much for the past I guess. Meanwhile Cornell's new president Martha Pollack just announced she was canceling our Nike contract. Oh well it's probably going to be a lot more Saturday afternoons in a nearly empty Schoellkopf Field. Time to renew my Syracuse tickets.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Yale Football 79-81

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:00:41 08/03/17 Thu

That was a fun time. I saw every game home and away.

'67-'69 were pretty good years, too.

Author:
Handsome Dan (Handsome Dan)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:37:34 08/03/17 Thu

Yale has had a great tradition. What has happened? Do we recruit good players and fail to develop them? Do the players lose interest once they are in the current Yale system?

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale Football 79-81

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:41:54 08/04/17 Fri

Cubs and Red Sox fans asked the same type of questions for a century. Answers are not easy to find, but I'll take a shot. The initiation of the academic index and the IAA downgrade coincided with Yale's decline, so that's certainly a big part of it. However, the biggest culprit is a lack of institutional support, starting with Giammatti's anti sports speech in 1981 and continued in spirit by Levin. Most recently this lack of institutional support is evidenced by the understaffed athletics trainers/physical therapists resources available to support Yale Football. It's encouraging that steps have finally been taken to remedy this. Time will tell if it's enough.

[> [> [> Subject: if you ask me .....

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:09:56 08/04/17 Fri

... which you certainly didn't (!), the reason for the decline in Yale football during this period has more to do with the steady decline in the attractiveness of New Haven as a place to spend four years. Cambridge has retained its appeal, Philadelphia, New York City, Princeton and other locales (with the possible exception of Ithaca) have experienced an enhanced quality of life, while New Haven has slid backward. This issue can, and should be addressed by the Yale leadership. There have been efforts made, but they have been inadequate..

Author:
Unknown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:59:12 08/04/17 Fri

One would think African American students would feel more welcome in New Haven versus Princeton

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:10:19 08/04/17 Fri

Expanding on Unknown's comment, Calvin Hill has said that he found New Haven a very congenial place, coming from his background in Baltimore and New York. During the 60's, Yale was a real magnet for excellent African-American ballplayers--Princeton was anathema to them, Dartmouth was too rural, and Harvard had some strange problems with their complement of black ballplayers, several quit in the mid-60's, making political statements.

While it is true that from the mid-80's until the late 90's New Haven exhibited pretty extreme examples of urban decay, including crime, the city has been coming back, and it still has an atmosphere that appeals to its old line recruiting constituents, African Americans and blue collar rust belt types. Perhaps some of the recent problems in getting back into the forefront of Ivy contention relate to perceptions of recruits from the Sunbelt, where so much of today's high school football talent resides.

That being said, Yale has many advantages, and if the present coaching staff cannot present these properly and bring home an Ivy title soon, they soon will be looking for other employment.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale Football 79-81

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:29:23 08/04/17 Fri

gentlemen; may i dare add are squads for 1935-1937;1955-1957;1967-1969. if memory serves me there were two heisman trophy winners on the squads between 1935-1937. The bygone era of our blue's prowess on the gridiron did indeed change by the unceremonious dumping into a category called one double a regrettably supported by the once exalted bear mr paterno.to our blues credit as well as the tigers and cantabs a decision right, wrong or indifferent elected not to abandon the remaining members of the ancient eight.

[> [> Subject: New Haven's attraction to blacks ...

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:14:46 08/04/17 Fri

Nobody likes to get whacked over the head, no matter what color they are. The crime rate has dropped dramatically in Philadelphia and New York, for example, while it has risen, if anything, in New Haven, for whatever reason.

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:47:14 08/04/17 Fri

More recently, Yale football had success and a great coach in Jack Siedlecki. But he was run out of town. Perhaps now that Tony Reno has beaten Harvard once he has earned the graces of the alumni that pressured Siedlecki out.

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:49:58 08/04/17 Fri

Jack was a good guy and a decent coach. Nowhere near great.

[> [> [> Subject: If I could edit...

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:29:44 08/04/17 Fri

Jack was as solid a head coach as any. A mistake to let him leave on a sour note. All he did wrong was not beat H.

I will eat crow if Reno beats H again. A strange year for the Crimson and the Eli chose the right game to start playing defense.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: If I could edit...

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:40:30 08/04/17 Fri

Since Jack couldn't beat Harvard, no matter when he left would have been on a sour note.

Author:
Handsome dan (Handsome Dan)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:39:50 08/04/17 Fri

Yale has had top rated recruits, typically rated as one of the top 3 in the Ivies,over the past 4 years, but has failed to make these players better. A shoeshine and a smile does not equate to winning and developing players to return a once great team back to the top of the Ivy League.
This season should provide a window into whether we need to hire someone who can both recruit and develop. Yale deserves better.

Author:
Observer15 (Observer again)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:25:32 08/05/17 Sat

Observer keeps saying New Haven is more unsafe that other urban areas and it has been neglected as if saying it repeatedly will make it true. That is nonsense. Yes, New Haven is in an urban area, so is Cambridge for that matter, and New Haven still has deep challenges, including in certain areas, but New Haven's crime rate has gone DOWN. The area surrounding the campus is more than "there have been efforts" and they are inadequate. The area has not only vastly improved, it is booming -the restaurant scene alone is amazing, not to mention the cultural scene with theaters and art galleries. There is construction everywhere with new apartments. Real estate rates are going up and up as people want to move back into town -we considered and are considering a condo there ourselves, although it is expensive, as we have come to love it -between New York and Boston, close to New York, easy access to the shoreline on the coast and also to the Berkshires. Streets are crowded day and night with shoppers, visitors etc. The campus looks beautiful -the fully renovated colleges, and the two new ones look tremendous from the quick glance I got going through town from the outside (though few I think have been inside yet). This man's continuing barraging of Yale is weird. I guess it must be envy: if you dismiss a thing you ignore it. But Observer's repeated attention, often with wholly inaccurate information, prove something else must be going on.

[> [> [> Subject: Well check the stats - New Haven vs. NYC:

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:13:18 08/05/17 Sat

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&city1=New+York%2C+NY&country2=United+States&city2=New+Haven%2C+CT

[> [> [> [> Subject: Then there's this list of America's most dangerous cities: (New Haven #4)

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:33:24 08/05/17 Sat

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dangerous-cities-2011-5?op=1/#detroit-mich-24

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Or, if you wish, compare Cambridge vs. New Haven in various categories ...

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:38:55 08/05/17 Sat

http://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/cambridge_ma/new_haven_ct/crime

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Or, compare Manhattan vs. New Haven in crime or other categories

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:46:19 08/05/17 Sat

http://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/manhattan_ny/new_haven_ct/crime

[> [> [> Subject: I think

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:53:21 08/05/17 Sat

Observer pretty much proved his point but remember big O more than two posts in a row is talking to yourself

Author:
Steve Mathiason
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:32:41 08/05/17 Sat

I have always felt that those Yale teams of 1979-1981 were about as strong as Ivy teams could get at that time. They got some votes in the poll in 1981 after beating Navy and starting 8-0.

Ivy football was beginning to improve at that time. A 10th game had been authorized, and Ivy teams were using it to schedule teams like Army, Navy, Air Force, Cincinnati, Boston College, Penn State, etc. The league looked like it was on its way towards being a decent mid-major league in football before the demotion occurred.

[> [> Subject: Yale University

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:28:19 08/05/17 Sat

Yale University was in fact the only Ivy League institution allowed to remain at the 1A division. Yale should have dissolved their affiliation with the league. If they did this at that point Yale would've been a lot better off.in doing so we would not be having these ridiculous brain numbing conversations ,with pompous arrogant Wind bags

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale University

Author:
Observer15 ((Observer Again))
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:35:45 08/05/17 Sat

This will be my last on this subject lest I become like Observer but I cannot let him hold sway here. I do not accept he has “proved his point” at all. Statistics have to be interpreted: otherwise lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Yes, for sure, pockets of New Haven have serious crime –unfortunately there are poor enclaves there where textiles and manufacturing have moved out (the tale of many an American city) where gangs mostly are killing one another. The area around the campus has improved just about 1000% since the 1980s and is now filled with upscale stores, terrific restaurants and cultural institutions as reported in my last entry. These areas are flourishing as anyone who is actually there can see. Construction is booming and people want to live downtown. It is of course where Yale students are likely to walk and be.

Most forms of crime around campus –including thefts etc are no worse in New Haven than Cambridge and in fact at Yale are dramatically down in recent decades (plural) and only those who have not been there or are attached to old news for personal reasons say otherwise. Harvard has plenty of warnings on how to keep safe at night: http://www.hio.harvard.edu/safety and there is good reason you are warned not to walk alone at night.It is no more safe or unsafe to walk between Adams House and the Quad at night than it is to walk between TD and Davenport. You see beggars on the sidewalks around Harvard as you do in New Haven.

As to serious crimes, unfortunately, these can -and do –happen everywhere. Below three horrific famous Harvard murder cases followed by two horrific famous Yale cases, each a bit different. Point: terrible things can and do happen anywhere. These sad crimes below happened either on or near the campuses of both institutions, perpetrated by students as well as others.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/9/30/brittany-smith-harvard-shooting-sentenced/

http://www.nytimes.com/1973/11/25/archives/harvard-professors-wife-slain-after-rape-in-a-cambridge-park.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/29/us/harvard-student-stabs-roommate-to-death.html

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/12/07/investigators-continue-cold-cases/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Christian_Prince

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale University

Author:
Anthony
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:27:00 08/05/17 Sat

Well, you might still be having ridiculous, brain-numbing conversations with pompous, arrogant windbags. If Yale were still in the FBS, your conversations would just be with *different* windbags.

Although I'll grant you this: Ivy windbags and especially Harvard windbags are in a special category of pompous and arrogant. Why? Perhaps for the same reason that they say the politics are so severe in Ivy academic departments: Because the stakes are so small.

[> [> [> Subject: Excuse me ,,,,

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:01 08/05/17 Sat

Thats not true.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Observer, that was good timing.!! very funny

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:23:02 08/05/17 Sat

[> [> [> Subject: The Ivy League and Division I

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:21:19 08/06/17 Sun

"Actually, four of the Ivy League teams meet one or both of the requirements, but must go with their four sister schools into Division I-AA if they want to maintain a formal football league. All eight Ivy League athletic directors were present for the vote and said they would stay together. The four Ivy League teams that qualify with big enough stadiums are Penn, Princeton, Yale and Harvard. Yale and Harvard also meet the attendance requirement. The other four are Brown, Columbia, Cornell and Dartmouth." (NY Times)

[> [> [> [> Subject: Fake news

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:27:49 08/06/17 Sun

Goldstein said in his book that only Yale met the attendance requirements.

[> [> [> [> Subject: The New York Times has Fake News now, but told the truth in 1981

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:37:22 08/06/17 Sun

Not that it makes any difference, because four of the eight Ivies exceeded the minimum stadium size at that point, and were qualified to remain in Division 1. The "Big Boys" unanimously voted to leave Div. 1 in order to stick with their fellow Ivy Leaguers.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Goldstein locuta; causa finita est.

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:16:03 08/06/17 Sun

Goldstein wrote a comprehensive book on Ivy Football history. If he says that only Yale qualified for IA status in 1981 but voted to remain with the other seven in IAA, then that's it for me.

Of course, if you can find other errors in his book, I'm listening. It would be odd if THAT is the only thing he got wrong, wouldn't it? I mean, that's pretty egregious....

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:51:36 08/05/17 Sat

Those teams could be scheduled again if the Ivy League would add an 11th game and petition the NCAA for bowl counter status equal to the rest of the FCS. It would be as if the IAA demotion never happened. Such a simple solution is all that is necessary to restore Ivy League football to where it was in 1981. The problem is the presidents don't want it restored.

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:38:11 08/05/17 Sat

Since we are getting somewhat nasty about some of our urban environments, I thought I would weigh in here ....

It is important to note that our universities are oriented to the younger generation. Thus, it is relevant to consider what are general Millennial preferences related to their housing and restaurant choices. Having spent a ton of time with wide cross section of successful Millennial entrepreneurs, I have learned firsthand how different the tastes are for the Millennials.

Millennials tend to prefer urban hip neighborhoods with good restaurant and arts options. In turn, they are not as interested in the safer, but far less lively suburban neighborhoods. Many of the most popular Millennial neighborhoods are going through dramatic gentrification transition as with Chelsea in NYC, Wicker Park in Chicago and the Mission District in San Francisco. These urban lifestyle trends are important factors to consider when evaluating the five more urban Ivy campuses in Manhattan, Cambridge, New Haven, Philadelphia, and Providence. These trends were an important factor in Cornell decision to open its tech campus in NYC. While Princeton and Dartmouth clearly have amazing and unique campuses, I would not be surprised to see one or both eventually open a satellite urban campus. In fact, Dartmouth recently began taking 60 of its MBA students to San Francisco every fall to experience this dynamic city.

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:31:37 08/06/17 Sun

So where does the Stanford, the University of the 21st century, fit in?

Palo Alto is not urban.

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:13:30 08/06/17 Sun

Having recently spent time there, I was shocked at how grungy downtown San Francisco has become and how many dysfunctional people roam the area. I don't doubt it still appeals to some people interested in Stanford as an accessible facility, but children of friends (i.e. millenials) who have moved there for work seem unimpressed and it's probably more expensive than NYC.

I think Stanford attacts people who like a CA mindset, which doesn't necessarily mean a big city; the West Coast weather, which surpasses East Coast winters; and the great opportunities it offers post graduation, including proximity to Silicon Valley. I don't think Palo Alto location itself factors as heavily into the equation as it might for an East Coast school.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale Football 79-81

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:12:42 08/06/17 Sun

Disappointed at how partisan some of the comments (mostly from Mr. O) have been. I've been around the Ivy block quite a few times at this point (my first Ivy game was in 1963, Dartmouth's very exciting upset of Princeton in season ending game in Palmer Stadium, postponed until November 30 due to dire events in Dallas on November 22 that year).

In the ensuing 50-plus years, I have seen countless Ivy games, and made friends with scores of Ivy grads from all points of the Ivy compass. One thing that this experience proves to me is that, despite unusual Penn-Harvard dominance of past 15 years, nothing is set in concrete, and somewhere in our League, a new Blackman or Cozza will establish himself and with that kind of recruiting/coaching, and a new dominant power will arise to challenge and then overthrow the twin dynasty headquartered in Philly and Cambridge.

Believers in eternal Harvard dominance on the gridiron are going to get their comeuppance from some sector, I hope the sling that takes down Goliath comes from my alma mater on Long Island Sound!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Who is this "Goliath" you're hoping to "take down"?

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:19:59 08/06/17 Sun

Is it Penn, which has won the last two titles?

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:11:10 08/06/17 Sun

I am not suggesting that beautiful, picturesque campuses like Stanford, Princeton, Dartmouth and Cornell will continue to thrive. Rather, my point simply is that the Millennials are more urban oriented than our generation. In turn, this works to the advantage of urban college towns like New Haven that are pursuing a neighborhood gentrification strategy, as well as help these cities to attract and retain young talent.

In terms of Stanford, it technically qualifies as both urban and suburban. Its 8,000 acre Stanford campus is so sprawling that is nicknamed "The Farm". Yet, the campus is located in heart of Santa Clara County, which is better known as Silicon Valley. This "suburban" Silicon Valley area offers over 68 million square feet of office space, including 9.2 million square feet of office space and dozens of prominent headquarters in the City of Palo Alto. After the Cardinal, the best known bird is the construction crane.

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:44:23 08/06/17 Sun

Reviewing my first sentence which was not clearly stated, I was trying to say that picturesque suburban campuses can and will continue to thrive, but that trends are increasingly favoring urban campuses today in many respects.

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:17:06 08/06/17 Sun

Like Duke.

[> [> Subject: There is nothing urban about Stanford

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:40:17 08/07/17 Mon

I have lived within a stone's throw of Stanford for many years and in no way are there any urban qualities to the campus. It does sprawl but it does so in a rural way.

As for silicon valley there is nothing urban about that either. It's all clusters of modest buildings, suburbs and strip malls. The closest to urban it gets is downtown San Jose which is not urban in the way other cities are.

Can't find it now but someone made a comment about San Francisco's mission district being an example of millennial preferences. To clear up any confusion, San Francisco is a dump. The filth and stink of homeless is unlike anywhere else except maybe Bombay. It clogs up everything, including the financial district which doesn't even have much housing. There are gentrified pockets around the city but not complete neighborhoods of comfort. Big money folks of whatever age who want to live in the city can rent or buy a skinny victorian and make it an oasis/bubble but it is not a large swath neighborhood of millennials taking over.

San Francisco millennials choose to live in San Francisco but this is nothing new. Young workerbees have been flocking there for decades and those who seek it will find some charm in the foggy stench.

The only thing millenials are known for in San Francisco is driving up the price of avocado on toasted sourdough to over $10.

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:52 08/07/17 Mon

Duke is similar to Stanford in that it is another picturesque campus in setting that provides both an urban and suburban feel. The Duke campus is only 10 miles northwest from one of the nation's top high tech hubs, the Research Triangle Park, that provides 22.5 million sq. ft of office space and is home to over 200 companies employing over 50,000 workers.

[> Subject: Yale-Princeton 1981 Highlight Film

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:13:10 08/14/17 Mon

Worst interference call ever.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JLWfnQt48K0

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Princeton 1981 Highlight Film

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:36:31 09/05/17 Tue

Observer,

Keep it up. You and your venom will keep prospective families clear of Harvard. Why would anyone send their child to Harvard to become so hateful.
I hope you find some JOY in your life. It is too short.

Bill

[> [> Subject: Speaking of bad calls in that 4th quarter

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:35:56 09/05/17 Tue

1) Cozza trying the field goal that set up the final possession.

2) No intentional grounding?
https://youtu.be/JLWfnQt48K0?t=10m43s

3) The interference call can be viewed directly at:
https://youtu.be/JLWfnQt48K0?t=12m43s

Author:
Old Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:34:26 09/04/17 Mon

If New Haven were such a discouraging factor, Yale's overall admission rate would not be in single digits. It's still a beautiful campus and after malignant neglect ("deferred maintenance"), the physical plant is in great shape after a couple decades of serious investment. That argument holds no water whatsoever.

[> [> Subject: Almost all Connecticut Cities, including New Haven, are in decline

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:05:26 09/05/17 Tue

15 out of 19 lost population in the past year ---
https://ctmirror.org/2017/05/25/new-census-estimates-most-ct-cities-losing-residents/

Brookings saw the trend in the 2000 census figures ...
https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/escape-from-connecticuts-cities/

What on earth is wrong with Connecticut? (Atlantic Magazine)
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/07/connecticut-tax-inequality-cities/532623/

"In the biggest picture, Connecticut is a victim of two huge trends—first, the revitalization of America’s great rich cities and second, the long-term rise of hot, cheap suburbs. But Connecticut’s cities are not rich or great; its weather is not hot year-round; and its cost-of-living is not low. The state once benefited from the migration of corporations and their employees from grim and dangerous nearby metros, but now that wave is receding. To get rich, Connecticut offered a leafy haven where America’s titans of finance could move. To stay rich, it will have to build cities where middle-class Americans actually want to stay."

National Review: "Connecticut in 2017 seems like a state on the verge of — or in the middle of — an inexorable decline."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/448355/connecticut-businesses-population-are-fleeing-state

"Connecticut is collapsing" (Daily Beast):
"Connecticut’s population has churned as its youth chase opportunities elsewhere and retirees fled to warmer climes.
Its total population fell to 3.576 million in 2016 from 3.596 million in 2013 and is now below 2010 levels, according to U.S. Census records.
The decline is largely due to domestic outmigration, or residents fleeing for other states. Records show 135,684 people left from 2010 to 2016, although foreign immigrants and births have replaced some of those losses.
Young adults (age 18 to 29) are leaving the state at a higher rate than other groups, according to state revenue records analyzed by CTdata".

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Almost all Massachusetts in decline

Author:
Observer15
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:01:43 09/05/17 Tue

On a very short time -who wants to give more to this

Why are so many people leaving Massachusetts
http://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/2016/02/24/massachusetts-population-thomas-j-fitzgerald

Continuing decline over last decade in Massachust-etts middle cities
http://pioneerinstitute.org/better_government/continuing-decline-over-last-decade-in-massachusetts-middle-cities/

A state of decline –Why Massachusetts is losing people
http://archive.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/10/23/a_state_of_decline/?page=2

Etc etc etc

Observer –what is wrong with you? something for sure.What is the actual source of your hate for Yale.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Yale is fine ... its all that is keeping New Haven afloat!

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:50:00 09/05/17 Tue

But its going to have to take on more of the financial burden.

12 of the Worst Places to Live in the US

"New Haven ranked #4 among the 12 worst cities to live in in America:

New Haven is the second largest city in Connecticut after Bridgeport. New Haven is well-known for being the home of Yale University, one of the most prestigious schools in the country. However, the surrounding areas of New Haven are impoverished and crime ridden. The population of the Connecticut city is 130,741. The economy of New Haven was originally based in manufacturing, but since the end of the war New Haven’s working class population has been hit hard. The median household income in New Haven is $29,604 (half the annual cost for a student to attend Yale!) and approximately 25% of the city’s residents live below the poverty line. New Haven also has a significantly high crime rate, as it’s ranked safer than only 3% of US cities. Nearly 68 crimes occur annually for every 1,000 residents. Unless you’re moving there to study, we don’t recommend residing in New Haven."

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: It's not just Yale

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:40:23 09/05/17 Tue

The insecurity rages over anything that threatens the illusion of Harvard superiority, although Yale seems to be at the forefront.

I'll bet that while that image is critical to his self-worth, he actually contributes very little to sustaining it.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Talk about "insecurity"!

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:11:18 09/05/17 Tue

What does New Haven's widely-perceived status as a dump have to do with "the illusion of Harvard superiority?" Nobody is criticizing Yale here, or threatening Yale's "illusion of self-worth". Certainly that "illusion" cannot lean on New Haven to support it, can it Calvin?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Yes, insecurity

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:34:47 09/05/17 Tue

Obvious to everyone else, from every school - even other Harvard fans - but you.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Nothing is more "obvious" than your snottiness.

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:28:17 09/05/17 Tue

Even other Yale fans find you extremely snotty.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Almost all Connecticut Cities, including New Haven, are in decline

Author:
Old Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:33:55 09/05/17 Tue

again, this has nothing at all to do with how attractive Yale is to prospective students. nothing. they live on campus, rarely leave it, and the troubles in the city, state and region are doing absolutely nothing to dampen the enthusiasm of high school students around the world to attend the school.

[> [> [> [> Subject: No Peeping O your wrong again

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:58:54 09/05/17 Tue

But you are a funny little man.!! I don't mean by stature either.? With your snotty ego have gone far.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Almost all Connecticut Cities, including New Haven, are in decline

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:50:49 09/05/17 Tue

Observer,

Your transparent hate will keep prospective students from Harvard. Why would anyone go to a school where there is so much hate? Too much hate in the world as it is. I feel sorry for you, life is too short.

Bill

[> [> [> [> Subject: Yale is fine. New Haven is a dump

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:48:18 09/05/17 Tue

No "hate" here, old man. Amazement that anybody devoted to Yale feels the need to stick up for the dump, however.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale is fine. New Haven is a dump

Author:
Observer15
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:55:20 09/06/17 Wed

Take a video tour right around Yale where Yale students live and see for yourselves.

Video tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PHApdWRjEY

And then have a look at Yale's new colleges and think what it might be like to live in those. Observer is so sad.

new colleges: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EW45IDJXxo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS4tC4R5ctg

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Almost all Connecticut Cities, including New Haven, are in decline

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:07:43 09/05/17 Tue

Observer,

Your obsession of trying to degrade anything and everything associated with Yale is amazing. Constantly trying to discredit Yale, and its city, to attempt to validate Harvard is childish and reeks of insecurity.

Yes, I am old. With age comes wisdom. Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I am proud of my alma mater and feel no need to put down others.

Be secure Observer. Harvard is a fine institution. No need for hate, it will kill you.

Bill

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: You keep missing the point, old man ...

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:03:04 09/05/17 Tue

Yale is a fine school, and has never been "discredited" by me; but New Haven is widely perceived to be a dump.

Author:
L et V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:09:23 09/05/17 Tue

We should delight in poor O as he personifies so much that people find objectionable/ludicrous. If he weren't around to mock, torment, and best, we'd have to invent him, but, praise be, someone's already done so.
Sad O is the brilliant creation of a satirist with a devilish anti-Harvard bent. He is the Mortimer Snerd of an anonymous Edgar Bergen.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Wow!

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:57:12 09/05/17 Tue

You put a lot of THOUGHT in that, didn't you? All on behalf of New Haven??

[> [> [> [> Subject: Peeping O you should do as well,

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:15:59 09/05/17 Tue

In your special OCD way. A little thought goes a long way.?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: In the Big 0's case

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:10:16 09/05/17 Tue

It's the other way around.

A lot of thought goes a little way.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: In "Calvin's" case...

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:04:40 09/05/17 Tue

Certainly true in your case, Mr Snotty

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Big O lend me your sleeve , wipe snot off me

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:32:37 09/05/17 Tue

The Mr. Snotty O.!!!

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.