VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Yale University

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:28:19 08/05/17 Sat
In reply to: Steve Mathiason 's message, "Re: Yale Football 79-81" on 14:32:41 08/05/17 Sat

Yale University was in fact the only Ivy League institution allowed to remain at the 1A division. Yale should have dissolved their affiliation with the league. If they did this at that point Yale would've been a lot better off.in doing so we would not be having these ridiculous brain numbing conversations ,with pompous arrogant Wind bags

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale University

Author:
Observer15 ((Observer Again))
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:35:45 08/05/17 Sat

This will be my last on this subject lest I become like Observer but I cannot let him hold sway here. I do not accept he has “proved his point” at all. Statistics have to be interpreted: otherwise lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Yes, for sure, pockets of New Haven have serious crime –unfortunately there are poor enclaves there where textiles and manufacturing have moved out (the tale of many an American city) where gangs mostly are killing one another. The area around the campus has improved just about 1000% since the 1980s and is now filled with upscale stores, terrific restaurants and cultural institutions as reported in my last entry. These areas are flourishing as anyone who is actually there can see. Construction is booming and people want to live downtown. It is of course where Yale students are likely to walk and be.

Most forms of crime around campus –including thefts etc are no worse in New Haven than Cambridge and in fact at Yale are dramatically down in recent decades (plural) and only those who have not been there or are attached to old news for personal reasons say otherwise. Harvard has plenty of warnings on how to keep safe at night: http://www.hio.harvard.edu/safety and there is good reason you are warned not to walk alone at night.It is no more safe or unsafe to walk between Adams House and the Quad at night than it is to walk between TD and Davenport. You see beggars on the sidewalks around Harvard as you do in New Haven.

As to serious crimes, unfortunately, these can -and do –happen everywhere. Below three horrific famous Harvard murder cases followed by two horrific famous Yale cases, each a bit different. Point: terrible things can and do happen anywhere. These sad crimes below happened either on or near the campuses of both institutions, perpetrated by students as well as others.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/9/30/brittany-smith-harvard-shooting-sentenced/

http://www.nytimes.com/1973/11/25/archives/harvard-professors-wife-slain-after-rape-in-a-cambridge-park.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/29/us/harvard-student-stabs-roommate-to-death.html

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/12/07/investigators-continue-cold-cases/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Christian_Prince

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale University

Author:
Anthony
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:27:00 08/05/17 Sat

Well, you might still be having ridiculous, brain-numbing conversations with pompous, arrogant windbags. If Yale were still in the FBS, your conversations would just be with *different* windbags.

Although I'll grant you this: Ivy windbags and especially Harvard windbags are in a special category of pompous and arrogant. Why? Perhaps for the same reason that they say the politics are so severe in Ivy academic departments: Because the stakes are so small.

[> [> [> Subject: Excuse me ,,,,

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:01 08/05/17 Sat

Thats not true.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Observer, that was good timing.!! very funny

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:23:02 08/05/17 Sat

[> [> [> Subject: The Ivy League and Division I

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:21:19 08/06/17 Sun

"Actually, four of the Ivy League teams meet one or both of the requirements, but must go with their four sister schools into Division I-AA if they want to maintain a formal football league. All eight Ivy League athletic directors were present for the vote and said they would stay together. The four Ivy League teams that qualify with big enough stadiums are Penn, Princeton, Yale and Harvard. Yale and Harvard also meet the attendance requirement. The other four are Brown, Columbia, Cornell and Dartmouth." (NY Times)

[> [> [> [> Subject: Fake news

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:27:49 08/06/17 Sun

Goldstein said in his book that only Yale met the attendance requirements.

[> [> [> [> Subject: The New York Times has Fake News now, but told the truth in 1981

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:37:22 08/06/17 Sun

Not that it makes any difference, because four of the eight Ivies exceeded the minimum stadium size at that point, and were qualified to remain in Division 1. The "Big Boys" unanimously voted to leave Div. 1 in order to stick with their fellow Ivy Leaguers.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Goldstein locuta; causa finita est.

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:16:03 08/06/17 Sun

Goldstein wrote a comprehensive book on Ivy Football history. If he says that only Yale qualified for IA status in 1981 but voted to remain with the other seven in IAA, then that's it for me.

Of course, if you can find other errors in his book, I'm listening. It would be odd if THAT is the only thing he got wrong, wouldn't it? I mean, that's pretty egregious....

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.