VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Josh Rosen's views on college football

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 08:03:28 08/09/17 Wed
In reply to: Bob S 's message, "Josh Rosen's views on college football" on 23:03:41 08/08/17 Tue

That idea makes perfect sense, so it will probably never happen. The Ivy League presidents aren't reasonable when it comes to football. They clearly have a bias in favor of basketball.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Josh Rosen's views on college football

Author:
Anthony
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:44:40 08/09/17 Wed

I imagine that, although it's the presidents who sign off on all initiatives, it's really the coaches and athletic directors who start them and attempt to navigate through the political process.

This recent decision to play the men's lacrosse tournament on a campus site at a school which does not even sponsor men's lacrosse fascinates me.

To me, it makes no sense whatsoever except as a way to create something which seems to support the decision to hold the basketball tournament at The Palestra. The lacrosse decision looks and feels like a precedent created after the fact.

The athletic directors are really digging into their foolish decision to hold the basketball tournament in Philadelphia. In a perverse way, I'm hoping that Penn is once again the fourth seed and this time around knocks off the top seed to demonstrate the inanity of having the tournament on the Quakers' home court.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: We've been through this to death...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:11:59 08/09/17 Wed

If its "inane" to have it at the Palestra, where exactly do you want to have it?

And don't say "the regular season champ's court." The league wants to have both the men's and women's tournaments at the same venue.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Four Great Ideas ---> Problem Solved

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:25:12 08/10/17 Thu

I've already solved this problem for the League. Just off the top of my head, here are some possible solutions. Conduct the joint men's and women's tournaments at:

(a) the regular season champion men's team in even years and the regular season champion women's team in odd years

(b) either the regular season champion men's or women's team, depending upon which team had the highest cumulative home attendance

(c) either the regular season champion men's or women's team, depending upon which team finished with a greater margin of victory over the second place team

and finally, the greatest idea of all time:

(d) at the school with the best combined men's and women's regular season records

If the Ivy League were to adopt any of strategies (b), (c) or (d), the media attention would be overwhelming. If part of the goal of these tournaments is to attract the press, pick either (c) or (d) and our conference will get more attention than it has since Princeton upset UCLA.

Penn and Princeton fans should be salivating over (d) because the Quakers and Tigers will own the women's side as long as their current head coaches remain on the job.

You're welcome, America.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Four Great Ideas ---> Problem Solved

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:19:52 08/11/17 Fri

By the way, going with choice (d) has the added benefit that the tournament will end up at one of our two largest venues.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Points for thinking!

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:27:42 08/11/17 Fri

I give you credit for being aware of the parameters of what we're working with. Guys who just say "It's stupid to have it at the Palestra" without acknowledging that the league wants to have both tournaments at the same venue are right up there with the guys who say "Ivy League football is going to Division III" without acknowledging the existence of the Dayton Rule. At best, it shows that the proffered opinion is uninformed.

I get the people who criticize having a tournament at all. They have an alternative (i.e., no tournament).

I get the people who criticize the decision to have both tournaments at the same venue. They have an alternative (i.e., have each at the regular season's champ campus).

I remain bewildered by the people who criticize the decision to have the tournament at the Palestra. We ask what their alternative venue is, and we get freaking crickets...

Oh well.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.