VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Josh Rosen's views on college football

Author:
Penn Pop
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:20:32 08/10/17 Thu
In reply to: Bob S 's message, "Josh Rosen's views on college football" on 23:03:41 08/08/17 Tue

The amount of free time an Ivy football player has during the season is basically nil. I'm sure it's similar at non ivies as well but with the exception of a few schools I'm sure no where near the amount of academic rigor these guys have to deal with. Lets just say sleep depravation is something these guys live with on a daily basis.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Josh Rosen's views on college football

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:45:08 08/10/17 Thu

Let's hope it's not depravation.

Although some Dartmouth guys I knew....

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Josh Rosen's views on college football

Author:
The Lion (School or Battlefield)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:01:14 08/10/17 Thu

Josh Rosen is living proof that there is no "schooling" in The USA anymore, so let's just acknowledge that sports, sex, liquor, rioting and progressive dementia are the reasons for universities to exist today. Even Ivy schools. Especially Ivy schools and others that pretend to academic cachet
like Berkeley, where the inmates rule the jailers--who are disgraceful
apparatchiks from the Clinton-Obama farces, like Janet Napolitano and Robert Reich.

Having turned students into thugs, these fools find teen-agers much more difficult to control than law-abiding, tax-paying adults, so much so that the WSJ hilariously reported today about e-mail chains disclosing construction
of a new secret and secure exit from the suite of offices for Berkeley's chancellor and staff. This was to counter "life-threatening emergencies"
that included a student mob crashing the chancellor's door not long before
while brave secretaries and fundraisers desperately held the door shut.

Besides the new "escape hatch" as WSJ called it, a $700,000 security fence was built around the chancellor's residence, also the site of intrusions. Is there a fund I can contribute to, to protect our somewhat (but not entirely) more worthy President Lee Bollinger? I envisage a water slide from the top of Low Library plunging underground into the pool
at the gym, and then an escape through CU's underground tunnells into the safer streets of Harlem.

Completing the circle back to Josh Rosen, he's the fool who played
Trump's golf course not far from UCLA before the election, comped I'm sure, while wearing headgear that declared "F**K TRUMP."

Nuff said about the state of education in the "progressive" era. Let's play football!

[> [> [> Subject: plenty of time for academics, football and appropriate "depravation"

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:12:59 08/10/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: Except for those

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:38:03 08/10/17 Thu

deprived of depravation.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Indeed

Author:
Diogenes (Calvin)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:27:01 08/10/17 Thu

The deprived depraved. And, they vote, attend faculty meetings and abhor football.

[> [> Subject: We were busy in my day, but...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:22:17 08/10/17 Thu

We had some great victory parties on Saturday nights in the Fall.

:)

[> [> [> Subject: Re: We were busy in my day, but...

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:38:04 08/10/17 Thu

As Sondheim wrote back in '57, "I'm depraved 'cause I'm deprived." Sad to think that present day leftist campus thugs are hardly "deprived." African-American "screaming coed" at Yale, getting in the face of her residential college Master back in '15, was from an affluent family in Fairfield, CT.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Yep

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:52:55 08/11/17 Fri

Back in the day... now those were deprived leftist thugs!

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1959/3/16/yale-men-protest-police-brutality-after/

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2005/11/26/76466/Yale-University-Spring-of-1970.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiqtGmNYnRo

:)

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yep

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:06:52 08/11/17 Fri

I have no idea what was going on at Yale in 1959 (except for the fact our football team was undefeated and untied through its first six games, and then lost two of its last three to Colgate and Princeton), but the references to the Black Panther trial in 1970 bring me back to my time on campus. The big difference from today, it seems to me, is the mutual respect that existed between students and faculty back then. The idea that a faculty member would get called out and denounced to his face in a residential college quadrangle is something that wouldn't have happened in the sixties and seventies, however wild and wooly that time may have been.

Thanks, Go Green for attaching the article from Tennessee, the author of the response to the young woman at Yale, Bart Whiteman, was an All-Ivy League guard on Yale's championship teams of '67-69. Bart started the last of those two years, and was a hugely stabilizing force on the very youthful '69 champions, as he was one of only two returning offensive starters on that team. Come to think of it, the 1969 Yale co-champs must be the only team in Ivy history to have lost 9 starters on offense, and still registered a championship. Sadly Bart passed away around ten years ago.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yep

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:47:59 08/11/17 Fri

It's most disappointing to me that there was quite literally a mob of people yelling at a professor who was responding with carefully phrased, polite counter-arguments.

It speaks so poorly that these kids would whip each other up into a frenzy and conduct themselves like a gang verbally assaulting a person who was not attacking them.

Regardless of how you feel about the merits of the debate, one lone professor was speaking in measured tones while a bunch of students were yelling incoherently. Not a good look for the kids.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yep

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:07:35 08/11/17 Fri

Yes, I agree, the courtyard episode represents probably the nadir of discourse at modern Yale, and an indelible blot on Pres Salovey's tenure. In the 70's, Gen Westmoreland was shouted down at a Yale event, but that at least inspired the Woodward report and standards, which supposedly are still in effect at Yale. The report implicitly rejects the concept of "safe spaces" decades before such an idea ever was dreamed up by today's SJWs.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yep

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:48:37 08/11/17 Fri

gentlemen;our blue squad was somewhat of an enigma having won the first five games shutting out each opponent reaching a lofty ranking of thirteen.then came the monsoon game against the indians turning the bowl into aliteral soup with the pigskin squirting a around the field regrettably making its way into the tribe 's possession after several potential scoring threats in indian territory resulting in a 12-8 defeat.the next week was a totally unexplainable disaster to the quakers at franklin field only to rise to victory with a resounding defeat of the tigers at palmer stadium with our squad carrying mr oliver on their shoulders off the field.the next week was a shallacking at the bowl at the hands of the cantabs. it was a long next year which was rewarded with an undefeated squad in 1960.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yep

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:09:39 08/11/17 Fri

Happy to be corrected by old blue regarding my account of 1959 team. Dartmouth, not Colgate was the team that pricked the unscored-upon team's bubble, and apparently, save for the victory at Palmer Stadium, the team never recovered...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yep

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:32:21 08/11/17 Fri

gentlemen;our 1959 blue squad after a somewhat cataclysmic collapse rebounded under the artful direction mr oliver to deliver one of the best seasons in the history of blue football.ironically the 1960 squad started slowly creeping by the huskies 11-8 and bears 9-0. happy to have mr memphis as part of the remaining dye in the wool blue group.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yep

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:34:48 08/11/17 Fri

Thanks, old blue. I suspect that I don't go as far back as you, although I have met, at different times, both Messrs. Kelley and Frank, our never to be forgotten, back-to-back Heisman trophy winners.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: And a tip of the hat to Jordan Olivar

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:14:59 08/11/17 Fri

Yale's last part time coach. He had an insurance business in L.A. His 1960 team, featuring the great Mike Pyle, tied Navy for the Lambert Trophy. Dartmouth won the Lambert in 1965 with Syracuse second and again in 1970 with Penn State second.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: And a tip of the hat to Jordan Olivar

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:26:52 08/11/17 Fri

gentlemen;may i dare say in my minds eye i consider myself to be spry and alert. father time does march at a faster pace the older one achieves. it seems like only yesterday as a very young lad i witnessed the gridiron exploits of mr kelley and mr frank both remarkable gentlemen and true blues.without playing favorites i must say mr oliver was one our blue's best coaches. do not know much about his exploits in the insurance industry other than our blind administration did not have the foresight to pay him the salary he deserved prompting the exit from coaching.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Cornell won the Lambert in 1939 and Princeton won in 1950 and 1951

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:41:21 08/11/17 Fri

Since the 1-AA/FCS disaster, Ivy teams are no longer eligible for the Lambert Trophy. Penn State has now won it 30 times. Pitt, West Virginia, Syracuse, Army, Navy, UConn, Rutgers etc. are still in the running.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: First Ivy Lambert Cup was 2015 shared by Harvard, Dartmouth and Penn

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:50:44 08/11/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: There will be more

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:57:34 08/12/17 Sat

I think people are taking note on how many Ivy guys are going to NFL camps.

An undefeated or 9-1 Ivy team will be a strong contender for the Lambert going forward.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yep

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:33:59 08/11/17 Fri

If I remember correctly, an inexplicable loss to Colgate kept the 1956 team from an undefeated season

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yep

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:02:36 08/11/17 Fri

Gentlemen;our 1956 squad may have been better than our undefeated 1960 squad.the one blemish due to a series of several fumbles inside the red raider 20 yard line on a dark dreary and wet afternoon in the bowl which allowed the red raiders to escape with a 14-6 victory.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I still think about that Colgate game

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:18:54 08/11/17 Fri

The 56 Colgate game at the Bowl was during parents weekend. I recall some of the fans in the stands joking that the players must have participated in too many family festivities the day before the game as they certainly weren't playing like a nationally ranked team - which they were.

That's one that Ollie shouldn't have lost - but he was a terrific coach and he along with Delaney Kiphuth (Yale's outstanding AD) brought Yale football to a level of prominence that was all the more remarkable considering the newly formed league had espoused a de-emphasis of the sport.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Yale athletics in '56-'57

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:39:03 08/11/17 Fri

One of the great years. Championships in Football, basketball, and baseball.

Still in the midst of their unprecedented dual meet winning streak in swimming.

Huge representation in several sports at the 1956 Olympics including a good medal for the heavyweight crew

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale athletics in '56-'57

Author:
L et V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:20:47 08/11/17 Fri

A very good medal.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale athletics in '56-'57

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:11:04 08/11/17 Fri

That was three generations ago ....

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale athletics in '56-'57

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:46:29 08/11/17 Fri

There you go again Observer - always trying to impress us with your cognitive skills.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale athletics in '56-'57

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:31:52 08/11/17 Fri

Contrary to Observer's snark, it is worthwhile to look back on past glories--not all of them arising from New Haven--and contemplate where our League's football teams might be today were it not for a combination of NCAA money grabbers and spineless Ivy presidents who combined to eject the founders of the sport from their rightful places in football's top echelon. Resort to the history books shows that of our eight teams, six are former national champs, and Columbia won a Rose Bowl,. Brown had the first African-American superstar (and its own trip to the Rose Bowl). In 1981, we needed a Messiah to eject the money changers from the temple, but instead were betrayed by the triumvirate of Bok, Bowen and Giamatti.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: "Betrayed'?

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:49:24 08/12/17 Sat

What, exactly, did "Bok, Bowen and Giamatti" do that the other 5 presidents didn't want to do?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: "Betrayed'?

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:24:15 08/12/17 Sat

I'm not suggesting a Power 5 position for Ivies. However, on field performance of Ivies in late 70's early 80's was at Mid-Major level, and with proper support from Ivy trustees and administrators, there is no reason that Ivies can't play at that level today. Harvard already is there, and were Murphy not so timid in his OOC scheduling, we would have better proof of Ivy on the field quality approximates that of Mid American Conf, for one example.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale athletics in '56-'57

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:37:50 08/12/17 Sat

Consider the current upper echelon of FBS football. Is that where the Ivies' "rightful place" is?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale athletics in '56-'57

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:38:45 08/12/17 Sat

Along with Stanford and Notre Dame, yes. Having said that, I'd be content with being at the top echelon of FCS, so the Ivy League can remain intact. This would only require one rule change, which is FCS playoff participation. The quality is already there for the Ivy Champion to legitimately contend for a national championship.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: FCS champions ...

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:08:15 08/12/17 Sat

What are they ... the "best of the worst", the strongest of the weakest" or the tops of the bottoms"?

Whatever, its nothing to brag about.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: FCS champions ...

Author:
Son of Eli (To Observer)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:58:50 08/12/17 Sat

Some currently say the same things about the Ivy League Champion. They wouldn't be able to say that if the Ivy League showcased their talent in the FCS playoffs.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Ivy football could not compete for a FCS championship

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:39:04 08/12/17 Sat

I would concur, a deserving Ivy team should be allowed to participate if extended a playoff invitation. They may even win a first round game but the upper echelon teams are too deep these days fro an Ivy to compete for a championship. Some of those teams beat top 20 FBS teams. Look at the top 5 FCS programs and re-think the notion of an Ivy team being capable of knocking any of them off.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy football could not compete for a FCS championship

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:53:41 08/12/17 Sat

Colgate made it to the quarterfinals as recently as 2015. That year they beat James Madison, which became the National Champions the following year. Both Yale and Princeton beat that 2015 Colgate team in the regular season. Neither Yale nor Princeton was the best team in the Ivy that year.

Colgate also made it all the way to the Championship game in 2003. Yale gave them a competitive game in 2003 and beat them in 2004.

I think in the typical year an Ivy champion would win no more than a game or two in the playoffs, but a Cinderella once in a generation outlier could go all the way.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Colgate

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:25:25 08/16/17 Wed

True, Colgate has had formidable teams and it was a strong win over JMU. They tend to be up and down. I still don't believe an Ivy team would stand much of a chance to win a FCS title up against the best teams right now. Though as I have said a few times on this board, I am in favor of Ivy football participation in the FCS playoffs.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Washington Post Op-Ed says its always been this way

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:12:48 08/13/17 Sun

Timely piece given what we were discussing recently.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/conservatives-say-campus-speech-is-under-threat-thats-been-true-for-most-of-history/2017/08/11/6aa959fa-7c4b-11e7-9d08-b79f191668ed_story.html?utm_term=.b17b87a1899b

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.