VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: How is Reno still the coach?

Author:
Yale Alum
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 01:49:43 08/13/17 Sun

I can't believe that Reno is going into his 6th year as Head Coach. He has never finished better than third, under .500 at Yale which is impossible to do and had two 3-7 seconds.

Yale is a disaster of a school athletically and keeps bringing this D3 excuse for a coach back every year.

Wake up Yale!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: How is Reno still the coach?

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:55:56 08/13/17 Sun

He beat Harvard last year and saved his job.

Frank Navarro beat Yale in '81 to save his, temporarily.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: --> Why is Reno still the coach?

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:00:09 08/31/17 Thu

The problem is Yale does not have a recent precedent for firing head football coaches unless they shoot themselves in the foot (Tom Williams) or get asked to leave (Siedleck) despite being successful.

Having beaten Harvard once is Reno's only leg to stand on. He is also somewhat politically astute in carrying his baby step agenda forward while deflecting failures.

It will be interesting to see what the Yale AD does if Yale is not successful this upcoming season.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: --> Why is Reno still the coach?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:34:33 08/31/17 Thu

In defense of Reno he beat Army.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: --> Why is Reno still the coach?

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:41:41 09/01/17 Fri

That game was perhaps the best game Yale has played in a few years but the win wasn't Reno's doing unless he was calling plays. Tyler Varga had 185 yards on 28 carries, Morgan Roberts was 23 of 40 passing for 290 yards.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Tyler Varga: War Horse

Author:
Just a Pilgrim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:08:30 09/03/17 Sun

Varga was sublime that game. 5 TD's. The cadets themselves went on the field to congratulate him. Reno was a bystander.

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:56:04 08/13/17 Sun

If Yale has another season like last year's even beating Harvard again won't save Reno. In my book he needs to go at least 6-4 to keep his job.

Let's hope the defensive turnaround we saw against Harvard was the start of a new trend and not an aberration. If the defense plays all year like they did against Harvard I predict Yale will go 7-3, 5-2 this year. Could even be better if Rawling's development countinues to progress and the team stays healthy for a change.

In summation this will be a pivotal year for Reno and the Yale Football program. Six years is enough time to judge. It's time to start winning. No more excuses.

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:54:32 08/13/17 Sun

All the way to Reno, just when the true believers challenge the laws of chance

[> [> Subject: Re: How is Reno still the coach?

Author:
blue75
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:11:56 08/14/17 Mon

I am considerably more worried about Yale's offense who, for the past two years, have finished lower than the defense in the Ivy League standings. Last year they were rated last in the Ivy League!!! Looking forward to seeing two of our best defensive players, Tyler and Rymiszewski, back on the field.

[> [> [> Subject: Yale's Offense

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:51:07 08/14/17 Mon

Yale's offense was great in the red zone last year. Just need to get in the red zone more often and we'll be all set.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HEROSportsFCS/status/896823175450812416

Author:
Hawk196
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:34:34 08/14/17 Mon

I think the Oline will surprise many this year. LT & LG were true freshman last year and hopefully get better, and I think Rawlings will develop nicely, he is starting to play with more of his graduating class (new, mostly unproven blood)

[> [> Subject: Need to get rid of Beckett

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:11:53 08/14/17 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Need to get rid of Beckett

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:53:31 08/14/17 Mon

IWB touches on an important facet of the Reno debate, and that is that AD Beckett's tenure is fast coming to a close (he is north of 70). I think that a replacement would need to be decided on by Beckett's successor. Therefore, Reno may have more protection than we think. The one thing that he needs to protect against is a belly-flop in the Yale Bowl on November 18. Yale has a lot of returning talent this year, augmented by medical red-shirt of All-Ivy caliber. The hurdle that needs to be cleared is toughest out of conference schedule in the League, and two of first three Ivy games being on the road.

Here's wagering that the new AD will be a woman.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Need to get rid of Beckett

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:54:56 08/14/17 Mon

Meant to say "medical red shirts"

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Thomas Beckett

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:14:07 08/14/17 Mon

Extrapolating from the appointment of his 2nd five year term which the below article said started in January, 2008 Beckett's current term should expire in January 2018. Should he decide to retire at that point he will have ended an extremely successful tenure as Yale AD, perhaps the greatest tenure of any Yale AD ever.

The below article speaks of all his success up to 1998. Since then he has added: a national championship in hockey and men's heavy weight crew, the winningest season in Yale's long baseball history which included the most tournament wins since 1948, the first basketball tournament appearance since 1962 and the first tournament victory ever.

To me his greatest accomplishment was the successful scheduling of the game with Army to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Yale Bowl in 2014. A FCS school hosting any FBS team is a coup which may never be repeated again. Anyone who had the privilege to attend that game knows just how surreal it was.

I could keep rattling off impressive accomplishments for Mr. Beckett, but I don't want to write his biography. Suffice it to say, Yale is indebted to him for 24 years of exemplary service to Yale and the New Haven Community.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/07/12/nyregion/q-a-thomas-a-beckett-return-of-rah-rah-to-the-yale-campus.html

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Thomas Beckett

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:38:47 08/14/17 Mon

Correction, his 2nd 5 year term started in January 1998, not 2008.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Need to get rid of Beckett

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:34:26 08/14/17 Mon

Not likely to get rid of Beckett until he wants to go. Hockey, basketball, baseball, LAX, crew, and several minor sports have done very well the last few years.

At least the men's sports have.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Need to get rid of Beckett

Author:
Anonymous
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:39:52 08/31/17 Thu

FYI Beckett just announced his retirement at the end of this school year

[> Subject: They need 7-3

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:38:20 08/14/17 Mon

It would be a puzzler if they kept Reno on unless they win 7 and beat Harvard again. The real question is does the AD and hiring committee have it in them to find the right replacement staff. T

[> [> Subject: Let's hope Hines finally plays

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:20:17 08/14/17 Mon

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-yale-football-bo-hines-feature-0815-20170814-story.html

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Let's hope Hines finally plays

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:30:21 08/14/17 Mon

The fact that Bo Hines broke his left collarbone last year on the very first play of practice sums up Yale's 2016 snakebit season in a nutshell. Hopefully, luck will turn for both Mr Hines and the Yale football program this year.

[> [> Subject: heartwarming story

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:28:41 08/14/17 Mon

but no mention of his political ambitions, maybe Tony Romo has told him to downplay them. Whatever I hope the kid makes it on to the field so we can see if he really is a player. Since he missed last season and parts of others does that mean he will qualify as a Med Redshirt in his 6th? season of college football. Biggest question of course is whether Bo knows Didley

[> [> [> Subject: Re: heartwarming story

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:38:31 08/14/17 Mon

I believe he will need to withdrawal from school his 2nd semester this year in order to preserve his eligibility next year. My guess is if he can stay healthy all year and have a productive season he'll choose to play another season in 2018. He has plenty of time to run for congress, but his opportunity to play football is running out.

[> [> [> Subject: My understanding is

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:14:37 08/15/17 Tue

The Ivy will permit only one medical redshirt year, period.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: heartwarming story

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:43:07 08/15/17 Tue

There is hope for this generation. And despite all the noise, the ivies still attract this kind of person.

Author:
Handsome Dan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:24:04 08/30/17 Wed

W/L: 24-26
Yale deserves better
Prediction: 2017
3-7

[> [> Subject: Re: How is Reno still the coach?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:34:05 08/31/17 Thu

Yale may deserve better but Reno's performance is pretty much in line with Yale Football's overall record of 175-170-2 since the IAA down grade in 1982. I think it's factors other than whoever is the head coach that has caused Yale football to decend into mediocrity. Here are the main causes in order of impact in my opinion:

1) I AA downgrade, 1982
2) Academic Index, Circa 1982
3) Bart Giammatti's de-emphasize football speach, 1981

Yale football never recovered from these three simultaneous hits. All three to one degree or another were self inflicted.

[> Subject: Meanwhile

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:53:03 09/03/17 Sun

At Michigan, Defensive Coordinator Don Brown appears to have engineered a masterful restocking of defense severely depleted by graduations (?) and players going pro. Has anyone considered that he might be a good HC?

[> [> Subject: Re: Meanwhile

Author:
CU_88
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:49:09 09/03/17 Sun

Obviously he will not be coming back to I-AA anytime soon. Yale had the opportunity and lost it .

[> [> [> Subject: I know

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:40:43 09/03/17 Sun

I was not seriously suggesting he would come back, just lamenting.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Than you President Levin

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:27:30 09/03/17 Sun

We can blame President Levin for losing Don Brown as coach as he refused to sign off on the alumni salary booster component to his compensation package. This type of lack of instituonal support for the football program is a big part of Yale's problem. I do think that Salovey is much more friendlier to athletics than his predecessor, so there is hope.

Beckett had to go with Reno as Plan B. Reno had all the traits necessary to be a great coach, except experience. Now with 5 years head coaching experience under his belt and many returning seniors on defense this is the year he needs to produce.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.