VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: He stands

Author:
holtsledge
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:18:06 08/24/17 Thu
In reply to: al's wingman 's message, "Dalyn Williams a Free Agent" on 19:12:17 08/24/17 Thu

at least I hope so

Jim Brown thinks so as well

http://www.thepostgame.com/jim-brown-colin-kaepernick-activist-flag-anthem

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Dalyn Williams a Free Agent

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:48:12 08/24/17 Thu

I would have loved to have seen Dalyn make a pro roster, but like so many of these college spread QB's coming out, the NFL is a completely different game. That's why Carson Wentz from little North Dakota was a top pick playing out of a pro style offense and most of the others have been a bust. There are exceptions, but for the most part no huddle, no read, spread college offenses just don't work in the NFL.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Dalyn Williams a Free Agent

Author:
Big Green watcher
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:09:38 08/25/17 Fri

Dalyn Williams was released by the Bears in 2016. Great college player. Probably could have played in Canada if he wanted. Lost to Harvard every time, but was a clear difference maker.

[> [> [> Subject: Wasn't his fault

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:25:41 08/25/17 Fri

His sophomore year loss, Harvard was just better.

His junior year loss, Harvard poked him in the eye and he had to leave the game.

His senior year loss... you can blame that on Victor Williams and Ryder Stone coughing it up on crucial plays.

[> [> [> Subject: Can't believe I'm a year late on that one

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:46:00 08/25/17 Fri

I thought he was the Bears #3 in 2016.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dalyn Williams a Free Agent

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:48:49 08/25/17 Fri

The Williams drop haunts me to this day, Stone just got popped and tackler's head was on the ball. It was a great defensive play. I still haven't watched a replay of the game because it is still just too painful

[> [> [> Subject: and

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:41 08/25/17 Fri

ridiculously miraculous conversion of a 4th and forever by Harvard.

Thanks GG for brining it up now I will just think about it all day

[> [> [> [> Subject: Definitely a bad one

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:08:39 08/25/17 Fri

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory...

:(

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: I shouldn't be too hard on the kid

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:58:57 08/25/17 Fri

I am sure he is haunted more than anyone about the play. That had to be about the worst bus ride home anyone ever experienced. I hope he has moved on and has had a successful post college career in whatever profession he has chosen

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: A shame

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:52:32 08/25/17 Fri

Victor Williams had an excellent career for Dartmouth and gave us plenty of highlight material.

But yeah--like Bill Buckner and Jackie Smith, he may be remembered more for the play he muffed than the plays he made.

[> [> Subject: Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:38:31 08/28/17 Mon

DeShone Kizer just beat out several guys from traditional pro style offenses college programs to become the Browns' starting QB.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:26:38 08/28/17 Mon

Thanks. Did not see that one coming.

Wonder how Malik Zaire will perform at Florida.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:45:07 08/28/17 Mon

Actually given the alternatives, and the pressure on Hue Jackson to show results, I'm not surprised. Now, whether he performs once he faces real No. 1 defenses remains to be seen.

You have to wonder about Kelly's future at ND. I've never been a fan of his, he seems highly self-centered and quick to point a finger at others when his teams underperform relative to their talent, and he has chased off some good players. If Zaire pulls off the W versus UM this weekend,
it's not going to help Kelly's rep.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:06:19 08/30/17 Wed

So Zaire is not starting, and possibly not playing, this weekend.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Author:
Diogenes (Calvin)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:51:18 08/28/17 Mon

Agree with you regarding Kelly.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:57:19 08/28/17 Mon

Can't say I follow ND football closely but my impressions of Brian Kelly are that he is a humble, excellent coach. Maybe his emotions have frayed as things haven't aligned for him recently. This is a guy who stayed at Grand Valley State for 16 years (despite plenty of offers for higher prestige jobs) because by his own admission, he felt he still needed to learn. His work at Cincy speaks for itself. It's not an easy place to win.

I also recall ND playing in a championship game in 2013 losing to 'Bama.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Author:
Diogenes (al's wingman)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:54:36 08/28/17 Mon

Good points. Whenever I watch ND under Kelly, it seems as if the "chemistry" between Kelly and the players is a couple of clicks off. If that seems hopelessly subjective, I plead guilty. Just not enough of the right stuff at the right times. Maybe you are right and he's an excellent coach in a very public job who is doing his best with what he's got.

I do think that ND will not put up with more of what's been happening.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:58:01 08/28/17 Mon

Oh, he's gone unless ND finishes top 10 in a new year's bowl this year. Funny how things can turn sour. I recall some interview a few year's ago about coaching hot seats. The ND AD said Kelly was "on the coolest seat in the nation."

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:42:52 08/29/17 Tue

Regarding that cool seat, how many ex-coaches is ND still paying not to coach, three?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Author:
Diogenes (Calvin)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:09:19 08/29/17 Tue

Davie, Willingham and Weis are Kelly's three predecessors. Lou Holtz preceded them.

Kelly is the best coach since Holtz.

"Looking for Mr. Goodbar".

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: The landscape has changed

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:20:08 08/29/17 Tue

seems like the entire college football landscape has changed. Recruiting top talent used to be easy for ND just based on name. I'm not sure how true that is anymore with drawing the same level of interest from current generations. They still have plenty of talent to compete but it seems if your name isn't Saban or Meyer you are battling uphill.

Nebraska used to be a powerhouse just based on reputation. Now they are just ordinary.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: ...The landscape has changed

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:24:20 08/29/17 Tue

and before anyone mentions Clemson in the same breath as Bama and Ohio State, Deshaun Watson almost flipped to Ohio State out of HS.

So long as there is an "elite" top down culture in college football recruiting, ND has a long haul back to being a top team regardless of who is coaching them.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The landscape has changed

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:49:14 08/29/17 Tue

This is a little off-topic but it bears stating that Nebraska as a long-term powerhouse in college football is an amazing testament to Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne.

All the long-term powerhouses have some recruiting advantage. Most powerhouses derive from sitting on a geographical pipeline of high school talent: Texas, the Florida schools, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC and of course Notre Dame with its national reputation.

Conversely, Nebraska is literally and figuratively in the middle of nowhere. I submit that Nebraska thrived for a longer period of time further away from any natural pipeline of high school talent than any other college program ever.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Oregon and Chip Kelly?

Author:
Diogenes (An Observer)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:49:46 08/29/17 Tue

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Oregon and Chip Kelly?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:01:06 08/29/17 Tue

Dio, you know, in my original post, I was about to type that Oregon was on the path to the kind of achievement Nebraska had, but the Ducks still had to stay on top of the mountain for at least another two decades, if not three or four, to match the Huskers. I finally got lazy and never mentioned the Ducks.

But, yes, I agree with you that Oregon also must "import" all of its football talent and the recent run of success in Eugene is extremely impressive.

Great minds must think alike, or perhaps feeble ones.

In another thread, I mentioned watching a recent series on ESPN about P.J. Fleck. He's a guy heading places, that's for sure. I took note that he claims he and his wife had prepared a list of eight programs which he would be willing to leave Western Michigan to begin anew. He further claims that most of the eight were well known powers, but that he and his wife included Minnesota because he thought the Gophers were "a sleeping giant." I just think it's so so much harder to build a long-term winner in the Twin Cities, for the same reason it's so difficult to win in Eugene, Oregon.

The one big attraction to Minnesota is the weakness of the Big Ten Western division. You're really just going up against Wisconsin, Iowa and a much weakened Nebraska program for the right to be sixty minutes away from an upset win over Michigan, OSU or PSU in Indianapolis.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Oregon and Chip Kelly?

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:22:25 08/29/17 Tue

could not agree more about Tom Osborne and Devaney drawing top talent based on reputation and consistent results. Osborne's successor, Frank Solich, was fired after a 9-3 season! Not sure the full reasons why but the Huskers did start to slip ever so much against ranked teams and conference nemesis Oklahoma. Where they are today though is a good program and sometimes above average, nothing like their heyday.

As for the Oregon Ducks, they are to be commended for rising from the very bottom. Oregon and Kansas State were two of the worst programs ever in DI in fact and both are top 20 material now.

Chip had the benefit of taking over a very good program from Mike Belotti. But let's face it Oregon would be not have moved mountains and drew talent without Phil Knight's sponsorship. The school also apparently went too far and got dinged by the NCAA for recruiting violations.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Oregon and Chip Kelly?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:50:31 08/30/17 Wed

Not to take away Oregon's rise, but you may be confusing them with Oregon State when you put them in the "worst programs ever in DI" category.

Oregon has had weak years to be sure. But they've generally been better than their Civil War rivals.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: As explained...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:19:26 08/30/17 Wed

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/sports/college/oregon-state/2015/11/25/season-rank-among-worst-osu-history/76380830/

:)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Oregon and Chip Kelly?

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:16:16 08/30/17 Wed

That is true, Oregon State has fared worse than Oregon in football but not by much. Oregon was seen as a patsy for many years by their Pac10 opponents.

Too lazy to check W-L numbers but these programs have always stuck with me as historically bad. Some have changed things around.

Oregon
Oregon State
Kansas
Kansas State
New Mexico
New Mexico State

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.