VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Ivy Leaguers currently on NFL rosters - per BGA

Author:
Sprint66
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:53:56 08/28/17 Mon
In reply to: Observer 's message, "Ivy Leaguers currently on NFL rosters - per BGA" on 11:15:52 08/25/17 Fri

My statement has nothing to do regarding Cornell football's losing track record. There is no way Harvard has more NFL players than all the other full scholarship programs like Villanova, North Dakota, Montana, Youngstown State, James Madison etc. Just do the math given Ivy League rules regarding the academic index and no athletic scholarships. No way Tim Murphy is doing it without breaking or at least bending those rules.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Not Necessarily

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:44:25 08/28/17 Mon

I wouldn't be quite so quick to assume Murphy is breaking the rules.

Sure, it's reasonable to ask the question when one coach is getting so many more top tier recruits than the other seven.

But it's also possible that Murphy is simply doing a better job of recruiting Winning begets recruiting success which of course leads to more winning. Murphy's got a recruiting machine up and running, but there are benign explanations possible as well. To my knowledge, we don't know of any individual anecdotes where Murphy has broken any rules.

To me, the bigger take-away conclusion is that, for all his success with wins and losses, Murphy as a game day coach and strategist may actually be underperforming his talent advantage on the field.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Not Necessarily

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:38:27 08/28/17 Mon

It is POSSIBLE, you should admit, that Harvard sends more recruits to the NFL because:

(a) Murphy is a good recruiter and has experienced assistants who are also good recruiters;

(b) he clearly out-recruits Yale, which is always bragging in recent years about having the best recruiting classes; and

(c) he is a simply a good coach who prepares his players well for the Ivy League and beyond. All this is hard to admit, for many of you, I'm sure.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Not Necessarily

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:48:14 08/28/17 Mon

Isn't your response a paraphrase of what I said in my original post?

Why should I "admit" something that I've already proactively stated?

[> [> Subject: Since you ask for real math

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:58:22 08/28/17 Mon

We all get your emotional investment in Cornell and frustration with Harvard, but there's no reason to make exaggerated and fact-free accusations (there's enough to critique them on that we know about).

1) Most of those Harvard players listed are merely in training camp and will not make an NFL roster. As of today there are 5 Harvard players on an NFL roster who have actually played in the League (Brate, Easton, Fitz, Ott,
Juszczyk) and are likely to remain for this season.

2) North Dakota has many more players drafted or playing in the NFL than Harvard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_Dakota_State_Bison_in_the_NFL_Draft

3) Villanova has 5 NFL players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villanova_Wildcats_football#Wildcats_in_professional_football

4) There are 7 players from Montana. http://fftoolbox.scout.com/nfl_draft/profiles_by_team.cfm?school=Montana

5) In 2016, JMU had 5 NFLers (don't know about 2017). http://jmusports.com/news/2016/9/7/football-five-former-dukes-with-nfl-franchises-for-2016-season.aspx?path=football

Unless you are running for office, let's stick to facts, however inconvenient they may be (just to cite an old Harvard guy).

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.