VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Oregon and Chip Kelly?

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:01:06 08/29/17 Tue
In reply to: Diogenes 's message, "Oregon and Chip Kelly?" on 18:49:46 08/29/17 Tue

Dio, you know, in my original post, I was about to type that Oregon was on the path to the kind of achievement Nebraska had, but the Ducks still had to stay on top of the mountain for at least another two decades, if not three or four, to match the Huskers. I finally got lazy and never mentioned the Ducks.

But, yes, I agree with you that Oregon also must "import" all of its football talent and the recent run of success in Eugene is extremely impressive.

Great minds must think alike, or perhaps feeble ones.

In another thread, I mentioned watching a recent series on ESPN about P.J. Fleck. He's a guy heading places, that's for sure. I took note that he claims he and his wife had prepared a list of eight programs which he would be willing to leave Western Michigan to begin anew. He further claims that most of the eight were well known powers, but that he and his wife included Minnesota because he thought the Gophers were "a sleeping giant." I just think it's so so much harder to build a long-term winner in the Twin Cities, for the same reason it's so difficult to win in Eugene, Oregon.

The one big attraction to Minnesota is the weakness of the Big Ten Western division. You're really just going up against Wisconsin, Iowa and a much weakened Nebraska program for the right to be sixty minutes away from an upset win over Michigan, OSU or PSU in Indianapolis.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Oregon and Chip Kelly?

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:22:25 08/29/17 Tue

could not agree more about Tom Osborne and Devaney drawing top talent based on reputation and consistent results. Osborne's successor, Frank Solich, was fired after a 9-3 season! Not sure the full reasons why but the Huskers did start to slip ever so much against ranked teams and conference nemesis Oklahoma. Where they are today though is a good program and sometimes above average, nothing like their heyday.

As for the Oregon Ducks, they are to be commended for rising from the very bottom. Oregon and Kansas State were two of the worst programs ever in DI in fact and both are top 20 material now.

Chip had the benefit of taking over a very good program from Mike Belotti. But let's face it Oregon would be not have moved mountains and drew talent without Phil Knight's sponsorship. The school also apparently went too far and got dinged by the NCAA for recruiting violations.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Oregon and Chip Kelly?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:50:31 08/30/17 Wed

Not to take away Oregon's rise, but you may be confusing them with Oregon State when you put them in the "worst programs ever in DI" category.

Oregon has had weak years to be sure. But they've generally been better than their Civil War rivals.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: As explained...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:19:26 08/30/17 Wed

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/sports/college/oregon-state/2015/11/25/season-rank-among-worst-osu-history/76380830/

:)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Oregon and Chip Kelly?

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:16:16 08/30/17 Wed

That is true, Oregon State has fared worse than Oregon in football but not by much. Oregon was seen as a patsy for many years by their Pac10 opponents.

Too lazy to check W-L numbers but these programs have always stuck with me as historically bad. Some have changed things around.

Oregon
Oregon State
Kansas
Kansas State
New Mexico
New Mexico State

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.