VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Matchup predictions - 1st week

Author:
Sprint66
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:02:31 09/12/17 Tue
In reply to: Lion Rooter 's message, "Matchup predictions - 1st week" on 14:44:17 09/12/17 Tue

I agree with most of the picks. Obviously Delaware is a very tough game for Cornell, BUT at least we have the balls to play them. Unlike Harvard who dropped local rival Holy Cross and won't even consider playing UNH. I applaud teams like Princeton playing San Diego and Yale having played both Cal Poly and Army in recent years. This league needs to play OOC games that attracts fans. One game I would love to see this weekend is Holy Cross vs. UNH. That should be a good game.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Matchup predictions - 1st week

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:10:17 09/12/17 Tue

To take on a higher caliber program you need some playmakers. Harvard picked the right season to skip an OOC challenge since they need to discover what kind of team they have. Yale picked the right season to play Army with Morgan Roberts and Tyler Varga. Without them it would have been a cakewalk for Army.

Delaware is pretty tough. If Cornell can match them with points it would be something. It would be a shame if it ended up high scoring on both sides but the Hens win. The Big Red need a morale booster victory.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Matchup predictions - 1st week

Author:
Penn Nation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:04:50 09/12/17 Tue

No chance Cornell does anything against a Delaware team that played Virginia Tech surprising tough. They are huge on the OL and DL lines. This will be an easy Blue Hens win.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Matchup predictions - 1st week

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:57:12 09/12/17 Tue

I have admired the tough OOC schedule Penn has taken on over the years. But I don't get our first opponent this year. Ohio what? Maybe somebody can explain how this came about. I'm sure there's a story behind it.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Matchup predictions - 1st week

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:07:02 09/13/17 Wed

Jacksonville cancelled out their return game (which was supposed to be played in Philadelphia) at a very late date. Why I don't know, but it appears it wasn't to slot in a FBS big money opponent, which is the usual case.

Teams schedule years out and with just about every team other than Ivies having 11 or 12 opponents, there are not many options left when something like this happens.

It's actually not so terrible for Penn this year as we need to break in a new starting QB (the name of the new starter is not yet announced although Priore said that determination would likely have been made at the end of last weekend).

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Matchup predictions - 1st week

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:19:39 09/13/17 Wed

Thanks. Do I remember correctly that this is how a game with Duquessne came about a few years ago?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Matchup predictions - 1st week

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:18:51 09/13/17 Wed

Correct

I forget whether that happened as a result in something happening to disrupt the traditional Lehigh series or whether Nova bailed on us because of changes in league alignments etc or something else.

But the problem of back fill is much worse today. Duquesne would not even be an option today.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: IIRC

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:31:27 09/13/17 Wed

Penn jilted Lehigh to play game with St. Mary's.

Lehigh returned the favor the following year or year after.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: IIRC

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:52:13 09/13/17 Wed

Not sure what happened but I know it wasn't that. We played both Duquesne and Lehigh in 2003, the year we first added Duquesne.

There was something that happened between the two schools though that ultimately disrupted the Penn/Lehigh rivalry. I'm still not sure what happened, but it was the one OCC game we played that actually drew a crowd.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: IIRC

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:40:48 09/13/17 Wed

there were some pretty bad beat down in those years and that may have been a factor.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: IIRC

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:40:58 09/14/17 Thu

Not that it matters but what I heard (not what I know for sure) is that we had a hole in our schedule caused by Villanova which was caused because Nova was caught up in the midst of that ever shifting landscape that revolved around redefining a Big East Football Conference.

Bagnoli and Talley are very close friends and the series was ultimately restored when Nova's scheduling priorities readjusted.

In terms of Lehigh it was something else which I'm really not aware of. Perhaps it had to do with Andy Coen being hired away by Lehigh but I really don't know. The Penn/Lehigh game was a big draw relatively speaking and I'm glad they are back on the schedule.

[> [> Subject: Sprint, you may be confusing

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:34:46 09/13/17 Wed

San Diego with San Diego State.

San Diego is a PFL team who is not particularly daunting. At best, they're an ok team (currently at 203 in Sagarin). But certainly not worthy of applause.

[> [> [> Subject: There he goes again

Author:
Tad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:03:30 09/13/17 Wed

Nice try GG... denigrate P's opponent before the game is played in order to lessen the value of a victory or exacerbate the ignominy of a defeat.

May not be San Diego State, but they did run the table on their conference on the way to a first round victory over Cal Poly before losing to North Dakota.

I'm not going to look past them.

[> [> [> [> Subject: There's daylight between "applause" and "denigration"

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:29:26 09/13/17 Wed

San Diego isn't the worst opponent the Ivy is going to face this season. But that's a far cry from being impressed with them.

Put another way, San Diego is the type of opponent who would be the strongest team on Harvard's slate. Is that really saying much?

[> [> [> [> Subject: As they say

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:53:17 09/13/17 Wed

It's what he does, with PU. Awfully mouthy considering Dartmouth's opponent. Just look at the respective odds posted by bulldog.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Feel free to defend Sprint's comment

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:03:07 09/13/17 Wed

"Unlike Harvard who dropped local rival Holy Cross and won't even consider playing UNH, I applaud teams like Princeton playing San Diego and Yale having played both Cal Poly and Army in recent years."

Please explain why you agree with Sprint that San Diego is an example of the Ivy's aspiration for challenging OOC teams.

I'm listening.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: That's the problem

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:14:10 09/13/17 Wed

You never do.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Jim Harbaugh Coached San Diego

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:14:03 09/13/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: George Seifert Coached Cornell

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:38:27 09/13/17 Wed

And both interesting historical tidbits carry about the same weight today.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Harvard has not given up Holy Cross

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:25:05 09/15/17 Fri

They have played them scores of times - their leading non-ivy opponent. They play again in 2018 and 2020, as far as I know.

[> [> Subject: Re: Matchup predictions - 1st week

Author:
CornellFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:11:44 09/14/17 Thu

Saw Cornell's two-deep roster. Some names missing on the defense, e.g., Norris, Scullen. Any word?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Matchup predictions - 1st week

Author:
Hotspur
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:54:42 09/14/17 Thu

Norris injured weeks ago. Out for good.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.