VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: The top defensive unit in the Ivy League...

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:39:17 09/13/17 Wed

...will be Dartmouth's defensive front. A first to worst to first will be the first of its kind in the Ivy League. And you heard it here first.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: The top defensive unit in the Ivy League...

Author:
Diogenes (Jack Hatfield)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:25:42 09/13/17 Wed

Jack,

I hope you're right. I fear you're wrong.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: On paper, the defense looks great

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:33:23 09/13/17 Wed

Assuming health, its hard to see any weak spots in Dartmouth's defense.

Hopefully they play up to their potential.

[> [> [> Subject: Repeat (yet again) after me:

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:29:23 09/30/17 Sat

...Dartmouth has the best defensive line (and overall defense) in the Ivy League. Its offense is more than capable. Yale, welcome to The Woods and enjoy the foliage next week on your long ride home from Hanover after your upcoming beat-down. I'm still waiting for all the expert prognosticators (on this forum and elsewhere) to admit they were wrong about Dartmouth. Jake, let the mea culpas start with you. Dio, the fatted calf will be slayed when you admit your early season worries were ill-founded.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Repeat (yet again) after me:

Author:
Diogenes (Jack Hatfield)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:55:30 09/30/17 Sat

Jack,

Excellent wins against HC and Penn. Gritty, gutty, never say die.

Keep feeding the calf.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: A 3rd consecutive vaunted offensive opponent of Dartmouth...

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:25:39 10/08/17 Sun

...wishes to remain in bed on Sunday morning, with the cover pulled over its collective head. You've just got an especially viral form of Big Green Fever. You should feel better in a couple days after you've had a chance to re-read your old press clippings.

The Woods ARE lovely, dark and deep, but don't let that keep you from visiting our lovely, income tax-free state when you're feeling up to it.

Cheers!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Jake, you are a mensch among men....

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:06:37 10/03/17 Tue

...for divining in your crystal ball this week what Yale QB Rawlings will be divining from the seats of his pants on Memorial Field this Saturday: Dartmouth's D-line is the best defensive unit in the Ivy League and Dartmouth has the best overall defense as well.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jake, you are a mensch among men....

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:17:18 10/03/17 Tue

This Dartmouth D reminds me of their top Defense 2 years ago. shut down corners with LBers that are tackling machines and a Dline that is dominant and deep

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Dartmouth’s own Robert Frost....

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:48:02 10/04/17 Wed

...(“Bobby” to his Brothers in Theta Delta Chi) was prescient on the matters at hand this weekend: “The Woods are lovely, dark and deep...”

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Jack the way your talking

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:16:39 10/04/17 Wed

Make it sound like a line from the movie Delivernace .?!!
Q the banjo's ..!! LMAO

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Jake thinks we will win...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:56:42 10/05/17 Thu

But he thinks it will be close.

While I'd prefer that we blow Yale away, it's hard to argue with Jake's take (and yeah--I'll be happy if its comes true!).

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jake thinks we will win...yup take that to the bank

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:24:18 10/05/17 Thu

2-5 last week,I'm glad he's picking Dartmouth also.!!!

[> [> Subject: Re: The top defensive unit in the Ivy League...

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:43:36 10/08/17 Sun

Dartmouth D showed up in 2nd half and stopped the best Ivy offense second week in a row

[> Subject: I am bullish

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:22:34 09/13/17 Wed

on the DL with 3 guys returning that played a total of 1 down last year led by the fearless and maybe best the DT in the league "Stonewall" Jackson Perry who as a Freshman was in on the goal line stand at Harvard 2 yrs ago

the LB's are good although we will miss Flo

Real strong on the back end with a lot of depth

[> [> Subject: And furthermore.....

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:58:53 09/13/17 Wed

....expect Dartmouth's backline to lead the League in interceptions with the havoc being wrought up front.

[> Subject: I realize it was Stetson, but...

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:29:36 09/16/17 Sat

...Dartmouth's defense held them to MINUS-3 yards rushing for the entire game. The "Jackson 5" (Jackson Perry, wearing #5) had 3.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks -- in the first quarter alone. The predicted havoc up front resulted Dartmouth's first (but far from last) pick 6. Holy Cross in Hanover next week will be interesting...

[> [> Subject: Re: I realize it was Stetson, but...

Author:
Boola Boola
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:37:45 09/16/17 Sat

I realize it was Stetson....says it all.

[> [> [> Subject: I was being polite toward Stetson....

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:12:59 09/16/17 Sat

...I'll be the same way on Oct 7 toward Yale.

;)

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:50:19 09/16/17 Sat

The broadcast announcer mentioned Stetson does not have scholarships. So that would explain the smaller players that look like 4th stringers elsewhere. It is ok to be a scrappy team but they need to figure out if going winless is worth it.

[> [> Subject: They beat Brown last year

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:36:46 09/17/17 Sun

Just saying.

:)

[> [> Subject: And they beat Brown this year

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:33:35 10/08/17 Sun

So let's stop characterizing them as a D-III's JV team.

[> Subject: Dartmouth Defense

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:49:54 09/18/17 Mon

Ranked #1 against the run
Ranked #2 against the pass
Ranked #2 in total defense.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22

If those rankings are remotely close after this coming Saturday, I'll be impressed.

:)

Author:
Penn Pop
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:38:44 09/20/17 Wed

OK, so I admit I'm biased but Penn has to have the best defense in the Ivy league with all their returning starters and all Ivy players. I know they gave up 24 points last Saturday against a D2 team but I expect that to turn around quickly and the defense will dominate going forward.

[> [> Subject: Re: The top defensive unit in the Ivy League...

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:32:48 09/20/17 Wed

Penn plays a bend don't break defense that was very opportunistic last year. We played a ton of kids last week so I'm not sure how relevant the OD stats are. We didn't occupy much clock in the 1st half and we gave them a garbage TD near the end of the game when it was effectively over. Still - no INTs and that was a key to our success on defense last year. We'll know more after Saturday.

Speaking of defenses, I watched a little of the replay of the Yale/Lehigh game on the PLN channel. Lehigh left receivers 15 yards open on a couple of those early Yale TDs. It was kind of shocking for me to see that from a Lehigh team.

[> [> [> Subject: Repeat after me...

Author:
Jack Hatfield (NexTitle19)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:28:14 09/23/17 Sat

...Dartmouth has the best defensive line (and overall defense) in the Ivy League.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Repeat after me...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:30:27 09/24/17 Sun

Holding Holy Cross to 20 in regulation is impressive. If we play like that in league, we should be in a position to win games.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Repeat after me...

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:49:15 09/24/17 Sun

after last nights thrilling last second victory watching Giants go down on a rookie 61 yrd FG almost spoils it, almost but not quite (no way)

Most exciting game I have witnessed in at least 10 yrs in Hanover

Tell Jake that he better rank Dartmouth over both C and B in this weeks poll and maybe move us into a 3 way tie with Tony Romo's team along with the Tigers bc H has one loss and we don't and Penn has played 2 patsies.

Penn Dartmouth Game is the best Ivy Game next weekend once again it will be a test Contender or Pretender

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Repeat after me...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:52:15 09/25/17 Mon

Don't want to speak for Jake, but if he lists Dartmouth in the bottom half again in his power rankings this week, all he has to do is say "2016" to justify himself.

If we win Friday night, he will have no choice but to put us at (or at least near) the top.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Jake moved us to #5

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:44:57 09/27/17 Wed

Dartmouth still not getting a lot of respect. Maybe he doesn't think much of Holy Cross...

My gut is that if we win on Friday night, we start showing up in the polls and near the top of the Power Rankings.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Repeat after me...

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:38:25 09/25/17 Mon

I gotta say Tony Romo is doing a pretty good job.

When Phil Simms was pushed aside in favor of Romo, I thought that it was a desperation move by CBS to juice ratings with a younger, more charismatic personality. It still probably is exactly that but, to my surprise, Romo is a fine color commentator.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Repeat after me...

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:26:11 09/25/17 Mon

He's a little manic and sometimed in presentation style, but he's dead on in his analyses and timing of predictions. Much more accurate than the usual color guy.

[> [> Subject: Penn's we-gave-up-47-points-on-defense last week...

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:59:11 09/27/17 Wed

...and whoever it's QB is this week will learn what Holy Cross QB Poo-yawls learned last week (Poo-yawls was scrambling all night and was hit 18 times): Dartmouth's defense is tops in the Ivy League. It's offense is very capable. Many of you have only 2 days left to jump on the bandwagon and demonstrate you understand how football works.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Penn's we-gave-up-47-points-on-defense last week...

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:05:51 09/27/17 Wed

Agree with JH that Dartmouth D seems strong. However, if I'm a betting man, I say that Big Green played a tough game on Saturday night, and must board buses on Thursday for an away game on Friday night against one of the two consistent powers in the League. I also tell myself that Buddy has been shown to be a poor on-field, real-time coach in big games. Putting all that together, I figure the game is even and there's going to be a three point advantage for the home team.

In any event, it should be a great game, dwarfing all others on the upcoming weekend schedule in its significance.

[> [> [> Subject: interesting analyses

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:55:45 09/27/17 Wed

Can't disagree with your theory, however we are pretty deep on DL,they can rotate up to 3 lines so fatigue shouldn't be a factor. I would like to see a little more consistent play from the LB's. Secondary is strong and will need to be against "Elementary My Dear" Watson and his group. I think the key to the game is stopping their RB Brooks and a little more time consuming drives by our offense. All in all maybe we can block another FG and take away the home teams 3 pt advantage, although the lines have Penn listed between 6 and 11 pt favs.

On another issue has anyone noticed that the teams (started last yr at Dartmouth) are being kept in the locker room while the Anthem is played eliminating any chance for protests

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: interesting analyses

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:04:31 09/27/17 Wed

We were always in the locker room in my day. I think once we got out early for the 1991 finale against Princeton, but that was some sort of screw-up and not planned.

I was told that NCAA teams started staying the locker room in the 1960s to avoid similar issues that are going on right now. But I've since learned that NCAA teams were in the locker rooms even before then.

If the team ever started coming out on the field regularly prior to the anthem since the early 1990s, I'm not sure when that started.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: interesting analyses

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:08:43 09/27/17 Wed

Can't find any video at all of the HC-Dartmouth game, sounds like it was a barnburner.

Great stats Jack. I would like to see Dartmouth shut down Penn but I think Penn's D is equally as good. Giving up 47 points does not look good on paper but I have to believe Lehigh's offense is on par. Based on what I can tell from what video I have found, their D is the problem.

I would also like to see a reason to reverse my opinion of Dartmouth's QB play as being inconsistent. With a great QB they could compete for a championship. They have the skill players but their QB has to demonstrate he is at the same level.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: If you have an Ivy League Network package...

Author:
Jack Hatfield (To al's wingman)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:38:47 09/27/17 Wed

...that includes Dartmouth, you can go into Dartmouth's archived games option to watch the Holy Cross game in its glorious entirety. ;)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: If you have an Ivy League Network package...

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:16:04 09/27/17 Wed

I didn't subscribe to the ILN this year. I have a bunch of other subscriptions.

I was hoping at least for a highlight clip from the athletic department. Same with the Yale and Harvard games.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Here's a 4 minute highlight clip...

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:09:39 09/27/17 Wed

...of the Holy Cross v Dartmouth game:

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=211669343

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: interesting analyses

Author:
O&B
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:22:50 09/27/17 Wed

You should be able to watch the game on the Patriot League Network.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: in locker room during pregames

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:16:49 09/27/17 Wed

Most schools have the teams in the locker room during pre-game.
That has been going on for years.
Pre-games usually includes recognition of teams and alumni, bands, sportsmanship lecture, late arrive-rs etc. Teams are doing last minute preparations.

let's not hang any "kneeling" locker room conspiracy on the coaches, schools, or teams .... plenty of blog trolls are already doing that on other sites.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.