VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: I repeat

Author:
Calvin
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:33:26 11/17/17 Fri
In reply to: mrjames 's message, "Re: C'mon, man" on 13:20:20 11/17/17 Fri

Why is it so hard to say - when making a claim - that you are basing it on xxxxx, so people can assess for themselves whether you know wtf you are talking about?

People cite links here (or are asked to) all the time.

Rather than, in the current political vernacular, say "Believe me."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: I repeat

Author:
mrjames
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:15:11 11/17/17 Fri

https://twitter.com/ivybball

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Some Free Advice For The Younger Generation, Possibly Including mrjames

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:35:33 11/19/17 Sun

A thrilling, competitive football season is over and now we turn our attention to hoops.

Most of the regular posters on this board are probably older than the millennial generation. On behalf of the senior generation, let me offer this unsolicited advice to some of our younger members, possibly including mrjames.

Based upon your comments over the years and especially your most recent posts in this thread, I think I've got a pretty read on your personal history. How much of the following description is on target?

You were the smartest kid in your elementary school, your middle school and your high school. You graduated from high school literally not knowing what it felt like NOT to be the smartest kid in the classroom.

But you were skinny and not particularly blessed with hand-eye coordination, so you were not a member of the stereotypical "in crowd" in high school. You did not have a date for your high school prom and may not have attended at all.

At your elite college, you found your niche in an activity like writing about the sports you personally did not play for the school newspaper. The school basketball team was not very good so your writing, while good, did not get that much attention.

But two things have happened in the last decade which have changed the arc of your life. One is that your college basketball team unexpectedly became very good, so that it recaptured your attention and interest. Second, the internet and social media arrived on the scene, allowing you to reach a worldwide audience which, like most fan bases, is insatiable in its appetite for information and statistical analysis.

Socially, your life did not change that much. You were never a big hit with the ladies and you married the first woman who let you get to second base with her.

But all of a sudden, because of your reach to a rabid worldwide sports fan base, you feel like a new man. You've never had this kind of audience for your writing and your analysis. For the first time in your life, you feel like a big deal. A really big deal. You walk taller than you ever have in your life.

How accurate was I in this description? Did I get the details right?

Here's the unsolicited advice from the senior generation to the younger generation: Don't be an entitled, arrogant jerk. Don't assume that because a person does not follow you on twitter, they are not smart or uninformed.

You may have been the smartest kid in class your entire life, but a lot of the members of this message board were as well. And a lot of them were great athletes as well. Many of them have had very accomplished professional careers. A lot of that success came from having good social skills more than pure analytical skill.

Long term in life, having a good mind for numbers and rigorous thinking will take you far, but being a snarky jerk will always hold you back from your full potential.

In thirty years, you'll thank me for this advice.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Some Free Advice For The Younger Generation, Possibly Including mrjames

Author:
observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:13:32 11/19/17 Sun

oh, and Mike, get off his lawn.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Some Free Advice For The Younger Generation, Possibly Including mrjames

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:39:05 11/19/17 Sun

Unfortunately, thank you notes are so passe these days.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:06:37 11/20/17 Mon

"You married the first woman who let you get to second base with her."

According to a recent survey of my Ivy class well after graduation, 9.9% of respondents have slept with only one partner in their entire lives. Two people claim to still be virgins.

Another 10% of classmates say that they've had more than 50 partners in their lives. That's what you call a bimodal distribution.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Good thing Wilt Chamberlain wasn't part of your class

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:51:54 11/21/17 Tue

He would have thrown off the whole curve in the survey.

:)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Good thing Wilt Chamberlain wasn't part of your class

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:42:43 11/21/17 Tue

Maybe, maybe not.

4.9% of the class said that they had slept with over 100 people in their lives. So 5.1% responded from 50-100 and 4.9% claimed >100.

That's an incredibly fat right-hand tail on the distribution curve. Especially when so many people are bunched up on the left-hand tail, with all the guys who might have married the first girl who let them get to second base and of course the two virgins. The median response was only seven.

Extrapolating from the fat right-hand tail, somewhere in the class, there could conceivably be the Ivy Wilt.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Good thing Wilt Chamberlain wasn't part of your class

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:16:42 11/21/17 Tue

It is some tail, no doubt.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Harvard Humility on This Subject, Maybe Not On My Part

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:04:08 12/17/17 Sun

One of the most wry -- and best delivered -- lines came from a close Harvard friend (is there any other type?) on this very subject.

During a particularly happy stretch in my previous bachelor life, I remarked to him that, in the previous calendar week, I had slept with six women. We were both adjusting to our newfound middle aged status at the time.

The mark of a great line is often delivery more than content. Without missing a beat or changing his expression in the slightest, he replied in pure deadpan fashion, "I don't even know if I could do that."

Does this story rise to the definition of gratuitous bragging if it's told on an anonymous message board?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: A Wharton Offering

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:30:43 12/27/17 Wed

As long as I'm telling stories about Ivy alumni and their funny nonchalant quips, here's a recent offering from a good friend who graduated from Wharton. He's the CEO of a big multinational corporation. When the whole Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo phenomenon swept over popular culture, I made a joke and then asked him semi-seriously whether he'd ever had a problem, given his position. Without changing his expression in the slightest, he replied in deadpan fashion, "I'm clean. I barely do my wife."

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: A Wharton Offering From A Guy Who's Worth >$100 Million

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:23:13 04/14/18 Sat

Here are a couple of thought-provoking experiences I recently had.

I've been spending a lot of time lately with my friend who graduated from Wharton. Every time that we get together, he mentions that he's rich. Now, this is notable for two reasons. Number one, nobody should be mentioning that they are rich. That's simply bad form, although maybe it's a Wharton thing, as our current president does the same. Number two, it's self-evident that he's rich. He's now the CEO of his second large multinational corporation. Of course he's rich.

Yet he still mentions it every time we're together, as if I might have forgotten from the previous visit. Lately, he's made it evident in a none too subtle fashion that, by "rich," he means a number comfortably north of $100 million. Other than the topic of money, he's a completely humble, well-adjusted guy whom I'm very happy to know and like.

In a completely unrelated incident, I was recently at a gathering of about a dozen male friends, all of whom I've known for decades. One guy nonchalantly mentioned to me that, "I thought that once I was worth more than $100 million, I might lose some interest in working, but I'm still very motivated."

At first, I silently recoiled in horror, thinking "When did it become okay to drop into conversation one's net worth, especially when it's a big number?"

I've been thinking a lot about these conversations. Upon more reflection, these two alarming incidents with friends of mine may be reflective of our status as middle-aged men. We're all close enough to the ends of our careers that we can see it over the horizon. Our bodies are changing and not for the better.

We're somewhere in the transition process from energetic, sexually vibrant men into the long slow decline into something new and different. And really, for the first time in our lives, we know it.

I now think that my two friends aren't trying to tell *ME* that they're successful, they're trying to remind *THEMSELVES* that they've had a good run. To use the language of Winston Churchill, we're transitioning from the end of the beginning to the beginning of the end and it's not an easy transition.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.