VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: CU Basketball

Author:
cad yellow
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:18:25 12/03/17 Sun

Tough loss for CU against Albany. Seems like CU is having hard time early in the season to close out games. They blew a 15 point lead again UConn late in game. Hopefully this will turnaround. Looks like there are some talented freshmen on the floor, including Fauld who did well with 17 against Albany. Smith is the real deal at point guard. Difficult to know if there are enough players who can put together a strong season or not. Any thoughts?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: CU Basketball

Author:
Old Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:47:06 12/04/17 Mon

Young team, Castlin out, very tough to play first seven games on the road, very ambitious schedule. Pluses: competitive in every game, Meisner has really come on in all aspects of his game, Smith has come around and was fantastic against Albany, and,the first years are really good, especially Faulds, Stefanini and Bibbs. Negatives: very passive in game coaching, missed opportunity to upset major D1 schools by not being able to close out games, fall off in play of Hickman, continuing frustration with failure of Tape to harness his potential. If we get Castlin back before Ivy play we can be a good team. Meisner especially is going to be a very tough match up.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: CU Basketball

Author:
cad yellow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:20:00 12/04/17 Mon

Many thanks for the response. Very informative. I missed that Castlin is out.
Can't figure out Tape. He never shoots as far as I can see. I like Stefananini on the boards with Bibbs and Meisner and Faulds. CU seems to have height. It would be a shame to waste another year with someone like Smith who seems like he could be first team All ivy. Just curious: what are you referring to specifically with Engle's coaching? It is early of course, but so far I am missing the previous coach who seemed to be better, but of course there were also many games that we lost a few years ago in the last few minutes, too.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: CU Basketball

Author:
Old Lion (puzzle)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:34:17 12/04/17 Mon

Engles is very uncommunicative as far as I can tell. He shows no emotion on the bench, doesn't call many time outs, especially in crunch time, and doesn't seem to call out plays. He is the exact opposite of Smith, who wa a very active game time coach.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: CU Basketball

Author:
Dr.V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:12:04 12/04/17 Mon

Different coaches have different styles and approaches to in game behavior. For example, John Wooden did little talking and no yelling or screaming during a game. Engles and the coaches are plenty communicative during practices.

Author:
cadyellow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:21:37 12/13/17 Wed

After another close loss to Navy, can't figure out why Engles doesn't call more time outs down the stretch. He rarely does this. I question Engles's judgment but then again he had great success with NJIT and knocked off 19th ranking Michigan not long ago.

Author:
Louise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:48:58 12/04/17 Mon

However well Smith played in the second half, he was as poor in the first.

Author:
Roar Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:19:04 12/04/17 Mon

Old Lion is right that it's early and the schedule has been tough, but it's hard to win when your PG is a high volume 30% shooter. Against UConn, we had the ball with 20 seconds left and a chance to win the game. Smith did his best Carmelo impersonation, holding the ball until five seconds left and then launching a long three. No attempt at penetration or running a play. No timeout, either. They're very young and Castlin has been out. Faulds and other freshmen look promising. But the PG, who has great ability, has to make better decisions.

Author:
The Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:37:01 12/04/17 Mon

Then the coach must communicate better, either
right then or the day before in practice. Or try mentall telepathy.

Author:
Ivy Voyeur
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:28:09 12/04/17 Mon

The coach can put his team in position to win, which Engels has done. It's up to the players on the floor to make the plays. They haven't done enough of that, yet. But as people have said, they are young, faced the toughest early schedule in the league, and appear to be improving. If their defense comes together, they can make some noise in the league.

Author:
cad yellow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:05:46 12/04/17 Mon

Not sure what to make of another CU loss in the final seconds. This time to Quinnipiac. More signs of hope came in Tape's performance and continued strong play from Faulds, but CU defense made Q's point guards look like NBA stars, draining 3's right and left.

Author:
louise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:50:22 12/05/17 Tue

Despite the loss to a team they should've beaten, there were many positives: Faulds, Smith, Tape, and Adlish. Good to see Tape, Faulds become assertive...and effective.

Q's 3-point production was exceptional, of course.

But, the Lions' D just has to be tighter, especially when opponents start bombing threes.

Author:
cadyellow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:41:06 12/05/17 Tue

Yes, I agree. It continues to impress me how many college players have such exceptional shooting range. If your defense is weak that, of course, helps, but nevertheless, it is impressive.

Author:
Old Lion (close losses)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:50:54 12/05/17 Tue

We seem to have an uncanny tendency to lose winnable games in the last two minutes of play, or less, no matter how good or bad the competition. We also seem incapable of defending the three point shot. We really need to get Castlin back. With Castlin, Meisner, Faulds and Smith we should be OK once league play begins so long as we learn how to play some defense. Among the other contributors I am looking to Stefanini, Bibbs and Adlesh. I think that Killingsworth can help when he gets back. I have been underwhelmed by Hunter and Hickman.

Author:
Old Lion (Tape)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:53:44 12/05/17 Tue

I omitted Patrick Tape, who is vastly improved and freakishly athletic for somebody 6'10".

Author:
cadyellow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:18:18 12/05/17 Tue

Can't quite figure out why Hickman is not doing much. I thought he would be hitting his stride by now. I think he almost scored 30 points one game not long ago.

Author:
Ivy Voyeur
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:26:52 12/05/17 Tue

Hickman's issue is consistency. Sometimes he looks like a world-beater and other times he makes a bad play that looks like he just doesn't belong. Mostly he's pretty good, though.

Author:
cadyellow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:08:16 12/05/17 Tue

I double checked. Hickman scored 30 against Army last season

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.