VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Brown early decision commits

Author:
Right to Bear Arms
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:18:12 12/08/17 Fri

Does anyone have a list of these players? I was just wondering what the recruiting class looks like for next year. I know of 1 player that already has his likely letter. His name is Will Eveld. Check him out on hudl.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Brown early decision commits

Author:
BrownFan1
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:57:43 12/09/17 Sat

Don’t expect much, Estes track record over the last few years has driven any talent away from Bruno.

He will most likely recruit half of his class out of the Brown summer football camp that will have all the leftovers from the other Ivy’s (that requires no coaches travel and certainly is easy pickings to fill a roster), all his friends and family in Mass and CT will throw 3-4 kids his way, you have to have the proverbial Rhode Island kid from a Prep School where daddy is coughing up a few checks to the Brown Sports Foundation earmarked for Football, and then you will get some kids from those high school hotbeds like Maine, New York, and Vermont.

The net-net, we will see another <3 win season because Estes is a joke!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Brown early decision commits

Author:
Yale OL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:19:00 12/10/17 Sun

Who are his family/friends in Connecticut that supplies him with players?

Author:
Acob (Brown Fan)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:28:04 12/10/17 Sun

Your vindictive commentary is undeserved. Estes and his staff are now and have been on the road in multiple areas. They are talking to some damn good players. They have some quality commits. You might recognize to your benefit the number of all Ivy players who came from the Brown camp.
Perhaps Estes should be less secretive about commits. Regardless, the lousy year is not doomsday. See the Yale comments on this forum about Reno only a short time ago. Brown will be a better team next year.
Arguably, Estes might make some staff shifts or changes but maturity on the player roster and a QB development would be an igniter.

Author:
BrownFan1 (Acob)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:32:17 12/10/17 Sun

You are such a homer for Estes. Estes is pathetic!

Go back in your hole and dwell there with the rest of the Estes lovers that have allowed, without honest critique, their ‘boy’ to run this once proud program into the ground!

Author:
IvyFan35
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:04:29 12/10/17 Sun

You make some very good points but this is done at every ivy programs. family money plays a role, they love northeast private school kids, and they love their summer camps which are easy checks. The talent level in the ivy is increasing IN SPITE of their strange recruiting practices, NOT because of them.

Author:
Brown Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:17:50 12/10/17 Sun

Acob,

I agree with you about the nature of the comments of (unfortunately named) BrownFan1. His commentary is Trumpian in its depth and truthfulness. I have no problem with factual debate about the program, but that's not what BrownFan1 offers.

Author:
Grin and Bear it
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:07:42 12/10/17 Sun

As much as anyone I have been critical of Estes, but I don't agree with BrownFan 1's assessment. Brown's decline had been in the works for at least five years. What caused it? Well Mrs Simmons policies certainly didn't help, but the bigger issue was that the rest of the league was on the move while Brown was stagnant. There were no longer likely victories over the likes of Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, and now Cornell and Columbia. Everyone got better and Brown stayed the same. Consequently Brown dropped to the bottom. I fault Estes in not being alert to the changes and doing something about it. I also question his assessment of the changes that were taking place. For example, he thought he had a "great" team this year. How bad were they? With the exception of some Columbia teams, they might have been the worse ivy team in this century. That is not hyperbole. What was even worse, they caught the losing bug. I saw this in the 1960s. No matter what they did right, it soon turned wrong, i.e. penalties, dropped passes, fumbles, etc. All in all, it was the worse team Brown had put out in at least 25 years. And yes, that does fall on Estes. For Brown to be competitive, they have to do what Reno did at Yale and even more, scour the nation for players who are difference makers and then get them to commit. Coaches McNeil and Behn have done it and the results speak for themselves.

[> [> [> Subject: Probably won't make you feel better, but...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:58:23 12/12/17 Tue

I'd say that last year's Brown team was about as bad as the 2008 0-10 Dartmouth team.

That Dartmouth team played a challenging OOC schedule (Colgate, Holy Cross, and UNH when all were strong teams). But we had only one "close" Ivy contest, an 8 point loss to Columbia.

While 2017 Brown would have beaten the woebegone winless Columbia teams, I'd say 2017 Brown v. 2008 Dartmouth would be a toss up.

Author:
BrownFan1 (Brown Fan)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:46:10 12/10/17 Sun

Thanks!
I guess that makes you “Fake News!”

Author:
BrownFan1 (Brown Fan)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:44:11 12/10/17 Sun

Thanks!
I guess that makes you “Fake News!”

Author:
Sr Punter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:14:18 12/10/17 Sun

G & B, you have made the same post over and over.

Author:
Grin and Bear it (Sr Punter)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:14:26 12/10/17 Sun

That is because I can't seem to get through to you.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Brown early decision commits

Author:
Acob (Simmons)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:14:50 12/11/17 Mon

The Simmons effort to diminish Brown athletics was enormous- But for the fierce response and dedication of the ever true Wrestling alums she might have succeeded . As it was she diminished Athletics so significantly it is only now there is some notable improvement.
Football raises broad questions. There needs to be a focused review turned into action from all aspects including staffing, admissions and recruiting.
Hayes must implement and make the calls that will provide for no compromise getting the job done including reaching understanding with and about coaches and the need to recruit defined winners. This is doable.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Brown early decision commits

Author:
Grin and Bear it (ACOB)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:42:51 12/11/17 Mon

I agree 100% with what you said. We need a plan to follow to get back on track. Hopefully they are working on one now.

Author:
Sr Punter (G & B)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:22:45 12/11/17 Mon

I understand your view and respect your right to express it. I have even agreed with some of your observations. I too believe there a number of problems with Brown athletics and with Football in particular that need to be (and hopefully are being) addressed. I believe Hayes and Estes are capable of addressing them but they will need institutional and, perhaps, league assistance to be successful. I don't think replacing Estes would solve all, or any, of the problems, as you seem to believe. If you are "having difficulty getting thru to me" I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Author:
Grin and Bear it (Sr. Punter)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:07:30 12/11/17 Mon

Spoken like a true gentleman. I know you love Brown and Brown football. I have no idea how old you are but I am old enough to have gone through the horrible period of the 1960s when Brown was far and away the worst team in the league. Their miserable record during those years was not fair to anyone, the alumni, the fans, the university's reputation, and most of all to the players. On the other hand, Dartmouth a great school in NH, but appreciably smaller than Brown, took a much different approach. They set out to dominate football and for the most part they succeeded. How was Dartmouth rewarded? Well for one thing, they were able to create a sense of pride that is alive and well to this day. In addition, with considerably less alums, they have a larger endowment than Brown. In other words, when alumni are proud of their alma mater they are much more inclined to open their wallets. Many years ago the president of Boston College was brought before the faculty to explain why the football coach was being paid $500,000 when professors were topping out at $100,000. The wise man's reply, "When you bring in $10,000,000 in donations, I will up your pay to $500,000". He then turned and walked away. True story. To make another reference, past Brown president Vartan Gregorian once commented that "whatever we do, we must do with excellence". He then organized a committee to find out why Brown football had fallen so flat, years 1988-1993. Sr. Punter, those who stand by and say nothing or continue to support the current regime in the face of increasingly poor results, are part of the problem. For anyone who cares, and we all should, we need to express the view that we are not going back to the 1960s. We demand accountability, and if you (Estes) are in charge, you had better explain what has been going on that resulted in this year's disgraceful results.

Author:
Sr Punter (G & B)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:10:55 12/11/17 Mon

Old Salt (to quote the Sage), unless you actually witnessed Nelson Rorbach and the Side Saddle T, I am afraid I may out date you. IMHO the current AI the the real villain, but I had already posted that opinion, perhaps too often. D,C and C, and to a lesser extent Penn, suffer as well. Take a look at Ivy Titles in all sports in the last decade and see if you don't see a trend.

Author:
Percy Haughton
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:59:55 12/12/17 Tue

What do you mean by "the current AI the the real villain?"

The two worst programs in the League, Cornell and Brown, have the lowest AIs. Theoretically they should be the easiest to get kids into. I sympathize with Brown's situation, but clearly other factors must be at play.

Author:
Right to Bear Arms
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:42:08 12/12/17 Tue

So my original post was too see if anyone had a list (or even 1 name) of any early decision commits for Brown... lol guess not, you Ivy leaguers seem to have overthought this one.

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:45:46 12/12/17 Tue

Dylan Brady - a good placekicker from Orange County, CA

Author:
Acob (Announcing decisions)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:30:24 12/12/17 Tue

The early revelations of commits with the exception of Wrestling appears to be quasi secret info sometimes obtained but rarely from athletes announcement. Example one Samuel Lynch of Poganset RI a wrestler who is coming early and issued a Twitter to that effect. Pretty good the grappler group I know concludes+ other sports must believe they announce someone steals. That’s nuts.

Author:
Sr Punter (PH)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:05:17 12/12/17 Tue

Percy, Old Chap, IMHO, the AI shrinks the pool of Ivy eligible athletes creating more recruiting overlaps. As B,C,C,D and UP lose more overlaps (athletes or not) to HYP, the continued raising of the AI floor hurts the non-HYPs dramatically. As I opined earlier, take a look a Ivy Titles over all sports in the last decade, Men's and Women's, and tell me if you come to a different conclusion.

Author:
Percy Houghton
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:35:50 12/12/17 Tue

Yes, the floor is higher and that makes it more difficult to compete with HYP. But Penn and Dartmouth are good every year,and successfully play to their strengths. Who knows if Columbia can sustain their success, but a new staff, bigger budget, and new facilities quickly paid off.

So time for Brown to up their game. I hope they do.

Author:
Sr Punter (PH)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:14:27 12/12/17 Tue

You are only looking at football.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.