VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: New Haven Register Story

Author:
L et V
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:01:54 12/10/17 Sun
In reply to: Son of Eli 's message, "New Haven Register Story" on 08:14:03 12/10/17 Sun

Nothing like our best season in decades to get us a wee bit ahead of ourselves.
Puuuhleeeze, no bulldog v. bulldog. We would be humiliated, if not massacred.
Let those pushing for this lunacy suit-up themselves.
Why don't we at least wait and see how we do against Mercer which had the temerity to play Alabama. The Crimson Tide probably took pity on a fellow red state team. Not sure the Georgia bulldogs would feel the same way about us. A yankee blue stater, no quarter.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: New Haven Register Story

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:25:24 12/10/17 Sun

L et V, if you’re suggesting we let the players vote on playing this game I’ll take you up on that. It’s obvious from the documentary, if you watched it, that the Yale players want to play it. As far as your claims of “humiliation” ask the Yale Basebsll team if they felt humiliated by getting beat handily by the best team in the country at the time, Oregon St. I don’t think you’ll find a single Yale player who regrets playing those games.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: New Haven Register Story

Author:
L et V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:55:02 12/10/17 Sun

Of course the players are for it. Would be disappointed if they weren't. Hardly dispositive.
More importantly, those who've played both (or even watched both) recognize certain innate differences between football and baseball at least until such time as the bats can be used as pugil sticks.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: New Haven Register Story

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:16:51 12/10/17 Sun

There were those who said that Beckett was crazy when he scheduled Army. I was never one of them. No one calls him crazy for doing that now.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Beckett wasn’t crazy to schedule Army

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:37:31 12/10/17 Sun

“Ten years it took to schedule this game,” Beckett finally murmured. “People thought I was crazy.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nhregister.com/colleges/amp/Chip-Malafronte-Win-over-Army-at-Yale-Bowl-11363781.php

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Beckett wasn’t crazy to schedule Army

Author:
L et V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:34:11 12/10/17 Sun

Suggest we defer this until after we've manhandled Mercer. We don't want them laughing at us below the Mason Dixon line.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Beckett wasn’t crazy to schedule Army

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:58:44 12/10/17 Sun

Ok. We certainly have time. Just one more point. I agree that obviously Georgia isn't the best FBS match-up for Yale in terms of a competitive game. However, the game has tremendous historical significance which is required for Yale to be able to schedule any FBS program under current NCAA rules. Without the historic game waiver, which Yale utilized for Army, no FBS program will schedule Yale as the game will not have bowl counter status(This rule only applies to non athletic scholarship leagues). So, unless we can find another Stadium Yale opened up 100 years ago, this is Yale's only chance of playing a FBS opponent.

Princeton blew their shot to play Rutgers in 2019. I hope Yale doesn't also let this opportunity go by. If they do we may never see Yale play an FBS opponent again.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.