VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Brown early decision commits

Author:
Brown Fan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:17:50 12/10/17 Sun
In reply to: Right to Bear Arms 's message, "Brown early decision commits" on 11:18:12 12/08/17 Fri

Acob,

I agree with you about the nature of the comments of (unfortunately named) BrownFan1. His commentary is Trumpian in its depth and truthfulness. I have no problem with factual debate about the program, but that's not what BrownFan1 offers.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Brown early decision commits

Author:
Grin and Bear it
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:07:42 12/10/17 Sun

As much as anyone I have been critical of Estes, but I don't agree with BrownFan 1's assessment. Brown's decline had been in the works for at least five years. What caused it? Well Mrs Simmons policies certainly didn't help, but the bigger issue was that the rest of the league was on the move while Brown was stagnant. There were no longer likely victories over the likes of Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, and now Cornell and Columbia. Everyone got better and Brown stayed the same. Consequently Brown dropped to the bottom. I fault Estes in not being alert to the changes and doing something about it. I also question his assessment of the changes that were taking place. For example, he thought he had a "great" team this year. How bad were they? With the exception of some Columbia teams, they might have been the worse ivy team in this century. That is not hyperbole. What was even worse, they caught the losing bug. I saw this in the 1960s. No matter what they did right, it soon turned wrong, i.e. penalties, dropped passes, fumbles, etc. All in all, it was the worse team Brown had put out in at least 25 years. And yes, that does fall on Estes. For Brown to be competitive, they have to do what Reno did at Yale and even more, scour the nation for players who are difference makers and then get them to commit. Coaches McNeil and Behn have done it and the results speak for themselves.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Probably won't make you feel better, but...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:58:23 12/12/17 Tue

I'd say that last year's Brown team was about as bad as the 2008 0-10 Dartmouth team.

That Dartmouth team played a challenging OOC schedule (Colgate, Holy Cross, and UNH when all were strong teams). But we had only one "close" Ivy contest, an 8 point loss to Columbia.

While 2017 Brown would have beaten the woebegone winless Columbia teams, I'd say 2017 Brown v. 2008 Dartmouth would be a toss up.

Author:
BrownFan1 (Brown Fan)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:46:10 12/10/17 Sun

Thanks!
I guess that makes you “Fake News!”

Author:
BrownFan1 (Brown Fan)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:44:11 12/10/17 Sun

Thanks!
I guess that makes you “Fake News!”

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.