VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Brown early decision commits

Grin and Bear it (Sr. Punter)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:07:30 12/11/17 Mon
In reply to: Sr Punter (G & B) 's message, "Re: Brown early decision commits" on 15:22:45 12/11/17 Mon

Spoken like a true gentleman. I know you love Brown and Brown football. I have no idea how old you are but I am old enough to have gone through the horrible period of the 1960s when Brown was far and away the worst team in the league. Their miserable record during those years was not fair to anyone, the alumni, the fans, the university's reputation, and most of all to the players. On the other hand, Dartmouth a great school in NH, but appreciably smaller than Brown, took a much different approach. They set out to dominate football and for the most part they succeeded. How was Dartmouth rewarded? Well for one thing, they were able to create a sense of pride that is alive and well to this day. In addition, with considerably less alums, they have a larger endowment than Brown. In other words, when alumni are proud of their alma mater they are much more inclined to open their wallets. Many years ago the president of Boston College was brought before the faculty to explain why the football coach was being paid $500,000 when professors were topping out at $100,000. The wise man's reply, "When you bring in $10,000,000 in donations, I will up your pay to $500,000". He then turned and walked away. True story. To make another reference, past Brown president Vartan Gregorian once commented that "whatever we do, we must do with excellence". He then organized a committee to find out why Brown football had fallen so flat, years 1988-1993. Sr. Punter, those who stand by and say nothing or continue to support the current regime in the face of increasingly poor results, are part of the problem. For anyone who cares, and we all should, we need to express the view that we are not going back to the 1960s. We demand accountability, and if you (Estes) are in charge, you had better explain what has been going on that resulted in this year's disgraceful results.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.