VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: If you don't mind my asking...

Author:
Go Green
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:10:36 12/13/17 Wed
In reply to: Calvin 's message, "A post worth revisiting" on 17:06:40 12/13/17 Wed

Is there a reason why beating Penn is irrelevant?

Most would consider them to be at worst, a co-power with Harvard in the years you reference.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: A post worth revisiting

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:31:09 12/13/17 Wed

If you don't mind my asking - where did I say anything about Penn?

I believe most readers were able to determine I was not commenting about Penn, but rather the attempt to be dismissive of Yale. But perhaps you missed the first two sentences in the post, so I'll repeat them for emphasis:

"Last season's Yale upset of Harvard in The Game may or may not represent the beginning of a trend. But if Yale is to contend again, last year had better not be the outlier.

There is no more reliable indicator of an Ivy program's long-term health than its ability to defeat the standard-bearer in our conference: Harvard."

If this claim is true, then most programs are in excellent long-term health (well, as the poster apparently suggests - maybe not Dartmouth).

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: The Ghost of “The Game Past”.!!

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:31:38 12/13/17 Wed

You maybe a bit of undigested CHEESE.? !!

[> [> Subject: Re: A post worth revisiting

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:48:56 12/13/17 Wed

You're channeling Trump again.

[> [> Subject: Re: A post worth revisiting

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:24:29 12/15/17 Fri

I was the original poster way back in September. I was not being "dismissive" of Yale. At least, that was not my intent.

Rather, I was making the point that, if a program wants and plans to become competitive for a championship and then eventually win it, a very good leading indicator for that degree of progress is beating Harvard.

Indeed, I think that the 2017 season supports my thesis. The unexpected victory in the 2016 finale was the turning point in Yale's resurrection, coming just one week after a complete shellacking by the Tigers.

After a long long drought, Yale has been Harvard twice in a row now and is the 2017 outright champion. That seems consistent with my September post.

[> [> [> Subject: mea culpa

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:38:00 12/15/17 Fri

Point taken, comment qualified accordingly. Got my observers mixed up; I was reading it as a Big 0 comment.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: mea culpa

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:14:35 12/15/17 Fri

Calvin, paraphrasing a famous, though fictitious, Radcliffe graduate, our relationship "means never having to say you're sorry."

Though confusing me with the Big 0, that comes close.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: mea culpa

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:49:01 12/15/17 Fri

Thanks, it's not necessary to invoke a Harvard reference, although I have to take responsibility for that.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.