VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: 2017 Ivy football attendance & NBCSN TV ratings

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 01:18:10 12/15/17 Fri
In reply to: voy vey 's message, "2017 Ivy football attendance & NBCSN TV ratings" on 16:36:20 12/14/17 Thu

If you want Ivy football to be relevant, we are going to have to accomplish the following:

Get students to the games
Get the communities to care and support their teams
Improve the quality of the on field product
Have a chance at winning the NCAA (playoff participation)
Improve facilities
Hire a commissioner that understands sports marketing and football

If not, football will become a D3 or club sport and interest will decline further.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Quick rejoinders

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:01:59 12/15/17 Fri

1) The quality of play is as high as its been in generations. Every Ivy team has about 30+ players who had D-I scholarship offers coming out of HS. More importantly, we're sending more guys to NFL camps than we have in a long time.

2) Most Ivy teams have made significant upgrades to facilities in recent years. Sure would be nice if all eight would do it, but I don't think that's the issue.

3) D-III is "all or nothing." You can't drop your football program to D-III without also doing the same for basketball, hockey, lacrosse, etc. Google "Dayton Rule" for specifics.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Quick rejoinders

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:05:58 12/15/17 Fri

Let’s be clear, I want the Ivy League to put the best product it can on the field, for both the athletes and fans. I just don’t think we are close to that level yet.

Upgrades to facilities may have been made, but are still not on par with most D1 programs. Which stadiums, locker rooms, weight rooms and practice faciities in the Ivy do you think are comparable to the top 50% of D1 football programs? Harvard may get there with renovations, Princeton, Penn? Please don’t put Yale in that category....seat comfort, bathrooms, concessions, scoreboard and appropriateness of size put the stadium in the are all bottom 25%. Other aspects bring that ranking down further. People on this board know more about the facilities at other Ivy schools,I’ve only seen about 1/2. I have really only seen the stadiums for the others, but I have seen the full compliment of facilities at more than 30. Good facilities help attract recruits.

Same holds true about quality of play. Being the best team in a subpar league still means you are subpar. Only really way to know how good you are is to play the top teams and I don’t think the Patriot and Ivy League teams qualify as being the best in the FCS. Maybe you disagree. Again, the only way to really know is to play them. We won’t be in the playoffs, so the only alternative I could come up with was OOC games against top teams. Forget about Army and Georgia, How would HYPPD do against James Madison, Youngstown State, N Dakota State? That would give us a true benchmark. We can’t just compare ourselves against non-scholarship schools, there are not enough of them left and recruits weigh all options/factors.

Let’s focus on how to get attendance and fan interest up or we will be playing in front of 5,000, (less than many high schools) and recruiting/football product will suffer. I stand corrected that D3 is a possibible outcome. However I would argue being irrelevant in DI is an even worse fate.

I am not looking for FBS football here, but to attract talent and have competitive play( relative to an external benchmark) we need to recruit the 3* and 2* players. Not a handful on each team, the whole team. Maybe a league commissioner focus on marketing is not the right answer, but at least it’s a suggestion. Let’s come up with better ones and get moving.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Well...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:29:48 12/17/17 Sun

When Floren Varsity House opened in Hanover earlier this decade, Teevens said that recruits were telling him "Coach, I was at Northwestern/Duke/Rice last week, and your locker room and weight rooms are better than theirs."

Whether or not he's still hearing that from recruits, I have no idea. But it played a big role in Dartmouth's becoming competitive again.

I agree that Memorial Field per se doesn't wow anyone (although people do like it). Personally, I used to love the old practice fields by Thompson...

I'm totally fine with playing competitive FCS teams. There really isn't a huge difference between playing Army and playing good CAA teams. Of course, I'd only recommend scheduling one such game a year per team, or else you end up with some of the problems that Dartmouth had in the first decade of this century...

[> [> Subject: Re: 2017 Ivy football attendance & NBCSN TV ratings

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:21:56 12/20/17 Wed

You know Duke and Northwestern both opened new practice facilities, weight rooms and football locker rooms in 2017 right?

Probably spent $30-$50 million maybe more.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: 2017 Ivy football attendance & NBCSN TV ratings

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:32:37 12/20/17 Wed

My bad. Duke spent $100 million on their football facilities in 2017 and Northwestern spent $260 million on theirs. We can’t even spend 10% of that amount for a new locker room and a practice bubble.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.