VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Respect for Ivy League Football Players

Author:
Jerrylh
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 07:34:49 12/15/17 Fri
In reply to: Football Fanatic 's message, "Re: Respect for Ivy League Football Players" on 01:30:59 12/15/17 Fri

Stanford?? Let's start with some FCS schools like North Dakota State, or James Madison first. I don't think an Ivy school would be competitive against a school like Stanford.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Respect for Ivy League Football Players

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:53:05 12/15/17 Fri

How about Rutgers? Princeton had the chance and passed.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: FBS playing Ivy

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:21:23 12/15/17 Fri

I do believe that FBS schools need an exception (or is it exemption)like Yale did to play Army to get the games count towards the FBS' goal of becoming goal eligible. Dartmouth is playing Army in a couple of years, and must have a similar exemption. Regarding Princeton/Rutgers, that was a game that should have been made without out a doubt. However, Rutgers previous HC had no interest in playing Princeton with a possibility of losing to an Ivy. RU would rather play Hampton and Norfolk to get a guarantee W.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Princeton didn't look like they had any interest in the game in 2014

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:37:51 12/15/17 Fri

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/11/on_anniversary_of_first_college_football_game_rutgers_and_princeton_coaches_talk_about_possibility_o.html

Maybe Surace eventually changed his mind, but he didn't seem terribly enthusiastic about the game in 2014.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Princeton would have won in 2016

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:47:20 12/15/17 Fri

I did read that article back then, and Flood did seem open to it. But I also heard that it was a no-win situation for Rutgers and was concerned that the competition would be a few step ups from the Hamptons and Morgan States. And in my opinion, Rutgers very likely would have lost to the Princeton 2016 version. The talent level has narrowed quite a bit from 10 years ago. Rutgers doesn't want to play Monmouth either, but at least next year NJ will see which FCS team is better with Princeton agreeing to play Monmouth.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Princeton would have won in 2016

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:11:06 12/15/17 Fri

Trying to read the tea leaves in the articles written back when the Rutgers game was on the table, it seemed that Surace was concerned about injuries.

While it seems reasonable to think that, at the margin, injuries are more likely against a bigger, stronger team, I think the reality is that injuries are fairly random.

Look at how decimated pre-season favorite Princeton was this year. I don't think that any of the more well-known Tiger players failed to live up to expectations, but injuries led to a 2-5 record. A lot of those most important injuries occurred in practice or pre-season.

Playing Rutgers would have been worth the incremental risk for Princeton. Missing a 150th anniversary date is a huge lost opportunity reflective of thinking small, especially because as GreenIvy notes, a Tiger team near the top of its own trading range could actually beat Rutgers.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Princeton would have won in 2016

Author:
Tad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:00:49 12/15/17 Fri

There was never any love-loss between Princeton and Rutgers. Perhaps Surace was concerned that the Scarlet Knight players would have a little more on their mind than recording a W.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Princeton would have won in 2016

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:04:15 12/15/17 Fri

Injuries are always possible against a stronger team (especially for the QB) but I agree that they are random and many are non-contact as well. Another problem for Ivy teams playing FBS schools is that the Ivy forces all 10 games in a row without a bye week. Therefore, it is not easy to schedule games OOC games, especially when the Ivy starts two weeks after most of the country.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Princeton would have won in 2016

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:16:52 12/15/17 Fri

So my question is this. Why does Rutgers, a perennial bottom feeder in the Big 10, have to be stronger than an Ivy school? Deeper, I get that, but with decent facilities, nutrition and strength cosches, we dhould be pretty equal at th first line.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Rutgers

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:52:38 12/16/17 Sat

The Rutgers teams of 2005-2012 were much better than the Ivy teams, with multiple NFL players like Ray Rice and Ken Britt. But the recent teams would have a tough time against the likes of Princeton. However, the talent gap is narrower across FBS and FCS teams. Look at all the FCS teams that knock off FBS schools over the past few years. However, since there's no playoffs for the Ivies, Ivy fans can't even see if their schools can compete with upper FCS schools

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Rutgers

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:57:14 12/16/17 Sat

Rutgers has a hard enough time recruiting against "real" Big Ten teams with its record and performance. If they lost to an ivy team they would be subjected to such humiliation on the recruiting trail they would never recover.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Speculation is folly

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:50:45 12/15/17 Fri

You commit to a situation when it’s available that’s how you get respect. Princeton will never know the fate that could’ve been. Good bad or indifferent as to bad they had their chance. Any Ivy School has to take the advantage when it’s available has to

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Respect for Ivy League Football Players

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:06:30 12/15/17 Fri

You are correct. It is a shame! Would have been fun.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.