VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: 2017 Ivy football attendance & NBCSN TV ratings

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:23:14 12/15/17 Fri
In reply to: voy vey 's message, "2017 Ivy football attendance & NBCSN TV ratings" on 16:36:20 12/14/17 Thu

I fully agree that the move down to FCS has adversely impacted both attendance and viewership. I also believe that if the Ivy wants to, it can move back to FBS and be fairly competitive within the lower tier of FBS football.

Assuming we can get Ivy administrators on board, the most practical solution is to create a league like what Son of Eli suggested - the 8 Ivies plus Army and Navy. This would make sense for five reasons: a) the prestige and rigorous academic standards of the military academies is in line with the prestige and high academic standards of the Ivy League; b) the military academies would be the most receptive to how the Ivies place restrictions on students and coaches since they place even greater non-athletic demands and restrictions on their students and coaches; c) the military academies also do not allow redshirting; d) the lack of scholarships is not an issue since the military academies also do not issue athletic scholarships; and e) Ivies are not that far from the quality of football at Army and Navy so it would not take too long to close the gap.

Similar to how the Ivies have been recruiting more four-star basketball recruits in recent years since the change in financial aid rules, I feel there is similar room to significantly raise the bar for football recruits in a new academic FBS conference. Given the challenges the NCAA is facing on many fronts, I am guessing the NCAA would be very receptive to a new FBS academic oriented conference. We could even have the winner of our conference play in an academic themed bowl by creating a partnership with schools like Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Stanford, etc.

No matter how much sense this might make, it would only work if our Ivy administrators had a big change in heart. Seeing how Stanford has created world class academic university competitive with all of the Ivies and fielded good FBS football teams, the timing just may be right to explore a movement back to FBS again.

I realize that this may be dreaming too much, but it is the time of year to add items to one's wish list.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: 2017 Ivy football attendance & NBCSN TV ratings

Author:
Steve Mathiason
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:43:06 12/15/17 Fri

Ivy Sports Junkie- we posted about the same thing at the same time! lol

Actually, both Army and Navy were considered to be part of the informal Ivy league before it formalized. They chose not to go along because they were still a strong football presence at the time.

I definitely think its doable, and the NCAA would be wise to be receptive. Major CFB does have image problems, which is what makes the Army-Navy game so popular with fans. The academies have much in common with the Ivies.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.