VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: 2017 Ivy football attendance & NBCSN TV ratings

Author:
Steve Mathiason
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:37:36 12/15/17 Fri
In reply to: voy vey 's message, "2017 Ivy football attendance & NBCSN TV ratings" on 16:36:20 12/14/17 Thu

I guess the real bottom line is this.....

Just before the demotion in 1982, the Ivies were using their new-found tenth game to schedule opponents they hadn't seen in decades (or ever at all). While they weren't winning a majority of them, they did win some and it was giving the programs needed experience with big-time opponents. Had they continued on that path, it is likely that the Ivy League would have gradually become a decent mid-major I-A/FBS league. That was before the enhanced financial aid packages.

However, the demotion occurred and the rest is sad history. It need not stay this way.

There are two scenarios here.....

1) The current situation of a largely forgotten, games-don't-even-count-towards-bowls, FCS league that suffers from declining attendance

or

2) A decent FBS mid-major league that, with enhanced financial aid packages, allows its teams to compete OOC with teams like Boston College, UConn, the academies, Rice, Wake Forest, etc, etc. Average attendances being in the 20k-plus range....occasionally having a top team get some votes for the Top 25.

I don't believe for a second that when the Ivy Group agreement was signed in the 50's that they envisioned the Ivy League being demoted to the point that it has been.

Its time to reverse course somewhat....not to be a Big Ten or SEC, but to be a unique league that actually has the chance to stand as a beacon for excellence in both academics and football.

I think everyone of us can agree that the second option would be by far the most fun. And, it is doable since they were on track to doing it before, and things have actually improved with enhanced financial aid.

I know the Prexies have been standing in the way for so long with worn-out excuses, but there needs to be a catalyst. That's what's been missing.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: 2017 Ivy football attendance & NBCSN TV ratings

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:28:49 12/15/17 Fri

I agree with your goals Steve. However, one problem, besides the Prexies, is that there is no NCAA procedure in place for an entire league to step up to FBS.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.