VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Dartmouth men’s basketball

Author:
Green Enthusiast
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:11:04 12/17/17 Sun
In reply to: John 's message, "Dartmouth men’s basketball" on 22:23:41 12/05/17 Tue

Watched the UIC game. Not a lot to be hopeful about as we enter conference play. We are dependent on the three and don’t really have a go to player. Miles Wright had a solid game but his defensive lapses are glaring still. He also goes missing for too much of the game. Johnson who has emerged the last few games couldn’t handle the much quicker guards and wasn’t able to create for himself like he did in other games. Knight had a tough game but if I were McLaughlin I would let him play through these as he is going to be our best player this year if he can learn to control the fouls. Will Emery played his best game yet and was strong all around. Maybe McLaughlin will let him play more than his 17-19 minutes a game. What is the most concerning about this team is the lack of rebounding. We just don’t have anyone to replace Boudreaux on the boards. Not sure if anyone noticed but the announcers pointed out that the assistant coaches were drawing up the player and talking to the team at time outs. It appears McLaughlin doesn’t know what to do in game situations. He doesn’t seem to adapt well to changes in the game plan and sticks to a set approach. That worri a me more than anything as we have talent but can’t seem to use it the right way. Notre Dame could be really ugly!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Technically accurate

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:32:12 12/18/17 Mon

We may have talent, but it seems that most of the other teams have more of it. UIC was just more athletic than we were at pretty much every position...

I think that its fair to assume that McLaughlin was expecting Boudreaux to be playing this season, and was understandably caught off-guard when that wasn't the case. I don't think many other coaches would be doing better at this point in the season than McLaughlin has done.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Technically accurate

Author:
Diogenes (Go Green)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:53:30 12/18/17 Mon

Agree. Would add that Sheehy should be keeping a close eye on this as he is the only person with basketball expertise in the administrative hierarchy. His decision is to replace promptly at season's end or let things run until the end of McLaughlin's contract. If McLaughlin has problems such as game coaching, Sheehy is the only one who can work with McLaughlin on those skills and assess his progress. This situation is more on Sheehy than McLaughlin, including the Boudreaux exit and the way it was handled.

The rest of the year is a test for the team, the coach and the A.D. If everyone does their part, they could make real progress and lay a good foundation for another good recruiting class. If they consider this year as a great opportunity to conquer some difficult problems, we might see a lot of things heading in a positive direction come March. I'm pulling for all of them and hope it works out in the near and long term

[> [> [> [> Subject: If you don't mind my asking...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:31:03 12/18/17 Mon

How exactly should have Boudreaux's exit been handled from Sheehy's or McLaughlin's standpoint? Boudreaux's announcing that he wanted to transfer right before the season opener was as bad timing as possible for the program.

And even assuming that either S or McL could have handed the exit better, what difference would that have made for the team's performance thus far?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: If you don't mind my asking...

Author:
Diogenes (Go Green)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:08:09 12/18/17 Mon

I don't know anything about the facts of L'Affaire Boudreaux.

Having said that and given his family etc., it's hard to imagine that he just woke up one morning this Fall and dropped his decision on an unsuspecting family, A.D., coach, team and College. It's a reasonable supposition that there were extended and significant discussions with everyone involved over a period of time. I believe that supposition is correct. If that supposition is wrong, then there is blame of a significantly greater order of magnitude which should be shared by all.

Assuming my supposition is correct, there was a significant failure by Sheehy and McLaughlin correctly to manage and massage the timing and content of the announcement.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: If you don't mind my asking...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:34:09 12/18/17 Mon

Then kudos to Cormier and Sheehy for managing the situation with Alex Mitola effectively enough to ensure that Mitola announced his transfer at the conclusion of the season, rather than at the beginning of it.

A shame that McLaughlin and Sheehy couldn't replicate the feat with Boudreaux...

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.