VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Mike Gundy Finds Outstanding OC Using Online Search Engine

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:37:28 12/28/17 Thu

This is one of several articles floating around about how Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy replaced his outgoing offensive coordinator three years ago using an online search engine.

For all of his personality quirks ("I'm a man! I'm a man!"), I've got great respect for Gundy and any person who is willing to humble himself/herself by thinking way, way outside the box in doing something that will attract public scrutiny and criticism if he or she fails.

Gundy searched nationwide for offenses which were no-huddle, uptempo and scored points in bunches. (I wouldn't be surprised if one of the guys Gundy considered at the time was James Perry at Princeton.) Gundy identified a guy from Division II Shippensburg who was making $52,500 at the time. Sight unseen, Gundy offered him a three-year contract at $400,000 per year. According to this article, when Gundy made the offer over the phone, he thought that the call had been dropped after there was only silence on the other end.

It's all worked out as, after a slow start, the Cowpokes offense is back near the top of the FBS. Indeed, Gundy's problem now is once again what prompted his internet search before, namely, his OCs keep getting offers to be head coaches.

http://kwese.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21862192/oklahoma-state-cowboys-mike-gundy-offensive-coordinator-internet

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Mike Gundy Finds Outstanding OC Using Online Search Engine

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:28:51 12/28/17 Thu

I saw this article. It's remarkable - not just him accepting someone he doesn't know first hand as being competent, it's also choosing someone blindly that you have no idea will mesh with you and tpur staff personally when your own career is ultimately at risk.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.