VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: What do you project Columbia's record next year?

Author:
Big Dawg
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:45:22 12/28/17 Thu

After Anders Hill departure, I see an overall stronger team except at QB. Which unfortunately is huge.
Therefore, I see a 6-4 record as a solid goal, unless we find a diamond in the rough at QB who can take us to the next level.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: What do you project Columbia's record next year?

Author:
Old Lion (QB)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:08:36 12/28/17 Thu

Tell me what we can expect from the QB position. If somebody emerges at QB from the current roster there is no reason why we can’t be as good a team as we were last year, if we can also find a pass catching TE and some more depth at RB and on the DL. Looks like we may now have a candidate as the first legitimate pass catching TE since Andrew Kennedy. There is a lot of talent in the current first and second year classes.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: If history is any guide...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:09:53 12/29/17 Fri

Columbia usually (read: always) goes around .500 following a good year.

In 1962, they went 5-4.

In 1997, they went 4-6.

So there's that.

[> [> Subject: ...which it doesn't this time

Author:
ungvar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:22:16 12/29/17 Fri

The best coach in the Ivies, his excellent staff and a new generation of players suggest that history is bunk.

It will interesting to see which QB takes the helm this year. The 8-2 team from last year is largely intact with the best receiving corps in the Ivies (plus some excellent newbies), most of the OL and a substantial portion of the defense returning.

You can bet that the team will be working hard in the bubble this winter and that the QB situation will be set by spring ball.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: ...which it doesn't this time

Author:
Big Dawg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:44:19 12/29/17 Fri

The issue is still at QB.
Hill had unique talents which cannot come off the shelf. I saw no one this past year with anything close to his arm or accuracy.
Any incoming frosh would have to be exceedingly talented, and would still need extensive seasoning in the college game, to equal Hill's capability. Our current corps of QBs certainly is not in his league.
So maybe short passes and a much improved running game will be the route we go.

Don't get me wrong; I would love 10-0. I just like to have reasonable and logical expectations, and 6-4 is my median between disappointment and pleasant surprise.

[> [> [> [> Subject: I imagine that...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:19:58 12/29/17 Fri

Columbia fans in December 1961 and December 1996 were saying the same thing.

But as some have suggested--history is worthless. The 2018 Lions are just as likely to go 10-0 and win every game by double digits than they are to go (thereabouts) 5-5.

:)

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Wish this Board had an edit feature...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:48:39 12/29/17 Fri

Then I'd revise to say

"The 2018 Lions are just as likely to go 10-0, winning every game by double digits or begin Streak III than they are to go (thereabouts) 5-5."

The :) at the end would remain.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: ...which it doesn't this time

Author:
Roar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:55:00 12/29/17 Fri

Dawg, I think you are underestimating the QB talent we have on board. True, none of them got a chance to display their passing ability last season, but both Bean and Davis were All-State (Davis 1st-team in Texas, no small accomplishment) and Bean had nearly a 70% completion rate his senior year (and his only pass attempt this past season was a TD). Suitt may also step up plus two or more good ones coming in (word of a super transfer has not materialized yet to my knowledge). Plenty to look forward to, especially if the RBs and DLs come to the fore. GO LIONS!

[> [> [> [> Subject: QBs

Author:
RTR16
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:58:34 12/29/17 Fri

Agree. The two rising sophomores are really good. Both have cannons but real game situations are another thing. We’ll see. And the “super transfer” is still far from settled.

[> [> Subject: You may be right about the record next year

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:32:20 12/29/17 Fri

But it's hardly a given that he's the best coach in the ivies.

[> [> [> Subject: (This was to ungvar)

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:34:13 12/29/17 Fri

FWIW, I agree that what happened 30 or more years ago is totally irrelevant, but you know lawyers.....

[> [> [> [> Subject: I bet someone made the same smartass comment

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:31:39 12/29/17 Fri

To the same observation to the same question in 1996.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: I bet someone made the same smart comment

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:58:04 12/29/17 Fri

FTFY.

Seriously, if anyone thinks what happened 20 or more years ago is remotely relevant, in any way, to 2018 .....

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: (This was to ungvar)

Author:
Old Lion (Next year)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:07:17 12/30/17 Sat

I think we will be a good team and highly competitive. Predicting a win/loss record is tough to do. I thought that Princeton was one of the best teams in the league, yet it did not have a good record. On the other hand, although the score was close, at least on the day that we played them I thought that Dartmouth, which had the same record that we had, was not nearly as good as Princeton or Penn and am still surprised that Yale, the best team we played, lost to Dartmouth.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: You may be right about the record next year

Author:
bowwowwow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:38:36 12/31/17 Sun

But he got COY so he must be the best ever right? I expect much to the disappointment of the powder blue Lion fans that Columbia will return to its former self next season. 500 at best.

[> [> Subject: Re: If history is any guide...

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:28:29 12/30/17 Sat

2 "good" years in 56. Breathtaking.

Author:
Happy Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:54:14 12/29/17 Fri

A 8-2 record may be a disappointment next year. Lots of talent on this team.

[> Subject: with Princeton loaded

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:45:54 12/29/17 Fri

Yale loaded Harvard probably reloaded and Dartmouth will be extremely competitive probably kinda tough for anyone to go 8-2

Author:
IvyVoyeur
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:24:37 12/30/17 Sat

I think the difference between this season and 1996-97 is this team was better balanced, less of a two man show, with better underclassmen waiting for opportunities. That suggests less of a drop off going into next year. But I'm cautious, recognizing how many breaks went CU's way for it to eke out some narrow victories over teams that might have been better. This year's team was both good and lucky, and may have overachieved a bit. What does that say for next year? Perhaps a base of 5-5/2-5, and an opportunity to build up from there if player development and some breaks go CU's way, and the "new attitude" continues to grow. I think it's likely there's a capable QB on the roster. Big question is whether the O-line can improve. It'll be interesting to see how the previews view the Lions.

[> [> Subject: Re: What do you project Columbia's record next year?

Author:
CU_88
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:57:34 12/30/17 Sat

Depends on the injury factor. Remember the 2-5 Princeton from
2017 and the Dartmouth 1-6 from 2016. In the ivy league that makes a big difference on when the injuries occur. Anywhere from 3-4 to 5-2 is possible in the league.

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:01:17 12/30/17 Sat

With all due respect, without knowing the QB answer, this is a pretty pointless exercise because that answer will hugely affect the team's trajectory. Remember, great QBs do surface time after time, but until they "arrive," they're still unknown. Before Hill began to really click at the end of 2016, we didn't know that he would improve as much as he did.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.