VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:49:08 12/30/17 Sat
In reply to: Jerrylh 's message, "Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League" on 12:31:04 12/30/17 Sat

If 27 wins over three seasons while playing in The Big 10 and a national Top 25 ranking doesn't impress you then you're very hard to impress. So what if they are not as good a Ohio State? The Ivy League shouldn't have a philosophy of if we can't be #1 then we'll take our ball and go home.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:57:56 12/30/17 Sat

The question is not what I think. It is what the students and alumni think. If the ivies went big time would we enjoy it more. Not only that what big time football team football school would come to Hanover to play in that stadium which is fine in Ivy League. What would have excited me would be seeing how Yale would have done in theFCS playoffs

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:59 12/30/17 Sat

Dartmouth could play their big homes games at Fenway or Foxboro. Same with Brown. Columbia could play their big home games at Yankee Stadium or Giant Stadium. Cornell could easily add seats to get to a 30,000 capacity.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:23:41 12/30/17 Sat

Yes those modifications could be made. However, Ivies would still be playing each other attracting relatively small crowds

Bottom line, is that it is my belief that if the Ivies begin awarding athletic scholarships, you will not see the excitement and satisfaction that you expect. All I want is for the Ivy league champion to play in the FCS playoffs.

Blue-I watched this year's Yale Princeton game. While I was not happy with the outcome, it was an exciting hard fought contest. I don't believe that if the players were receiving athletic scholarships that I would have enjoyed it more. The Yale and Princeton athletes play as hard as the players on Alabama, Clemson, etc., just not at the same skill level. If I was only concerned with skill level, I would only watch NFL games.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:42:04 12/30/17 Sat

On a side note, did anyone see the beautiful football facility Northwestern has built/is building on Lake Michigan which was highlighted on the telecast? As recently as 2016, their facilities were similar to Yale/Harvard. Their stadium is similar to the Yale Bowl, but the training, practice, meeting and other facilities are now light years ahead. They are also currently completely remodeling their basketball facility (playing offsite this season).

It will be interesting to see if these enhancements improve their program results through recruiting. Maybe the recent bowl appearance is just the first step. They will likely never be in the upper echelon of football, but that is not really the point. The quality of play has improved exponentially under Fitzgerald and the new facilities can only help them keep improving.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.