VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:27:32 12/30/17 Sat
In reply to: joiseyfan 's message, "Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League" on 14:02:41 12/30/17 Sat

I don’t see the lack of athletic scholarships as an issue anymore. Agreed, the Ivy Presidents srongly oppose them, and likely always will. However, the current ubiquitous Financial Aid scholarships made possible by huge tax free endowments makes this policy no longer a hinderance to the Ivy League’s ability to recruit. Hence, the remarkable improvement in the quality of Ivy League Sports we’ve seen this century. Ivy League presidents can’t undo this without loosing their tax free status. The door is now open to take the next steps to further revitalize Ivy League Football without given up the ban on athletic scholarships. It will just take some vision and courage to step through it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:02:29 12/30/17 Sat

I believe the recent tax law imposes a tax on endowments, so offering athletic scholarships won't save the day on that score.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:20:51 12/30/17 Sat

As much as I’d like to know how the Ivy Champion would fare in the FCS playoffs, I think similar benefits could be accomplished by playing annual OOC games with Rice, Duke, Northwestern, Army, Vanderbilt etc. Hopefully, improvements in facilities and recruiting (and then a resulting rise in level of play) would be the result. This would require the 11th game and lift on bowl eligibility credit. I guess games against some schools could be held at alternate sites to provide for the necessary capacity, but that would not help student attendance/involvement as most would not travel. Something about that does not feel quite right, as our guests would not experience our campuses and host cities (except at a few schools), but I could live with that in exchange for games on national TV/ and football exposure. The current non scholarship status and unique Ivy experience could be maintained to a large degree while generating many benefits.

Maybe it’s a reasonable middle ground? I don’t see the Ivies joining a major conference, offering academic scholarships, or wanting to forgo the unique “club” like feel any time soon...if ever. Nor do I see others with similar academics that currently play in the Power 5 conferences wanting to join with HYPP in forming a new one, requiring them to forgo large conference payouts.

We will see if 2018 holds out any hope of change, but I am not holding my breath. Status quo is the safe path for Ivy leadership and for 1/2 the league, it’s the only real option.

It’s almost the New Year, so hope remains!

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:22:39 12/30/17 Sat

A telling comment about public perception by the announcer when describing Northwestern's turn around- "They were so bad [in the 70s] they considered joining the Ivy League."

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Upper Valley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:04:15 12/30/17 Sat

Former Ivy executive director Jeff Orleans was interviewed about a possible upgrade in Ivy football ambitions back in the 90's, back when Northwestern, Duke and Stanford were all perpetually bad. When the interviewer asked Orleans whether the Ivies could aim to combine high level academics with FBS football like N, D and S did, he responded, "How's that working out for them?"

At the time, Orleans was correct.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:04:04 12/30/17 Sat

Orleans was extremely short sighted. Robin Harris has been a big improvement.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Agreed

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:56:07 01/01/18 Mon

I'm not sure Harris always believes her own propaganda.

But at least she issues propaganda. Seemed too often that Orleans didn't even bother to try...

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.