VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Steve Mathiason
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 23:15:50 12/30/17 Sat
In reply to: Son of Eli 's message, "Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League" on 10:30:06 12/30/17 Sat

I think there is a path to a better standing for Ivy Football without abandoning its basic principles.....

1) Better aid packages are having about the same impact that schollies would have. That's why you see an upgrade in play. This year's Yale team could compete with many FBS schools.
2) Because of the improved aid situation, it may be easier to have the bowl credit ban lifted.
3) I think the FCS Playoffs are simply too much for the Ivies to swallow, especially if it means going deep. Just being reasonable knowing the prexies like we do.
4) Improve facilities just enough to petition to go FBS as a league. Some are already there.
5) Think outside the box to improve attendance to meet FBS standards (which is not asking that much, really)
6) Be a good mid-major FBS league that plays OOC games vs academic-minded schools and academies, as well as MAC, Sun Belt, and other conferences. Re-establish ties left behind long ago by reintroducing series' like Yale-UConn, Princeton-Rutgers, etc.

Remember, Northwestern gets HUGE amounts of bowl money from the BIG as well as the BIG Network.

If the Ivies were an FBS league, played realistic OOC opponents (including occasional Patriot and CAA teams), averaged 15-20,000 fans at games, and had a raised profile in the CFB world, who exactly would be hurt by this? I think this is where the Ivies could be, with an occasional champ getting Top 25 votes.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:19:28 12/31/17 Sun

gentlemen;enjoyed reading the active banter on this topic. for what it is worth and just one man's opinion the 1981 ill fated mistake to drop down to this mediocre subdivision category 1A is a mistake which should not be repeated each year and immediately corrected. the powers that be do not have the intestinal fortitude to move into the twenty-first century to allow academically gifted students the chance to play football at he highest possible level given the circumstances. it took more than twenty five years to achieve a ten game schedule which has now hovered at that level for about another forty years. i may be drinking my own bath water but the time has come to allow ancient eight players to compete at the playoff level. adding an eleventh game would allow each ancient eight member to add a so called upper level team or at the very least reinstated traditional rivalries. for example our blue vs huskies and tigers vs scarlet knights.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:08:36 12/31/17 Sun

Happy New Year to all posters on this board, the discussion of our beloved League's proper place in the college football universe illustrates why we all find participation in these discussions stimulating and enlightening.

In my humble opinion, I think one unifying thread can be distilled out of all the above comments, and that is that the student athletes who play for our alma maters deserve better than the present circumstances of low attendance at games and little or no way to prove their status in the universe referred to above.

Robin Harris is a quantum improvement over Jeff Orleans as our conference leader--the latter played the role of undertaker, not commissioner. She is a skilled lawyer, used to navigating the corridors of the NCAA offices in Indianapolis, so she can be a useful ally in representing our interests at that organization.

Long term, I think post season play is still DOA with Ivy presidents, so the emphasis should be on gaining an 11th game, and assuring the flexibility that would allow the scheduling of a game each year with selected academic peers in different parts of the country. Presently, we have the jarring disconnect of eight institutions proudly proclaiming national and even international preeminence, and yet passing up a clear opportunity to connect with our increasingly geographically dispersed alumni by matches with those peer institutions in Durham, Houston, Evanstown, etc. The West Coast is not a fertile ground for such matchups, but this could be handled by scheduling mutually beneficial contests with the Service Academies at a neutral site in San Francisco or LA.

Some may think the above thoughts are idle dreams, but I feel that facts on the ground support me. HYPP, and probably Dartmouth and Columbia have the resources in place to achieve what is described above, as each (with the exception of D) has a huge endowment, and football backers with immense resources and open check books. From what I can see, Brown is in the process of mobilizing along the lines of its rivals, and Cornell has the resources, it simply needs to find the will.

When one sees the ferment throughout college football, I foresee a future in which the Ivies can resume the role they played in the first twenty five years of the League's existence, as Mid Majors playing a competitive brand of football that demonstrates, by producing future leaders, the way the sport ought to be played.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:12:32 12/31/17 Sun

gentlemen; here are some thoughts on the way the pigskin landscape has changed. the scarlet knights until 1993 stadium capacity was 31 thousand and always played the tigers in the more spacious palmer stadium capacity 46 thousand. the eagles stadium capacity in 1993 was 26 thousand and regularly played in a home and away series with the crusaders whose fitton field capacity was/is 26 thousand. eagles current stadium capacity 45 thousand and no longer play the crusaders. nittany lion stadium capacity until 1969 was 46 thousand now 106 thousand.ancient eight squads will continue to get lost in the shuffle unless strides are made toward an eleventh game and participation in playoffs. mr memphis has hit the nail on the head.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.