VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 07:28:03 01/03/18 Wed
In reply to: Big Dawg 's message, "Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League" on 21:56:18 01/02/18 Tue

I agree that the Ivy League couldn’t compete as a solid mid major at the FBS level with the current admission policies in place. That’s why I said earlier in this thread they would need to eliminate the AI in order to go back to the FBS level. This shouldn’t be considered a radical notion. It would only be returning the Ivy League to the status quo that existed in 1981, before the AI was implemented.

The standard should be can the athletes do the work and graduate. Northwestern has proven that they can. It’s not important that the athletes are within one standard deviation of the student body. Diversity is good, right?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: If Not Us, Then Who?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:17:42 01/03/18 Wed

With all respect, SOE, I disagree. Universities are centers of research and teaching. I accept that almost all colleges use athletics to attract a more diverse student body than would otherwise be the case and as an in-house marketing arm.

I'm comfortable with that because -- let's be candid -- it is not the mission of the University of Alabama to be solely a center of research and teaching. It's also a social and cultural institution in Alabama. And a big part of the social and cultural function it plays is provided by a championship football team.

But that flourishing sports programs comes with a cost. Louisville, Baylor, Ole Miss, SMU, blah blah blah. We all know the cesspool that is Top 25 FBS football and men's basketball recruiting. And that's just what we know about.

For the love of all that is holy, somebody's got to stand for doing things the right way. And right now, very few colleges are even attempting to hew to the role of academic standards for athletes. It's got to be us.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: If Not Us, Then Who?

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:32:24 01/03/18 Wed

I just want to play against a couple of those schools each year to see if the Ivy League can compete in FB. We already play against them in other sports. Keep the AI, keep the IVY league. I’d just like to see a few changes to be able to compete (on the field and in recruiting). Is that too much to ask?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: If Not Us, Then Who?

Author:
Big Dawg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:48:56 01/05/18 Fri

In a word, Yes.

We could certainly play these teams, but we would only get wiped out, as well as suffering serious injuries.

Those kids are barely one step below pro-level in size and talent. Once in a while an Ivy player matches up, but never on a roster-wide basis.

The Stanfords and the Northwesterns still use league and NCAA minimums to recruit, or they could not compete. If we want true student-athletes, we have to accept that.

We will just have to rule the world, not the FBS.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: If Not Us, Then Who?

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:14:40 01/13/18 Sat

Ok. Let’s say you are right, we cant compete with the likes of Northwestern or other schools with lower academic standards for FB. Let’s schedule MAC schools or are you thinking the result would be the same. Are you saying we can only compete within the IL and Patriot? I really have no feel, but would like to see since we don’t play in the playoffs.

Is that too much to ask?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
HDallmar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:38:50 01/03/18 Wed

The late Fred Hargadon was director of admission at Stanford before coming to Princeton. He told me that Stanford had a two track admission system, one for athletes and another for non-athletes. He said he admitted a lot of athletes to Stanford who never would have been close to admitted to Princeton.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:40:58 01/05/18 Fri

I asked Carril the identical question years ago. He did not answer, just turned an indescribable patriotic shade of orange.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.