VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Dartmouth-Harvard Men's B-Ball

Author:
John Harvard
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:49:32 01/09/18 Tue
In reply to: Diogenes 's message, "Dartmouth-Harvard Men's B-Ball" on 12:39:59 01/07/18 Sun

I see Dartmouth as having a chance to turn the tables on Harvard in the rematch - especially because Harvard's Aiken did not look close to being able to contribute. In this game, Harvard outshot Dartmouth on 3's, an anomaly this year.

I do agree though, that Dartmouth is sorely missing a scorer around the basket (Boudreax) and a lightning quick - pass first PG who can hound the oppenent (like Malik Gil). With those two guys, Dartmouth probably would have won.

As for Harvard, basketball starts with ball movement. Harvard is literally without a PG at this point (starter and backup are injured). Towns, Lewis and Bassey played their roles, and they are the reason Dartmouth only scored 51 points. Those 3 Harvard sophomores are a little lost without a PG, but they still won the game for Harvard. There are missing pieces that will limit the Crimson all year though - you are not incorrect.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Dartmouth-Harvard Men's B-Ball

Author:
Diogenes (John Harvard)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:04:07 01/09/18 Tue

Harvard has a sophomore guard by the name of Juzang. He did a superb job of locking down Dartmouth’s point guard. It will be interesting to see how he performs against the rest of the League. Excellent defensive guards like Juzang are hard to find and are particularly important during tournament play.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dartmouth-Harvard Men's B-Ball

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:54:20 01/09/18 Tue

He had 5 turnovers in that game and is carrying an 82 ORAT which is pretty dismal. He's the back up for Aiken.

I watched a bit of it after the Princeton/Penn women's game started running away from Penn. Both teams looked like they will struggle without major improvement from the level of play displayed on Saturday. But - it's only January. Anything is possible.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dartmouth-Harvard Men's B-Ball

Author:
Diogenes (AsiaSunset)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:43:15 01/09/18 Tue

Asia,

Wasn't familiar with the term "ORAT" so looked it up (offensive rating). Good to know. Thanks. There is also a "DRAT" (defensive rating) which rates Juzang at 102.5 (whatever that means). Juzang did not play much last year but is getting much more time this year.

In the process of looking things up on the Internet, I also came across a post to the effect that Juzang's younger brother attends Harvard-Westlake in L.A. and has just been offered a basketball scholarship by Oregon. Harvard-Westlake is a fine school which sends athletes to Ivy schools. I wonder if Amaker (or any other Ivies) are also on the Juzang recruiting trail??

Best wishes for 2018. Hope you and your family are doing well.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dartmouth-Harvard Men's B-Ball

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:31:54 01/09/18 Tue

Mike James does a lot of quality statistical analysis for Ivy League basketball.

What you want is a high ORAT and low DRAts. But both Mike and the stat experts all agree that DRAT numbers are less reliable and more a function of team play rather than individual performance; that is, one’s DRAT is more a function of how others on the court are performing while ORAT is a more reliable indicator of a particular individual’s contribution.

I do not know anything about his brother but both Harvard and Princeton have highly rated point guards in next year’s incoming class.

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:13:50 01/09/18 Tue

Looked up his brother. He's a 6'6" shooting guard who is very highly ranked and has a number of Power 5 offers. don't think we'll see him in our league.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dartmouth-Harvard Men's B-Ball

Author:
Diogenes (AsiaSunset)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:43:50 01/09/18 Tue

And therein lies the problem with Ivy football and basketball. Ivy hockey and lacrosse teams can recruit excellent players because they regularly compete against the best teams and players. Football never competes against the best and basketball only occasionally.

Ivy football and basketball, absent unusual circumstances, can’t recruit against Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Cal, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, UCLA, Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame etc.

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:22:17 01/11/18 Thu

"Harvard-Westlake is a fine school which sends athletes to Ivy schools."

Yep.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Mark Harmon fun fact

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:14:14 01/11/18 Thu

Mark Harmon, son of Old 99, played six man football at what was then known as "The Harvard School". He went to UCLA and became its starting qb.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Mark Harmon fun fact

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:35:11 01/11/18 Thu

More Mark Harmon fun facts: He first attended and graduated from a local junior college before transferring to UCLA.

One of his two older sisters married Ricky Nelson, son of Ozzie and Harriet, and the other (Kelly), one of the most beautiful women ever, was briefly married to John DeLorean. Harmon himself has been married for a long time to Pam Dawber, better known as Mindy from "Mork & Mindy." That's a lot of celebrity marriages for one family.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Mark Harmon fun fact

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:55:48 01/11/18 Thu

My recollection is that Harmon went to a j.c. in order to learn 11 man football. He was an excellent player for UCLA.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Mark Harmon fun fact

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:06:55 01/11/18 Thu

That makes sense. Quarterback is the one position which does not translate cleanly from six-man to eleven-man football. ESPN has been running a recurring feature story on six-man football in Texas. There, the first player to receive the ball from the center is not allowed to run with it past the line of scrimmage, because the field is so wide open.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Mark Harmon fun fact

Author:
BigRed23
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:40:22 01/11/18 Thu

I had the pleasure of working out with Mark Harmon at Harvard Westlake in LA the summer between my Junior and Senior year at Cornell. Very nice guy I remember him telling me that he got loaner cars from John DeLorean, who was the head of Chevrolet operations for GM, each month. I always hoped his dad would show up but it didn't happen.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Story I heard was

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:49:23 01/11/18 Thu

Story I heard about Harmon was that he did not play his senior year at Harvard School because when he matriculated, he repeated whatever grade he had just finished at his previous school. Thus, his junior year was his fourth year of high school ball.

Hence, no college offers. Hence, the JC route.

And the rest is history....

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Story I heard was

Author:
Diogenes (Go Green)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:53:13 01/11/18 Thu

Thanks, didn't know that. From what I read on the Internet, Harmon was offered a scholarship to Oklahoma, but chose UCLA instead. One thing's for sure, he wasn't just a spoiled Bel-Air kid.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Mark Harmon fun fact

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:26 01/11/18 Thu

I suppose some people would consider this woman to be beautiful.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/actress-kelly-harmon-poses-for-a-portrait-in-1985-in-los-news-photo/464963690#actress-kelly-harmon-poses-for-a-portrait-in-1985-in-los-angeles-picture-id464963690

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/BP6Y3M/kelly-harmon-bay-city-blues-1983-BP6Y3M.jpg

http://www.kellyharmondesigns.com/about

I, on the other hand, .... Oh hell, is she available?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Mark Harmon (sort of) fun fact

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:21:13 01/11/18 Thu