VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: "How Yale Lost Football"

Author:
Sprint66
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:45:27 01/10/18 Wed
In reply to: Son of Eli 's message, "Re: "How Yale Lost Football"" on 20:39:19 01/04/18 Thu

I said many years ago on this site the move to I-AA or FCS in football has been a disaster for Ivy and other member schools. The fact is I-AA does not exist for any other college sport, so why football? We don't have it in basketball, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, track or any other sport..........why football? All I-AA ever did was chase our fans out of our stadiums. Unfortunately at schools like Cornell I doubt we'll even have football within the next ten years, as the program is nothing but a huge financial drain on our athletic department. Our new president Martha Pollack is more interested in promoting her political agenda than trivial things like athletics. The biggest sport today on the Cornell campus are drinking games.....seriously. Go Big Red!!!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: In fairness, Sprint

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:05:18 01/11/18 Thu

The downward decline in Ivy attendance began in the 1970s, and predated the move to I-AA.

You want to argue that the move to I-AA accelerated the decline in attendance or made the declined permanent, go to town. But to suggest (as you have done repeatedly on this Board) that Ivy attendance was at peak levels in 1980, and didn't begin to decline until 1982 is simply not accurate.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: In fairness, Sprint

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:20:57 01/11/18 Thu

gentlemen; thought i would chime in on attendance and think mr go green is correct for the most part attendance for a majority of the ancient eight began to decline in the mid 1970's and decade later for our blue with the exception of the tiger and cantab clashes. move to minority status was indeed the major contributor to the decline.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: "How Yale Lost Football"

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:22:58 01/11/18 Thu

Concerning the decline in Ivy attendance, it is true that it was on the downswing throughout the 70's, prior to the downgrade to Div 1AA. At that time, the reasons for the decline were apparent: move to cooeducation at three of the four powers then at top of League, Yale, Princeton and Dartmouth, thus removing the "Big Weekend" scene with undergraduate population doubling due to influx of dates from girls schools; rise of youth sports disabling attendance of Ivy alum-parents in their 30's and 40's; and more diverse student bodies with fewer avid fans. Even so, the team with the top talent at that time, Yale, resisted those trends quite well, as Harvard game attendance from 1975-1981 exceeded what was the norm in the 50's and 60's (all those games in the Bowl were essentially sellouts), and Dartmouth attendance stayed north of 30,000 when those games were in the Bowl. Also, Navy game in 1981 drew over 40,000. The biggest drag on attendance was collapse of Princeton game as a major draw, caused by The Streak (which largely was caused by Bowen abandonment of Tiger football, a phenomenon I have previously commented on). The moral of this story is that teams succeeding in playing competitive mid-major style football like Yale, could still draw fans (and I think Harvard illustrates this as well). The supine attitude of Bowen, Bok and Giamatti to the 1 AA downgrade proved to be a devastating mistake from which we never have recovered.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: "How Yale Lost Football"

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:28:25 01/11/18 Thu

Giamatti wanted to further de-emphasize football and was more than happy to have the NCAA do the dirty work for him.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.